Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broadcom STA offline installation

Beans

Broadcom STA offline installation

Hello,
    I have a hp pavilion laptop with broadcom 4312 wireless card. The broadcom STA driver shows up in the restricted drivers windows but I can't install it because I currently havo no wired connection. Where could i find a .deb package of this driver for offline installation ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Broadcom STA offline installation

Is there any way you can find the name of the package? If so, you can use Keryx to download the driver.
    Myth: Linux is only usable with a persistent Internet connection. WRONG!
    You can use Keryx to download your .debs with dependencies from any OS!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I also had to install the STA driver for my card recently. Go here:

http://ppa.launchpad.net/albertomilo.../main/b/bcmwl/

and download the proper "kernel-source" and "modaliases" packages for your architecture, install them with "dpkg". Apparently this repo is for Karmic, but I just used those packages to install the sta driver on a Mint 7 install (based on Jaunty) no problem. So it should work for you.

Cheers!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks Anakondarh. It seems like my computer did the same thing after installing Karmic Alpha 6. Funnily, though during the LiveCD portion it recognized my WiFi (maybe cuz I still had 9.04 on there), but after the installation I was up a river. I cant see why they cant make a deb file for this, as I was in the same situation as BXCracer (this actually isnt the first time) where I dont have access to a working ethernet connection. Anyway, thanks again.

I'm gonna drop a few keywords in case anyone else is googling for broadcom wireless .deb file Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

The Broadcom STA driver does not need an internet connection. It is part of the Ubuntu restricted modules.

If you are not able to get it activated through System->Administration->Hardware Drivers, you can try the following from the Terminal to see if the module is there:
    Code:
    sudo depmod -a
    modprobe -l|grep wl
    The first command will rebuild the module dependencies list and then the second command lists the kernel modules that exist containing wl. If the wl module shows up, then you can try the following:
    Code:
    sudo modprobe -r b43 ssb wl
    sudo modprobe wl
    sudo iwlist scan
    This will remove the possible wireless modules loaded, load the proper one and then scan for wireless sites.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Ayuthia View Post
    The Broadcom STA driver does not need an internet connection. It is part of the Ubuntu restricted modules.

If you are not able to get it activated through System->Administration->Hardware Drivers, you can try the following from the Terminal to see if the module is there:
    Code:
    sudo depmod -a
    modprobe -l|grep wl
    The first command will rebuild the module dependencies list and then the second command lists the kernel modules that exist containing wl. If the wl module shows up, then you can try the following:
    Code:
    sudo modprobe -r b43 ssb wl
    sudo modprobe wl
    sudo iwlist scan
    This will remove the possible wireless modules loaded, load the proper one and then scan for wireless sites.
    I would classify you as a baddass.

Beans

This solution worked for me! Thanks!

But is there a way to keep it working after reboot without having to take the module down and up again?

Beans

I also had a problem with Jockey with the new installation of Karmic 64bit / kubuntu actually.. I had to do the following to get jockey to come alive - then I was able to install my correct WIFI driver and nvidia drivers.

sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get -y install --reinstall jockey-common
    sudo jockey-text -l

Beans

Can't get it to work. Tried various things:

Dell Mini 9
    Ubuntu 9.10 (upgrade from 9.04)

- Synaptic confirms bcmwl-kernel source & bcmwl-modaliases installed.
    - Jockey (Hardware drivers) shows the hardware detected and offers to install the driver. I click 'Accept' and authenticate w/ password, but it never enables the driver.
    - Tried reinstalling both bcmwl-kernel/modalias & jockey.
    - Tried removing these and installing the debs from Alberto Milo (which are older versions than the ones in the ubuntu reps)

Driver never gets installed (modprobe doesn't show the wl driver).

Something isn't allowing the bcm driver to get installed.

Wired e-net works just fine.

Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

This thread may have the solution 1312603
    Happily running several flavours of Ubuntu

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast