Page 522 of 543 FirstFirst ... 22422472512520521522523524532 ... LastLast
Results 5,211 to 5,220 of 5425

Thread: Guide to Get the Best Performace from the GMA 500

Beans

Re: Guide to Get the Best Performace from the GMA 500

tista, any evidence of work with videodecoder in the newest driver? May be any info about what Alan Cox is going to do, which formats will be supported?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by thermatk View Post
    tista, any evidence of work with videodecoder in the newest driver? May be any info about what Alan Cox is going to do, which formats will be supported?
    Hi thermatk.

Yeah I know what you want to see..
    But still gam500_gfx didn't have any "user-space" driver to be needed on Video accelerations. And as following what Alan said, it might be very closer to employ it on gam500_gfx and he seems to hunt someone who tackles to this implementation...

On the other hand, Already "Moorestown" and "Medfiled" seems to hunt "PVR" user-space drivers. Yeah those code-name means the newer generations Atom than our "Poulsbo" you know. So I suppose they would get "SGX540" or higher paltform on them. But still we stack with "SGX535" system... It's a really pity. Anyway PVR implementations had started on "3.0-mid" git branch which are leaded by Alan and Intel-mid Team.
    http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kerne....git;a=summary
    And Alan now seems to run this on "CederTrail" (or CederView?). So this fact would help for those who wants "GMA600" or more recent Atom platform. Anyway this development would be committed to 3.4 kernel...
    I hope Kristoffer could do something miracle for our beloved gma500 since he uses VAIO P as usual!!

And Meego/Tizen project also has "PVR" user-space drivers. However you know these drivers are the "Proprietary Drivers" presented by Imagination Technologies. In past, Phoronix had leaked "Open-source Edition" of this PVR, but I've never seen it today at least. Damned...
    All I know what Open-source Edition of PVRs were implemented is "OMAP" platform. As well known, OMAP is completely different from our Atom. Yeah I exactly tried to fork this driver into Atom, But no luck, Because OMAP has an specialized memory mapping technologies embedded into processors, so we could never emulate this stuff, then finally OMAP's fbdev (PVR codes employed) naturally was using that memory map to put textures and pixmaps on accelerated VRAM memory directly... Yup, it's almost "embedded system" I could say.

But now Alan could implement GEM technologies on our kernel-space drivers, so we might be able to access this GEM address via special tuned user-space drivers somehow. If so, generic i915 driver family is the best target which we should fork/backport some kind of stuffs for "Video Accelerations" like xv, vaapi and vdpau...

Cheers,
    Tista
    Last edited by tista; March 31st, 2012 at 02:04 PM. Reason: fixed typo..

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tista View Post
    Hi blugeco,

Oh what a pity...

[...]

[Results]
    Yeah you have some issue on kernel-space driver.
    Although I could suggest some tricks to you, but needs "brave heart" you know.
    Or the better thing for you and your machine is "stay with stock packages"..

I'll keep tracking this issue down for you for a while as well...

Cheers,
    Tista
    Hi Tista,

thanks for spending your time on this.

I just wanted to add two pieces of information.

- I installed 11.10 again and, without updating the kernel, installed EMGD 1.8. The behaviour was the same as with the kernel 3.0.0 on the previous installation, it doesn't go further than the splash screen: the progress bar freezes and nothing happens.

- Then I also tried with EMGD 1.10 (on a new 11.10 installation, I installed the EMGD 1.10) and I could boot and log in and, actually, use the desktop, the strange thing was that the resolution was not correct. I mean .. the resolution was set to be 1024x720 60Hz, which would be the correct value, but the lower part of the desktop was actually out of the screen ...

I've seen the same behaviour trying Pixielive 3 alpha (which I believe is using the EMGD 1.10).

I think I am going to go back to Lucid + PSB drivers then
    unless you have a better idea ...

Have a good weekend,

blugeco

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tista View Post
    Hi thermatk.
    In past, Phoronix had leaked "Open-source Edition" of this PVR, but I've never seen it today at least. Damned...
    The git repo for the open source userspace video decode support is located here. There's no opensource 3D support though.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by blugeco View Post
    Hi Tista,

thanks for spending your time on this.

I just wanted to add two pieces of information.

- I installed 11.10 again and, without updating the kernel, installed EMGD 1.8. The behaviour was the same as with the kernel 3.0.0 on the previous installation, it doesn't go further than the splash screen: the progress bar freezes and nothing happens.

- Then I also tried with EMGD 1.10 (on a new 11.10 installation, I installed the EMGD 1.10) and I could boot and log in and, actually, use the desktop, the strange thing was that the resolution was not correct. I mean .. the resolution was set to be 1024x720 60Hz, which would be the correct value, but the lower part of the desktop was actually out of the screen ...

I've seen the same behaviour trying Pixielive 3 alpha (which I believe is using the EMGD 1.10).

I think I am going to go back to Lucid + PSB drivers then
    unless you have a better idea ...

Have a good weekend,

blugeco
    Wait blugeco!!

Good things, Good...
    Yeah I could see what's happened on you, So "You are only one mile from paradise"....

At first, I supposed you would failed to load "patched" emgd-dkms so that you might fail to rearch for desktop sessions...

But it was wrong.

Basically, EMGD 1.8 series on our PPA, didn't implement so much types of hardware support. In opposite, GMA500 Team had done "tons of" tricks on EMGD 1.10 to be enabled much more hardware...
    So 1.10 would succeed to recognize your machine properly, then it booted smoothly bound for desktop session, OK?

And need a bit more love for it.

I've found this automatic configuration in /bin/emgd-xorg-conf:
    Code:
    nokia_3gnyu00 = ["Nokia Nokia Booklet 3G/NYU00", [
                                                      ["1280x720", "24"]
                                                      ]]   + default[2:]
    I'm afraid that if your machine would have a different "MachineID", we usually call it "DMI". So if you have much time to check it out, Please let me see your output of this command:
    Code:
    dmesg | grep DMI
    At least we only have above one as Nokia's DMI now...

If I could get your DMI as new one, ASAP I would update our package for 1.10. Yeah I promise.

Cheers,
    Tista

Beans

Hey Tista,

that sounds like very good news

I can execute the command you gave me tomorrow but, in the meantime, I checked the dmesg.log I sent you on Friday and found

Code:
    [    0.000000] DMI present.
    [    0.000000] DMI: Nokia Nokia Booklet 3G/NYU00, BIOS 2.00.T01 03/05/2010
    I think I am one of the few who updated the bios on this netbook

That's the info you were looking for, right?

Thanks,

blugeco

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by blugeco View Post
    Hey Tista,

that sounds like very good news

I can execute the command you gave me tomorrow but, in the meantime, I checked the dmesg.log I sent you on Friday and found

Code:
    [    0.000000] DMI present.
    [    0.000000] DMI: Nokia Nokia Booklet 3G/NYU00, BIOS 2.00.T01 03/05/2010
    I think I am one of the few who updated the bios on this netbook

That's the info you were looking for, right?

Thanks,

blugeco
    Hi blugeco,

OMG... your DMI seems exactly same as ours...
    So I don't know why you had failed to correct resolution on startup...

Cheers,
    Tista

Beans

Hi Tista

thanks anyway ...

one last question and then I'll stop bothering you

I was looking on the HardwareSupportComponentsVideoCardsPoulsbo and have seen that on Maverick the EMGD drivers are supposed to be working very well ... what's your view on this?

I installed Maverick before with PSB drivers and I finally settled for Lucid as it felt a bit smoother ..

If you think Maverick is worth a shot, do you have any idea of where the 'emgd-maverick.sh' script is?

On the GMA Team page, I read it should be downloaded from Dropbox

Installation script for Lucid and Maverick:
    wget dl.dropbox.com/u/1338581/gma500/emgd-lucid.sh && sh ./emgd-lucid.sh
    wget dl.dropbox.com/u/1338581/gma500/emgd-maverick.sh && sh ./emgd-maverick.sh
    but it is not available from that location anymore.

Thanks a lot,

blugeco

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Looks like those dropbox links were added before the packages for Maverick. At the moment, all the needed packages are there, so you could try the same instructions as for Natty.

Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gma500/emgd
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install xorg-emgd emgd-dkms
    sudo emgd-xorg-conf
    Be aware though, Maverick only has a few weeks of support left till the end of April.

Beans

Hey niop, any news about that iso of yours yet? It is very much anticipated!

Page 522 of 543 FirstFirst ... 22422472512520521522523524532 ... LastLast