Page 529 of 543 FirstFirst ... 29429479519527528529530531539 ... LastLast
Results 5,281 to 5,290 of 5425

Thread: Guide to Get the Best Performace from the GMA 500

Beans

Re: Guide to Get the Best Performace from the GMA 500

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi.zazen View Post
    That is the summary page.

Well you are sort of asking about apples and oranges. The only common thing in this thread is the GMA500.

The bottom line, AFIK, boot 12.04 and take the open source driver for a spin. It works for most people.
    Why do you think so?
    I have GMA500. I tried (among other things) to install the PSB driver according to the summary page (that you have confirmed is the summary page). After the installation X windows didn't start. So I scrolled down to Common problems section, where my problem is addressed. However, this instruction is unclear to me: "If not, remove and re-install the psb module as mentioned under Installation CD with psp drivers. "

I don't know where to find the referenced instructions "as mentioned under Installation CD with psp drivers"
    Therefore I can't move on with solving my problem (which is referenced as a common problem).

I need this to work for Ubuntu 10.10, not 12.04. My computer controls a robot the GUI is used only for debugging. I don't need video playback, I just need a desktop GUI that doesn't eat up all the CPU power when a moving a window around.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Careful, that iso is using the the EMGD driver. Most people do not need that driver (some do) and support for that driver is what the 5k posts on this thread are about.

IMO you should only use that driver if it fixes a specific problem or need not better served by the open source driver.

Unity 2d is quite snappy on the GMA500.

This post is spot on. People are sort of done with the EMGD driver, the open source driver is sufficient for most.

Some users may need the EMGD driver , and that is fine, but I would not start with the EMGD driver.
    Hey, hey, hey...

wait bodhi.
    I really don't have any ideas why you'd strongly pushed psb_gfx too much. Most people? Don't you khink they usually are spending time with Web browsing, Videos, Audios, Chats, games, and so?

I think we still need EMGD anyway even if it should be the proprietary driver. Or I wanna ask you "could you make any DRI2 user-space drivers working on psb_gfx?", "could you commit any patches to implement llvmpipe on precise codebases?"

I obviously know many, many people had been working on this thread, jbernardo, yves, maarten, lucazade and much more, to implement our drivers in many sides with various approaches, you know. And I suppose the PSB driver still could be the "evergreen" finest driver for us because those team members gave so much help!! Then I really want EMGD to be the same higher-ground like PSB, so I've been working on EMGD contributing. Could you imagine? I don't know how many people need this, but I gotta do even if I might be wrong... And also in same time, I've been showing the details of psb_gfx from Maverick and Natty by porting core codes from kernel git branch.

So finallly if you could, join our team and help us.

Regards,
    Tista

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by myso View Post
    Why do you think so?
    Why do I think what ? That wiki page is the best, and only summary page I know of.

I have GMA500. I tried (among other things) to install the PSB driver according to the summary page (that you have confirmed is the summary page). After the installation X windows didn't start. So I scrolled down to Common problems section, where my problem is addressed. However, this instruction is unclear to me: "If not, remove and re-install the psb module as mentioned under Installation CD with psp drivers. "

I don't know where to find the referenced instructions "as mentioned under Installation CD with psp drivers"
    Therefore I can't move on with solving my problem (which is referenced as a common problem).

I need this to work for Ubuntu 10.10, not 12.04. My computer controls a robot the GUI is used only for debugging. I don't need video playback, I just need a desktop GUI that doesn't eat up all the CPU power when a moving a window around.
    I do not know anything about the drivers you are asking about nor do I know anyone who supports them.

PSB driver (outdated)

Not supported anymore by its original developers (Tungsten Graphics)
    I personally have never used the closed source drivers (took them for a spin).

Ubuntu 10.10 is beyond end of life and no longer supported

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases

See also http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/...ds-face-gma500

There are many tips on this 5k or so long thread that are not specific to the GMA500. I do not know of any summary of those random tips, you would need to read through this thread.

I would remind you, it is a community maintained wiki, so feel free to help with the documentation
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tista View Post
    Hey, hey, hey...

wait bodhi.
    I really don't have any ideas why you'd strongly pushed psb_gfx too much. Most people? Don't you khink they usually are spending time with Web browsing, Videos, Audios, Chats, games, and so?

I think we still need EMGD anyway even if it should be the proprietary driver. Or I wanna ask you "could you make any DRI2 user-space drivers working on psb_gfx?", "could you commit any patches to implement llvmpipe on precise codebases?"

I obviously know many, many people had been working on this thread, jbernardo, yves, maarten, lucazade and much more, to implement our drivers in many sides with various approaches, you know. And I suppose the PSB driver still could be the "evergreen" finest driver for us because those team members gave so much help!! Then I really want EMGD to be the same higher-ground like PSB, so I've been working on EMGD contributing. Could you imagine? I don't know how many people need this, but I gotta do even if I might be wrong... And also in same time, I've been showing the details of psb_gfx from Maverick and Natty by porting core codes from kernel git branch.

Regards,
    Tista
    Tista you are absolutely right.

I want to turn my FitPC into a low power multimedia box.
    It could at the same time be used as a server (file, ldap, imap etc) but the main function with let's say XBMC requires opengl and vaapi.

For this type of use currently EMGD is the way to go, however cumbersome. But it starts to work. albeit slow for 1080p video and I am sure we will get there.

But it would be nice if Intel would officially support Ubuntu now they dropped Meego and save you and the mentioned gurus above a heap of time.

Until then: thank you, thank you, thank you.

Ferry

Beans
    Distro

Personally I like the psb_gfx driver - it works well in Precise beta for almost all applications that I run (mainly email, browsing, some spreadsheets and wp). However, as a MythTV user, as long as psb_gfx is unaccellerated then I will need to use a dual boot system - at present I run Natty with EMGD 1.8 as my second boot and use this if I wish to run MythTV Frontend to watch TV as I am cooking! Not ideal but it works - I would rather just have all my apps available under the one boot - and for that to be the latest release if possible.

Oh well, I am hoping Mrs. PP will get me a shiny new Aspire S3 for my birthday in a couple of months time, so for me the GMA500 problems may well disappear...although I may well keep the old 751h going just for fun!

May we live in interesting times (ancient Chinese curse!)
    Pilot Paul

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by tista View Post
    From your post, you either have never tried the psb_gfx or are spreading FUD, probably both.

The psb_gfx driver does just fine with "Web browsing, Videos, Audios, Chats". Games are hit and miss with any video driver and I would never promote the GMA500, let alone my netbook, to anyone serious about gaming.

You have to be kidding, right ? I do not know any open source project that accepts closed source patches. You can never do any of what you just listed with the EMGD (closed source) driver. This is pure FUD.

Regards,
    Tista
    your driver ? you wrote the EMGD ?

I think a better question is why all these people spend so much time reverse engineering a closed source driver ? Made sense a few years ago perhaps, but no longer.

IMO we should spend our time working on the open source driver(s).

As far as "joining the team" , I have always been on the team, but working on the open source side. A better question is when are you going to stop spreading FUD, take the psb_gfx driver for a spin, and start contributing to the open source community ?

The psb_gfx driver works for the most part out of the box in Ubuntu 12.04. It is open source. Don't you think most people should at least take it for a test drive before having instructing them to start to add ppa and install closed source drivers that might break with the next upgrade ?

Is the EMGD even available for 12.04 which is due out in a few days? Seems like a poor plan to advocate for a driver that is not available

/me looks https://launchpad.net/~gma500/+archive/emgd110

No EMGD driver for 12.04. Still advocating we use the EMGD for 12.04 ? Please explain how you can be such a strong advocate for a driver / solution that does not exist ?
    Last edited by bodhi.zazen; April 19th, 2012 at 10:42 PM.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.

Beans
    Distro

@bodhi

Ah OK.
    Finally I've understood why you'd missed the point... ahahaha

Both EMGD and PSB has completely open-sourced kernel-space driver, and PSB has almost open-sourced user-space one except for 3D.

So I could understand all you wanna say...

Best Regards,
    Tista

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

My points are:

1. I do not care which driver you use, but ...

2. Please do not distort the opens source, psb_gfx, driver.

You use 3d, and 3d is important to you, and I understand that.

When comparing the drivers, please offer the advantages and disadvantages (each driver has them) and not your personal preferences.

It is getting old listening you bad talk the psb_gfx driver and you do not even have your facts right. Your claims that the psb_gfx driver does not work for "Web browsing, Videos, Audios, Chats" are untrue and inappropriate.

Example:

Advantages of psb_gfx

1. Works out of the box with minimal configuration.

EMGD does not do that.

2. Open source. This means you have support for the driver and can file bug reports with the open source community, all the way to kernel.org.

This is a significant advantage. After filing bug reports, I had my gma500 working on Fedora and Trisquil within 24 hours

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug...iple&id=785053

There are open bug reports on LP as well

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/899244

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ub/+bug/914311

and Kernel.org

You can NOT do that with the closed source EMGD. Your bug reports will be marked as invalid.

2. Works on any distro using a 3.x (I would say 3.1 or higher).

EMGD driver is not available for most distros.

3. You do not require "special packages". With the EMGD you need not just the driver, but patches to many other packages.

This includes xorg. The EMGD, last I looked, requires xorg 1.9 . This means you need to use outdated packages or that the driver will not work at all with say Ubuntu 12.04.

The requires significant changes to the system, patched packages, and lots of effort to maintain.

The EMGD is falling further and further behind the fast pace of open source. used to be a month, then a full Ubuntu release cycle (6 months) , now what will it be for 11.10 ? 12.04 ? 8 months ? 12 ?

Why would I want to use outdated packages for which there is little to no support and no security (or other) patches ?

I do not have any such problems with the psb_gfx.

4. I also reject your claim that the EMGD is "open source". That is like claiming MS. Office is open source as it uses wine as an open source driver.

You can not run EMGD without the closed source driver (the open source kernel drivers are necessary but not sufficient).

5. Last you are talking about drivers that are in rapid development (llvmpipe). That driver is not fully ported to Ubuntu, and it has issues.

If you want to try it, try Fedora 17. If you want to run llvmpipe on Ubuntu, compile it form GIT.

Not to mention that you really would not use llvmpipe with EMGD anyways.

Rather than complaining about llvmpipe, why don't you try it ? And if you have a problem, file a bug report. Even better, submit code.

Honestly I do not know why you brought llvmpipe into the conversation.

llvmpipe on Fedora

llvmpipe has decent performance, although there is a hit. It is rapidly improving, by the week, you would have to try it

6. PS - you do not "need" 3d graphics. XFCE, LXDE, etc run just fine on the netbook with the psb_gfx and most people I know are NOT looking to use the gma500 for 3d stuff.

Gentoo + psb_gfx + openbox uses 60 mb RAM and is quite snappy.

Beans

4. I also reject your claim that the EMGD is "open source". That is like claiming MS. Office is open source as it uses wine as an open source driver.
    The EMGD DRM driver (which is what Tista was referring to) is fully open source. It is released under the MIT-X license, which is the same license used by the general Linux DRM code and most upstream Linux drivers. This license allows you to make any modifications you like and re-use any of the EMGD DRM code in other projects, either open or closed.

I believe you are confusing "open source" with "upstream." The big advantage of psb-gfx is not that it's open source, but rather that it is upstream (i.e., integrated as part of the kernel itself). You don't have to download psb-gfx separately or rebuild/reinstall it each time you upgrade to a new kernel because it comes as part of each new kernel.

EMGD's userspace (X driver, video stack, and 3D stack) are the parts that are closed source, due to PowerVR licensing requirements. In contrast, psb-gfx does not have a dedicated userspace driver or 3d/video stacks. When running with psb-gfx, you wind up using the generic fbdev X driver and either swrast or llvmpipe 3d implementations. As you mentioned, those work fine for a lot (possibly most?) users here. But for people who find that hardware acceleration truly is necessary for their environment, closed source userspace is the only option.

You can not run EMGD without the closed source driver (the open source kernel drivers are necessary but not sufficient).
    Technically you could run just the EMGD DRM driver and use generic fbdev/swrast in userspace if you really wanted to (you'd need to tweak the DRM config file to turn on framebuffer device support and a few other things), but there's really no reason to do so; psb-gfx would be a better choice in that case because it is actually designed for desktop-style usage rather than custom embedded usage. EMGD is really designed exclusively for embedded usage models, so many of EMGD's features (such as complete independence from video firmware) are actually downsides for people just trying to run a standard Linux desktop on a netbook.

<sidenote>
    This thread has become quite long, and the mix of discussion about two different drivers probably leads to some confusion for new users. Would it make sense to split this into two separate threads, one focused on psb-gfx and one focused on EMGD in order to help keep the various tips/tricks/configurations separate? Presumably the first post of each new thread would want to link to the other thread and provide a basic explanation of how the two drivers differ so that users can quickly decide which thread they need to be reading for their needs.
    </sidenote>

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mattrope View Post
    I believe you are confusing "open source" with "upstream."
    Not at all, I am objecting to the "EMGD's userspace (X driver, video stack, and 3D stack) are the parts that are closed source"

<sidenote>
    This thread has become quite long, and the mix of discussion about two different drivers probably leads to some confusion for new users. Would it make sense to split this into two separate threads, one focused on psb-gfx and one focused on EMGD in order to help keep the various tips/tricks/configurations separate? Presumably the first post of each new thread would want to link to the other thread and provide a basic explanation of how the two drivers differ so that users can quickly decide which thread they need to be reading for their needs.
    </sidenote>
    The wiki page sort of serves that purpose.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupp...eoCardsPoulsbo

Wiki is community maintained, so feel free to edit

This thread is sort of a tribute to the long saga of support and has been in existence for so long now ...

If the gma 500 team wants to have separate threads for separate drivers, have them contact the staff with links to the various threads. We would then close this one and, in both the first and last post, include links to the new threads.

Interest in separating all the various conversations, tips, etc in this thread - that is up to the community to transcribe to the wiki.

Page 529 of 543 FirstFirst ... 29429479519527528529530531539 ... LastLast