Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Flash 10 64-bit Ubuntu 9.04 Install

Beans

Post HOWTO: Flash 10 64-bit Ubuntu 9.04 Install

For those of you having issues with flash playback (especially fullscreen) on 64bit ubuntu 9.04 give this little install script a try. It was originally written by Romeo-Adrian Cioaba, but I added some fixes to the scripting that edits the mms.cfg file to help with fullscreen playback. The compressed file contains the latest flash 10 64bit alpha plugin as well as the install script. Please note that this script will kill all instances of firefox currently running, so please don't have anything important open as it will be closed without warning.

Download the file from http://aifcanada.com/flash64.tar.gz

To install just extract the tar.gz into a folder on your desktop, open up terminal and navigate to your newly extracted folder and type
    Code:
    sudo ./flash.sh
    and the script should only take a couple seconds to run. It does uninstall any previous flash plugin's before installing to prevent any issues.

Im running Ubuntu 9.04 64-bit with kernel version 2.6.28-14-generic. Fullscreen flash in nearly flawless on youtube.com (oddly enough it works better in HD mode fullscreen than in standard )

NOTE: This is only tested to work with firefox, this won't install the plugin for other browsers!

Hope this helps everyone struggling with making flash work in 64bit. I've had very good luck with this so far though there is still room for improvement.

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Flash 10 64-bit Ubuntu 9.04 Install

Why are you including the actual Flash player with the script? Isn't that a waste of your host's bandwidth? Why not just use a wget in the script to download from Adobe?

Caveat1: The last time I checked, video acceleration in Flash doesn't work if you're running Compiz: http://blogs.adobe.com/penguin.swf/2...s_the_gpu.html

Caveat2: This script removes nspluginwrapper. If the old flashplugin is the only 32-bit plugin you have installed, then this is harmless. If you're using other 32-bit plugins with nspluginwrapper, they won't work after this.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Thank you!

Now I can finally visit the all-new grand bentley site. YouTube works great also. Thanks!

Ubuntu 9.04 64bit.

Beans

JordanL thank you so very much for this shell script. I spent hours trying to get the alpha to work on 9.04 64-bit, and then came across your script. It worked flawlessly.

Beans

I am running Hardy (8.04) on a 64 bit machine. I have been unable to download Flash Player 10 and therefore cannot view any youtube videos. I downloaded the file flash64.tar.gz and tried to install it using the command "sudo ./flash.sh". My terminal's response was
    sudo: ./flash.sh: command not found

What am I doing wrong?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by bobterri73 View Post
    I am running Hardy (8.04) on a 64 bit machine. I have been unable to download Flash Player 10 and therefore cannot view any youtube videos. I downloaded the file flash64.tar.gz and tried to install it using the command "sudo ./flash.sh". My terminal's response was

What am I doing wrong?
    Shot in the dark: try making it executable, chmod +x flash.sh, then try executing it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by bobterri73 View Post

What am I doing wrong?
    The reason it didn't work is because you didn't direct it to where the .sh is.
    Type

Code:
    sudo sh .(drag the .sh file here)
    Don't type the whole parenthesis part obviously.

Beans

The script ran fine, and some sites requiring Flash 10 worked, but many others caused the Firefox to crash. In the future I would recommend that suggestions for installation scripts like this one be accompanied by removal instructions (i.e. something more than "I don't guarantee this will work for everyone and I am not responsible if this causes any damage.")

I deleted /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so and now the crashing is gone, but I'm stabbing in the dark on how to revert back to flash 9.

Beans

Sorry to be a bother, but I need a little more explanation, what do you mean by ".(drag the .sh file here)". Thanks for any help you can give. I am not real technically savvy with computers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I was optimistic -- script ran fine, thanks -- but Flash still doesn't work.

~shrugs~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast