Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HOW TO: Remove PulseAudio and Install ESound (ALSA)

Beans

Re: HOW TO: Remove PulseAudio and Install ESound (ALSA)

Quote Originally Posted by simplyw00x View Post
    What exactly is the benefit of uninstalling Pulseaudio? It works fine for me, and you haven't mentioned either what benefits you think it will give or what features you will definitely lose.
    Quote Originally Posted by coldReactive View Post
    ESound doesn't take up as much processing power (if any at all) as pulseaudio does. Not to mention, it's only about 200-400 KB in size, and only one package rather than a few.
    My opinion (and that's all it is - my opinion, so keep that in mind while you read this post) is that unless you have extremely limited resources or some kind of old or incompatible hardware that your system would actually benefit from purging PulseAudio from your system, that you're probably better off learning how to set up PulseAudio correctly (which is almost as easy as geting rid of it) and becoming familiar with it, because it is not going away. This is the future my friends, and there may come a day in the not so distant future when you may not have the option, or they will at least make it more difficult, to fall back on ESound any more. Yes, Pulse uses more resources and it does take more packages, but it also supports a wider range of devices. Pulse is indeed broken and only halfway installed in Ubuntu 9.04, but it is possible to install the missing packages and get it running correctly on Hardy, Intrepid and Jaunty:

HOWTO: PulseAudio Fixes & System-Wide Equalizer Support

I too was opposed to PulseAudio in the beginning because I saw no need for yet another Linux sound architecture, but now that I have it set up and working like it's supposed to, I actually quite like it. And I'm running it on an Eee PC 1000HA netbook with a puny little 1.6GHz N270 Atom processor, and the performance hit has not been as dreadful as I expected, and will only get better as the developers continue to improve it.

Like I said, this is just my opinion. Take it for what it's worth. I'm not trying to start a debate, I just wanted to present a logical reason for adopting it rather than getting rid of it. Just my two cents on the subject, that's all.
    Registered Linux user #39144

Beans

Esound? Esound? No!
    Esound is useful for those running Hardy, who want to get rid of PulseAudio and still have system/event sounds. Other than that, run as far away from esound as you can. There is a reason that it has been replaced by libcanberra.
    I was reading a book about Genghis Khan when I made my account and I empathized with aspects of his life. It doesn't mean I want to kill everyone. You're taking the interweb too seriously. I'm trying to help you, seriously. Use the eye test.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Temüjin View Post
    Esound? Esound? No!
    Esound is useful for those running Hardy, who want to get rid of PulseAudio and still have system/event sounds. Other than that, run as far away from esound as you can. There is a reason that it has been replaced by libcanberra.
    I don't like seeing pulseaudio in any system monitoring software.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by coldReactive View Post
    I don't like seeing pulseaudio in any system monitoring software.
    Removing pulseaudio is okay for now, but GNOME is becoming increasingly dependent on Pulseaudio. In Ubuntu 9.10, it's a real challenge to go without PulseAudio (I run an Ubuntu 9.10 with OSS4 and the volume control and sound settings dialogs don't run without it.)
    I was reading a book about Genghis Khan when I made my account and I empathized with aspects of his life. It doesn't mean I want to kill everyone. You're taking the interweb too seriously. I'm trying to help you, seriously. Use the eye test.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Temüjin View Post
    (I run an Ubuntu 9.10 with OSS4 and the volume control and sound settings dialogs don't run without it.)
    Yes, I have the same problem on 9.10 with Esound

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by colorprint View Post
    Yes, I have the same problem on 9.10 with Esound
    That's your problem then.

Beans
    Hidden!

This worked fine for me. I had followed the "Howto Setup up Pulse Audio tut" but this killed esound from Audacious, VLC, Totem. So removing pulseaudio fixed it for me
    No longer participating......

Beans

I like remove pulseaudio because don't work with the microphone on VirtualBox 3.

Beans

Ok, for those running GNOME in Karmic without PulseAudio, who want their volume control and media-keys back: https://launchpad.net/~dtl131/+archive/ppa

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I'm a bit of an Ubuntu noob, but...I can't find this screen...how do I get there?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast