Thread: Guide to Get the Best Performace from the GMA 500

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Guide to Get the Best Performace from the GMA 500

Quote Originally Posted by KillKRT View Post
    Perfect! Now it works!!!
    Thank you very much!!!
    I recommend this guide to all 1101HA owners! Follow it step by step!
    So far I've skipped just a step: modifiyng the kernel parameters (in grub), because it seems to be optional.
    It is optional, but I put it there because on my 1101HA it gave much better performance...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by KillKRT View Post
    Perfect! Now it works!!!
    Thank you very much!!!
    I recommend this guide to all 1101HA owners! Follow it step by step!
    So far I've skipped just a step: modifiyng the kernel parameters (in grub), because it seems to be optional.
    Also my 1101HA seems to work with that guide...
    BUT ...
    Suspend-to-ram works as expected, but when I resume the system, after some time (from seconds to minutes) the screen begins "flickering" wildly, and the whole system is dead (i.e. no caps, no fn keys working, no switching to console, just the plain old power button works). So, the only way out is hard reset ...

This is, btw, the same issue that I had with the "standard" karmic beta /daily , without the additional drivers. Apart from the wrong resolution, after a while, randomly, the screen went "crazy" and the only solution was hard reset. So I did the additional drivers installation from the console, in single mode, with wired network.
    Any hint on that?
    Cheers
    fiamazo

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

@fiamazo: get your eee back to asus asap... The only thing I've seen remotely approaching that is when I have my eee in performance mode and I suspend, the text fonts get fuzzy (eg in konsole) and I have to switch to a console (ctrl-alt-f1) and back (ctrl-alt-f7) to fix it. Also, sometimes when I switch to power saving mode I see some fuzzyness/flickering, but a switch to a console and back fixes it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jbernardo View Post
    @fiamazo: get your eee back to asus asap... The only thing I've seen remotely approaching that is when I have my eee in performance mode and I suspend, the text fonts get fuzzy (eg in konsole) and I have to switch to a console (ctrl-alt-f1) and back (ctrl-alt-f7) to fix it. Also, sometimes when I switch to power saving mode I see some fuzzyness/flickering, but a switch to a console and back fixes it.
    I see.
    In fact, I'm using linux from an SD card, and I never ever used windows on the hard disk, since I don't want to accept the EULA of Windows XP, and I'm trying to ask for refund for the Windows XP license, from Asus (Italy).
    I also experienced the fuzzy fonts after a resume, just 30 seconds before the whole system going crazy, and the screen flashing (indeed, it's not really flashing, you see that there's the "desktop image" on the back, just distorded by some crazy diagonal "wind").
    Moreover, since I have the right drivers AND I don't suspend, I never experienced any lock/freezing of the screen. The system works/worked fine for hours.
    That's why I thought it's a kernel/module issue, but I don't know how to log/record/report it, not related to the machine itself ...
    I can try to boot windows, and stay in the very first screen, without acceppting any EULA, just waiting for the screen to crash ... If you think that the machine itself is defective, then the behaviour should appear also in Windows, or it's very initial stage ...
    Thanks for the comments, btw ...
    Fiamazo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

First off I wanted to say thanks for this thread. I spent the better part of a day trying to figure this out, this was the only thread I found that actually worked! Also just wanted to bump it so I can find it later =)
    . . . go to work, send your kids to school, follow fashion, act normal, walk on the pavements, watch T.V., save for your old age, obey the law. Repeat after me: I am free. --anonymous

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Hello there .. I recently bought a dell mini 12 on which I installed kubuntu 9.04 .. I followed this tutorial but after I ran

sudo apt-get install poulsbo-driver-2d poulsbo-driver-3d psb-firmware
    I pressed restart but a black screen was showing and the machine didn't restart at all .. then after booting once again I still see a black screen .. also there was a problem in autheticating the keys related to the previous steps .. where did I go wrong ?

Beans

Has anyone else lost the shutdown splash screen? I still have the boot/startup splash screen with the Ubuntu logo and progress bar, but there's nothing but a blank screen on shutdown/hibernate. I wouldn't consider this to be a significant bug but rather an annoyance. However, I would like to know that the shutdown/hibernate process is progressing and, thus, the splash screen would be nice to have.

BTW: I'm still not getting anything flash working, even simple flash-based websites. I'm wondering if my flash install isn't valid - is there anything I can do to check or fix this?

Thanks,
    - Brett

Beans

Hi,
    Please could you tell me what is the guide to install the driver psb for Ubuntu 9.10. Actually, I'm using Ubuntu 9.04 in a Aspire One 751H and I could run compiz, but I want to upgrade to 9.10 version and I would to like how to install the psb drivers.

Thank you.

Beans

I did this: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1253406 on my Asus Eee 1101ha after upgrading to Karmic, and it's working

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pumex1990 View Post
    I did this: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1253406 on my Asus Eee 1101ha after upgrading to Karmic, and it's working
    I've here to say my very truth on 1101ha. I initially installed 9.10 Beta on my 1101ha, and after installing the proper *psb* drivers, I had a somehow working machine. The real problem was that, sometimes and indipendently from the cpu usage, X decided to freeze, showing some sort of distorted "previous" image flickering and dancing ... No way to recover, only reboot helped. BTW, the problem showed up exactly every time I resumed from suspend, just few seconds afterwards ... and only randomly after a fresh reboot.
    Because of that, I decided to give a chance to 9.04. Great, rock solid, I guess I've still to reboot once (after installing psb stuff, obviously ...), I'm just suspending and resuming
    Anyway, I really hope that there will be a standard way in the future to use the Poulsbo drivers also with later kernels, and that Karmic will support GMA 500 chipset in a semi official way (~official ppas).
    Cheers,
    Fiamazo

Page 9 of 543 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109509 ... LastLast