Thread: Newbie Tech needs help!

Beans

Newbie Tech needs help!

I am a newbie both to this group and to Computer tech world. I have an essay to write for a term paper comparing and contrasting the three most popular os' XP, Vista & Linux Ubuntu. I am having problems starting. I want to ascertain whether or not Specifications/Hardware Requirements and Features are not the same thing. I have done some research on the web but just starting is the issue. Also would it be better to take say one version in each os and compare and contrast those??

Beans

Re: Newbie Tech needs help!

Ubuntu's more popular than OS X?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Have you actually used all three systems? Also, to make sure you are comparing 'apples' to 'apples', are you going to compare XP pre-service packs to Vista pre-service packs and Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper Drake, or are you going to compare, say, Windows XP SP 3, Vista SP 2, and Ubuntu 8.04 or 9.04? Let's not forget OS X, either. Or Macintosh OS, if you are going prior to OS X.

The 3 packages you specified are also all desktop packages. Are you ignoring server packages?

If you are going to ask an open ended question which would take pages to properly cover, this is probably not the proper forum.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I agree with cwsnyder: comparing Vista, XP, and Ubuntu is too general of a topic. To adequately inform someone of the similarities and difference of the OS's would take hundreds of pages.
    If you want to ask more specific questions, this would be a good place to ask.

Good luck coming up with a topic you will be able to write on.

Beans

You can start by talking about sizes of these 3 OS' kernels. This comparison, I think, opens lots of doors. I mean, you can then discuss why it is so etc...

Beans

Thanks to all the persons who replied to my call for help on the term paper
    Your suggestions were helpful and I completed the paper!