Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 60-second restart delay

Beans

Question 60-second restart delay

I don't remember when it started, but it's fairly recent that Ubuntu gives me a "The computer will restart in 60 seconds", and then begins countdown. I don't know if there's a good reason that I need to wait that long, or why I now get it consistently, and I don't see this problems in Ubuntu-related threads. Some have got a message like this as a Windows virus, and that's freaking me out, except that it hasn't shut me down when I don't want it to. If I don't want to wait a whole minute before it begins the process, sometimes there's a nasty beep, and then restart begins, but it's annoying when I have to deal with this, and then I wonder if I should wait. Anybody know what this is?

Thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: 60-second restart delay

the 60-second thing is part of ubuntu jaunty, and you should see it every time you reboot. the beep too, though that should be better in karmic. you don;t have to wait the 60 seconds if you don't want to; just click the "Shutdown now" button.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Like doas777 said, It's part of Ubuntu. To get rid of it...

* Right click on your username (the "Fast User Switch Applet") and select Preferences.
    * Uncheck "Show confirm dialogs for logout, restart and shutdown"
    Last edited by rCXer; August 3rd, 2009 at 03:23 AM.

Beans

Hey, guys, thanks - it's good to know that there's nothing wrong here! But does anyone know if it's really doing anything which would be worth waiting for during that 60 seconds of our time, should we choose to wait? I have not noticed my fan running any faster while it's counting down, as it will in it's final gasp before shutdown or restart (while doing stuff like writing recovery images, or anything which would prevent system performance problems), but if there isn't a purpose for this, then who decided to annoy us with it?
    Last edited by DGeeez; August 3rd, 2009 at 07:47 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by DGeeez View Post
    Hey, guys, thanks - it's good to know that there's nothing wrong here! But does anyone know if it's really doing anything which would be worth waiting for during that 60 seconds of our time, should we choose to wait? I have not noticed my fan running any faster while it's counting down, as it will in it's final gasp before shutdown or restart (while doing stuff like writing recovery images, or anything which would prevent system performance problems), but if there isn't a purpose for this, then who decided to annoy us with it?

no the 60 seconds is there for the user. the PC is doing nothing (or whatever it was doing when you asked it to shutdown).

the 60 seconds is there so that any other users connected to the box have time to save their work, etc. the counter is just there to make sure you don't hit the button and walk away, not realizing that there was a confirmation box sitting on the screen.

Beans

It's a bad idea - it must go!

I've just got to say, this distro is really moving in the wrong direction when it starts to nag those who rejected Vista as badly as the same, or in some ways worse. This particular nag is not even a Vista nag, it's a nag original, and it couldn't be more ridiculous. Microsoft may give you a "other users may be connected" warning, but that's a little more intelligent than just starting a no-purpose-given countdown - sheesh!!! So, Ubuntu engineers, there may just be more than one user sharing YOUR box, but I, like at least half of your users, am the sole user of the network-connected box at my job, as with the box at home in my cave, and an intelligent operating system should recognize the difference, so that it won't nag you when you are the only logged in user.

Beans

This particular nag is not even a Vista nag, it's a nag original,
    This is very much a Unix/Linux idea. Perhaps it seems out of place on a single user desktop but it can easily be turned off. But for some I can see it being useful.

Beans

Heh heh - "fast user switcher applet" - how many times can you say that fast in 60 seconds?

Thanks, rCXer! Well, it took me awhile to figure out what the above refers to. I didn't know it referred to the gnome panel icons, which are referred to as "widgets" when you go to add one to it, and it sounded to me more like something you would find under the Adm... menu - LOL!

The feature is easily disabled, when you know where to go change it, but why should anyone need to? Isn't computing technology advanced enough that a system would know when there are other users logged in, and not nag you when you are the only one? Sorry, but I just can't ignore the appearance of something so half-baked, no matter how much I didn't pay for it.

Anyway, this mission-impossible-inspired feature can be amusing when you look at it that way, and it may be useful to some, but for the purpose of preventing scrolling errors on that small drop down where one might shut down instead of logout, how about launching a window full of big buttons in place of that scrolling menu? I know, it's KDE-style, and I prefer GNOME in most ways, but hybridization is sometimes good for evolution.
    Last edited by DGeeez; August 5th, 2009 at 04:16 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

HSorry, but I just can't ignore the appearance of something so half-baked, no matter how much I didn't pay for it.
    It's a safety-net. If you pressed the button when you didn't mean to, you get a chance to cancel. If you want to shut down immediately, you can press the appropriate button. If you definitely meant to press the button and you've wandered off to do something else, the computer will still shut down as you'd expect.

There are at least two posts that I can remember where it turned out to be useful; one poster had a shorting power switch and the other had a small child that loved to press buttons. In both cases, having the confirmation dialogue helped them to not lose their work because the computer had just shut down.

for the purpose of preventing scrolling errors on that small drop down where one might shut down instead of logout, how about launching a window full of big buttons in place of that scrolling menu?
    You mean like if you use the Shut Down... applet rather than the User Switcher applet?
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CatKiller View Post
    It's a safety-net. If you pressed the button when you didn't mean to, you get a chance to cancel. If you want to shut down immediately, you can press the appropriate button. If you definitely meant to press the button and you've wandered off to do something else, the computer will still shut down as you'd expect.

There are at least two posts that I can remember where it turned out to be useful; one poster had a shorting power switch and the other had a small child that loved to press buttons. In both cases, having the confirmation dialogue helped them to not lose their work because the computer had just shut down.

You mean like if you use the Shut Down... applet rather than the User Switcher applet?
    Hail, Catkiller-god!

Well, the only error which is conceivable for one who isn't sharing his PC would be caused by a scrolling error on the tiny drop-down menu. As far as pressing the button when you didn't mean to, and then scrolling down to anything fatal, has anyone actually done that? With text on either side of the button (I've got my login name on one side, and the date on the other), it seems no easy feat of accident. But then again, if the shutdown system was changed so that a window of options was launched, as is done with KDE distros, then two actions would be required for an error. I think the KDE menu system is far more tedious for all of the horizontal scrolling which it requires, but when it's time to restart, nothing was ever made easier. It's something which you won't turn away from, thinking it's done already, when it isn't. Not an issue with a shutdown, but there were a number of times when I was forced to restart because of upgrades, new software I was trying, or the failure of others which I had tried. I'd go to get a beer, and when I came back, the restart hadn't even begun yet - that's when it can get annoying!
    Last edited by DGeeez; August 5th, 2009 at 11:30 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast