Page 147 of 543 FirstFirst ... 4797137145146147148149157197247 ... LastLast
Results 1,461 to 1,470 of 5425

Thread: Guide to Get the Best Performace from the GMA 500

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Guide to Get the Best Performace from the GMA 500

OK, for those, who - apart from or instead of MPlayer - want to use VLC, there is a way, based on Cutting Edge Repositories and H3g3m0n's developments. I've just checked it on my Dell Mini 12 - works pretty fine. It goes as follows:

1) Add repo from Cutting Edge and update:

Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nvidia-vdpau/cutting-edge-multimedia && sudo apt-get update
    2) Install VLC and its dependencies (remember to have Ubuntu unverse repos turned on):

Code:
    sudo apt-get install vlc
    3) Resolve the problems with libva:

Code:
    sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libva-x11-0.31.1.1.so.1.0.3 /usr/lib/libva-x11-0.31.0.6.so.1
    sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libva-glx-0.31.1.1.so.1.0.3 /usr/lib/libva-glx-0.31.0.6.so.1
    sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libva-0.31.1.1.so.1.0.3 /usr/lib/libva-0.31.0.6.so.1
    4) Set in VLC's preferences video output to x11.

Good luck!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gtaluvit View Post
    But you have time to build a LiveCD image? I don't have time to read pages of updates per day and then be told to download an image, transfer it to a bootable thumbstick, and then drain battery constantly just so I can run a LiveUSB that won't have everything I want installed or customized when I can simply add a PPA and be happy. If the wiki isn't right, mark it as such but don't make excuses. I appreciate everything you guys have done but that's just being lazy to not update documentation and instead do something fancy.
    my native language is not english.. so it's difficult for me to mantain wiki pages in other language = no time.. sorry.

Edit:
    I don't like this rants, try to contribute in a positive way or don't add these polemics.
    You know who to ask for official drivers and documentation, this is a community effort.
    I've the time to do what i like, this should not interest you.
    salut
    Last edited by lucazade; July 16th, 2010 at 11:45 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by gtaluvit View Post
    But you have time to build a LiveCD image? I don't have time to read pages of updates per day and then be told to download an image, transfer it to a bootable thumbstick, and then drain battery constantly just so I can run a LiveUSB that won't have everything I want installed or customized when I can simply add a PPA and be happy. If the wiki isn't right, mark it as such but don't make excuses. I appreciate everything you guys have done but that's just being lazy to not update documentation and instead do something fancy.
    The wiki page is community maintained. Perhaps you should maintain it.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi.zazen View Post
    The wiki page is community maintained. Perhaps you should maintain it.
    I agree.

This forum and the wiki are used, staffed and maintained by volunteers. Each of us brings our own set of strengths and weaknesses to the mix, and perhaps this is an opportunity for someone new to join the team and help maintain the wiki.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans

I have a small problem I'm hoping you guys can help fix. I initially had the 2d drivers installed and I was waiting for the beta 3d drivers to be sorted out (when they were in the fix ppa/repo?), but then they were merged and there was a new config file pushed over the ppa via System Update. After this happened, Thunderbird doesn't display correctly for me. See the pic attached.

I think this has to do with compositing or something, but I'm not the expert here. Do I need to change an option in my xorg.conf to fix this? Right now my xorg.conf is pretty barebones.

Any pointers on what to do? I really like Thunderbird as a mail client.

Thanks guys! I am so thrilled with how well my netbook is working now!

BTW,
    The suspend work around works great for me! (I'm super buzzed about that. I've never had it reliably working since I got this netbook.)

xorg.conf:
    Code:
    Section "DRI"
    	Mode	0666
    EndSection

Section "Device"
    	Identifier	"Configured Video Device"
    	Driver	"psb"
    EndSection
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

My Thunderbird is completely broken also.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by russki_drewski View Post
    Thunderbird doesn't display correctly for me.
    Thunderbird is broken here too, didn't notice this issue before.
    thanks for reporting

I've tried thunderibrd 3.1 from mozilla site and seems to solve this graphical artifacts. (http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-U...ses/downloads/)

There is also a ppa.. try this https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-mozill...y/+archive/ppa and see if it helps.

Don't know which is the real issue.. i'll investigate.

@drzorcz
    added your Vlc howto to livecd post. thanks

Beans

Awesome work guys! (lucazade, yves, jbernardo, everybody else who contributed...). Got Ubuntu up and running again now on the Fujitsu u820, the install iso worked without a hitch. Now it's down to tune everything the way I want it.

best / Anfanglir

Beans

btw, It maybee would be a good time to start a new thread on poulsbo and lucid, starting with the info on the iso and tweaks in lucazades post (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...stcount=1406)?

Anfanglir

Beans

KUDOS TO ALL OF YOU!

Your efforts are much appreciated!

Page 147 of 543 FirstFirst ... 4797137145146147148149157197247 ... LastLast