Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gigabyte T1028M Issues with Touchpad and Touchscreen

Beans

Question Gigabyte T1028M Issues with Touchpad and Touchscreen

Hey guys!

I have a Gigabyte T1028M tablet netbook. I love it. It shipped with XP, however, and for a guy who's used to SSHing into his machines, this would not work. I have had OS X running on it for a while, but I was not very pleased with the hardware incompatibility, so last night I installed Kubuntu 9.04.

Unfortunately, the mouse does not work. I know it is a multitouch mouse, and a place where I was reading stated it was made by elantech. I searched around on the Ubuntu forums, and none of the resources helped me. I have sudo apt-get update'd and sudo apt-get upgrade'd to the newest versions of everything in the repositories, so I should have the newest stuff (right?).

Anyways, I'm looking for help getting the touchpad (made by potentially Elantech) and the touchscreen (made by eGalax) working under Kubuntu. Does anyone have any ideas? The mouse currently does not work at all, however the touchscreen does allow me to click, but not move the mouse.

Furthermore, how can I check if the webcam is working, if the computer can sleep properly, and if other features of it work? Any easy way?

Thanks in advance!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Gigabyte T1028M Issues with Touchpad and Touchscreen

Hi Legolover64,

I think eGalax has linux drivers. Also I believe the evtouch driver works for it. Check Synaptic Package Manager to see if evtouch is installed.

For the webcam you could try installing Cheese through Synaptic.

Beans

Thank you for the reply!

I installed evtouch, but randomly (less than 5 minutes after the display manager loads) the entire computer locks up! I can't move the mouse (with the touchscreen) or type anything.

Unfortunately, the trackpad also still does not work. Does anyone have any ideas about how to fix it?

EDIT: Also, for the eGalax drivers, how do I know if the touchscreen is hooked in via RS232, PS/2 or USB? I need this to be able to install it.
    Last edited by Legolover64; August 3rd, 2009 at 11:52 PM.

Beans

Hi Leglover64,

i check some fixes from the 902 out, the touchpad one works with my t1028x fine:

open /boot/grub/menu.lst as root

go to the line begins with '# kopt=root=UID=123123123123... ro ' and put after this 'i8042.noloop=1'

save and rebuilt with 'sudo update-grub '

reboot and the touchpad works fine.

I also checked out some fix-ideas for the touchscreen. The Penmount doesnt work, it crashes like you said randomly after a few minutes.

The Ubuntu Setup installs touchpad drivers nearly good, the right mouse-click isnt avaiable, and not so fast as with the reinstalled penmount driver it crashes, too.

Maybe it is an special problem for the variant of the 1028 with hd-resolution..?

I hope this helps a little, maybe someone has a resolution for the touchpad problem.

Best regardes,

Doktor Wahnsinn

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Doktor.Wahnsinn View Post
    Hi Leglover64,

i check some fixes from the 902 out, the touchpad one works with my t1028x fine:

open /boot/grub/menu.lst as root

go to the line begins with '# kopt=root=UID=123123123123... ro ' and put after this 'i8042.noloop=1'

save and rebuilt with 'sudo update-grub '

reboot and the touchpad works fine.

I also checked out some fix-ideas for the touchscreen. The Penmount doesnt work, it crashes like you said randomly after a few minutes.

The Ubuntu Setup installs touchpad drivers nearly good, the right mouse-click isnt avaiable, and not so fast as with the reinstalled penmount driver it crashes, too.

Maybe it is an special problem for the variant of the 1028 with hd-resolution..?

I hope this helps a little, maybe someone has a resolution for the touchpad problem.

Best regardes,

Doktor Wahnsinn
    Thank you so much for your advice!

I now have the trackpad working.

However, I now have problems with the wifi. How do I get it to work? Also, how do I get the sleep and ACPI to work? How does i work on the T1028X?

Thanks again!

Beans

Hi LegoLover64,

try this: Put your t1028 during the setup via hardwire lan to your dhcp router,which is online.

The setup checks than additional the possible hardware matches with an internet source up.

I have working wifi,acpi - means standby/suspend mode. In suspend mode the wifi doesnt wake upd the hardkey also is dead ,but in standby it does run, thats is ok for me; all works with the normal ubuntu network image.

greetings,

Doktor Wahnsinn
    Last edited by Doktor.Wahnsinn; August 5th, 2009 at 07:45 PM.

Beans

Thanks for the idea. I will try that.

I am distressed that my wifi is not working. I feel as though it's possible that the switch was turned "off" before I installed ubuntu. Is there any way to turn this on without reinstalling windows?

Beans

Hi,
    this is not important for wifi installation, its just a hardkey put throught the keyboard chip. If it not works, its another problem.

as i said, check setup with online status.

greetings,

Doktor Wahnsinn
    Last edited by Doktor.Wahnsinn; August 5th, 2009 at 08:09 PM.

Beans

Doktor Wahnsinn,

Do you have any ways of getting the touchscreen to work? Beyond the evtouch/nonfunctional eGalax drivers, what do you recommend? Is there any way to get evtouch to not crash?

My WiFi is also definitely not working, I do not know why. I had the computer plugged in while installing... any ideas?

Also, is there any way to configure the button on the side of the computer to rotate the screen so the computer can be used in portrait mode?
    Last edited by Legolover64; August 7th, 2009 at 07:36 PM.

Beans

Hi,

as i said, my touchpad works fine after installation with the ubuntu network image. maybe its another device in the 1028m than in the 1028x.

i try to get infomrmations about the used hardware.

the same to your wifi problem. it works 'out of the box' fine, with a better connection quality and speed than on xp.

i checked the button not out until now, it gives no action , nether to the editor or any other effect.

i use an equal button on my athena, would be nice, if it works in the same way.

meanwhile you can go to panell,add to panel and choose the screen icon .

after this, it appears at the top panel and with mouseclick left you can choose rotation now directly.

if you have something new, post it, i'll too.

best regardes,

Doktor Wahnsinn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast