Thread: Phoronix Test Suite

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Phoronix Test Suite

The Phoronix Test Suite has so many built-in tests, just wondering if there is a single test or a small number of tests I can use to test the stability of the cpu when overclocking.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Phoronix Test Suite

Quote Originally Posted by swong View Post
    The Phoronix Test Suite has so many built-in tests, just wondering if there is a single test or a small number of tests I can use to test the stability of the cpu when overclocking.
    Tellya what I use.

Got a Core i7 920 overclocked to 3.5GHz on air using stock voltage and a big Zalman 9900 heatsink and fan. I use the SMP version of folding@home to stress test a machine - linkage here:

http://folding.stanford.edu/English/LinSMPGuide

I had to install the latest lm-sensors from source but once I got all the thermal indicators running and started folding@home I had eight threads kicking the crap out of this processor. Even at the stock 2.66GHz with a stock heatsink and fan the i7 started throttling back once the temperature reached 80 degrees (yeah, that's hot). With the Zalman fan installed, the machine overclocked to 3.5GHz and eight threads of folding@home running highest temp I ever saw was 75 degrees and the machine idles at 45 give or take.

Hope this helps -
    we don't see things as they are, we see them as we are.
    -- anais nin

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks, I will check it out.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I did some experimenting in PTS, there is a test called "StressCPU2", it can load all cores at 100% for up to 12 hrs.