Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Removing ubuntu from my wifes Vista Laptop

Beans

Removing ubuntu from my wifes Vista Laptop

now that I have a dedicated ubuntu machine working I would like to remove ubuntu completely from my wifes laptop (she is quite delicate about having the dual boot options list come up)

do you guy know how to do this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Removing ubuntu from my wifes Vista Laptop

How did you install Ubuntu? If it's inside Windows then it would be easy to remove it from the programs list.

If it has a separate partition, you can just delete the partition and correct your boot sequence (MBR).

In order for us to help you, we need to know how Ubuntu got there.
    advocating Free and Open Source Software, supporting the Open Web
    fight for your right to party and get your free cloud storage now

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Just a thought, but if you actually would quite like to leave Ubuntu in place for emergencies but just hide it during the boot sequence, you can do this easily (and there's a small chance of screwing up Vista when you actually remove Ubuntu, so this is also the safer option).

You can either:
    1/ Edit the grub menu.lst file to hide the grub menu and set the timeout to zero - so grub will boot straight in Windows.
    See http://www.debianadmin.com/show-and-...on-ubuntu.html
    (but I'd suggest using 'gksudo gedit' instead of 'sudo vi' unless you're familiar with the 'vi' editor).

or
    2/ Install the startup-manager package which gives you a gui front end to make the same changes.

If you do this you'll be able to use the LiveCD to reverse the change if you subsequently need Ubuntu to be visible again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Why would you need a live CD to edit grub to make an old version of Ubuntu visible again? Just use a livecd then..

I don't know how you installed Ubuntu, but you could remove it completely by removing the partition (believe you can do this from within Windows) and creating a new NTFS disk. Make sure you have a Windows boot disk so you can fix the mbr though.
    Upgrade Ubuntu | Upgrade unsupported Ubuntu versions | Always backup | Howto upgrade flash
    Minimal CD install | Remove old kernels | My blog | Linux user #462801 | Conscience doth make cowards of us all. -- Shakespeare

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by Johnecash View Post
    now that I have a dedicated ubuntu machine working I would like to remove ubuntu completely from my wifes laptop (she is quite delicate about having the dual boot options list come up)

do you guy know how to do this?
    Just boot into vista and go to disk management. In there the Ubuntu partition/drive will be laballed something like unknown/unrecognized file system. Frag it in other words format it NTFS. You're done.

NB. MAKE SURE everything you need is no longer on that drive. there is no going back.

As slakkie said. A win boot disk is vital.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I think a SuperGrubDisk will fix MBR also

http://www.supergrubdisk.org/

Link: Help Vampires? * * * Please Edit First Post Title With "[SOLVED]" When It Is!
    MANDATORY INFORMATION: make, model/build number, OSes, software, accessories
    /customizations/modifications/peripherals/etc...and a DETAILED account of difficulties!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by Regenweald View Post
    Just boot into vista and go to disk management.
    the Ubuntu partition/drive will be labelled something like unknown/unrecognized file system.
    Frag it in other words format it NTFS. You're done.
    Nope, GRUB is still installed on the MBR,
    and will now complain about "missing files"

NB. MAKE SURE everything you need is no longer on that drive. there is no going back.
    Again, nope... most MS-Windows "formats" are non-destructive to the actual data.

but still, I agree, MAKING BACKUPS IS AN EXCELLENT IDEA.

A customer had her husband accidentally reinstall XP on her school-work machine, and I recovered almost 100% of her files.

As slakkie said. A win boot disk is vital.
    Yep, using this to repair the MBR will eliminate the initial GRUB boot,
    THEN you can eliminate the Linux partitions...

SuperGRUB is also excellent, +1, as LewRockwell stated...
    but I have no personal experience with Vista MBR.
    I know it works with MS-XP MBR and all previous Windows products.
    "Free software is a matter of liberty, not price." -- Richard Stallman
    So don't forget to tip your software authors!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

With the constant reboots that windows requires, it must be irksome to see the foreign-looking GRUB screen. Might as well be a foreign language. I would leave Ubuntu as an emergency boot partition and just make windows the default boot. Set a really short delay (say 1 second). Rename the Ubuntu title to "Emergency Windows Repair"
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by tgalati4 View Post
    With the constant reboots that windows requires, it must be irksome to see the foreign-looking GRUB screen. Might as well be a foreign language. I would leave Ubuntu as an emergency boot partition and just make windows the default boot. Set a really short delay (say 1 second). Rename the Ubuntu title to "Emergency Windows Repair"
    I'd be very inclined to do this also(and make sure you take a little time once in awhile to keep Ubuntu updated...you never know when you might want to use it)

Link: Help Vampires? * * * Please Edit First Post Title With "[SOLVED]" When It Is!
    MANDATORY INFORMATION: make, model/build number, OSes, software, accessories
    /customizations/modifications/peripherals/etc...and a DETAILED account of difficulties!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Girlfriends vista lappy is used by her kids. I put ubuntu on it for me.
    Under advanced install I put grub on the ubuntu partition.
    Then I used easybcd to modify the vista bootloader. 2 secs timeout with vista the default OS.

Kids are unaware that ubuntu is on there. Result everyone happy.
    Last edited by philinux; August 3rd, 2009 at 10:14 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast