Page 351 of 543 FirstFirst ... 251301341349350351352353361401451 ... LastLast
Results 3,501 to 3,510 of 5425

Thread: Guide to Get the Best Performace from the GMA 500

  1. #3501
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Rome, Italy
    Beans
    2,184

    Re: Guide to Get the Best Performace from the GMA 500

    Quote Originally Posted by megamax View Post
    from emgd-dkms-1.5.15.3082/include/emgd_drm.h

    Code:
    enum {
    	CHIP_PSB_8108 = 0,
    	CHIP_PSB_8109 = 1,
    	CHIP_TC_4108 = 2
    };
    are they the "id" of the chips?

    And what about psb-gfx, is only for natty? what difference has with psb?
    I think for now I must use psb..
    Yes, these are supported pci id, or better should be supported!

    About psb-gfx at the moment offers only a kms framebuffer (native resolution in virtual terminals), an improved drm but no x drivers.
    It requires anyway 2.6.39 or .38 with our ppa (but doesn't work very good because of backported drm functions from .39).. we will see something when first .39 will be available.

  2. #3502
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Rome, Italy
    Beans
    2,184

    Re: Guide to Get the Best Performace from the GMA 500

    Hi all

    I've finalized PSB drivers support for Natty (xorg 1.10)
    PPA unfortunately is separate from main gma500 because of two major issues:
    * doesn't work with natty stock kernel 2.6.38 (because of ioctl new function)
    * doesn't work with natty stock drm (because today update modified multiarch paths)

    these issues could be solved by installing kernel 2.6.35 from maverick and an old drm of natty:

    Code:
    mkdir psb110
    cd psb110
    wget http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1338581/psb110/libdrm2_2.4.23-1ubuntu3_i386.deb
    wget http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1338581/psb110/libdrm-intel1_2.4.23-1ubuntu3_i386.deb
    wget http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1338581/psb110/libdrm-nouveau1a_2.4.23-1ubuntu3_i386.deb
    wget http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1338581/psb110/libdrm-radeon1_2.4.23-1ubuntu3_i386.deb
    wget http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1338581/psb110/linux-headers-2.6.35-28_2.6.35-28.49_all.deb
    wget http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1338581/psb110/linux-headers-2.6.35-28-generic_2.6.35-28.49_i386.deb
    wget http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1338581/psb110/linux-image-2.6.35-28-generic_2.6.35-28.49_i386.deb
    sudo dpkg -i *.deb
    and pin these packages manually in synaptic.

    Besides these issues drivers works like in maverick (2d, 3d, xv, libva, mplayer-vaapi)
    I hope nothing else will change for natty release

  3. #3503
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Niigata, JAPAN
    Beans
    862
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Guide to Get the Best Performace from the GMA 500

    Quote Originally Posted by lucazade View Post
    Hi all

    I've finalized PSB drivers support for Natty (xorg 1.10)
    PPA unfortunately is separate from main gma500 because of two major issues:
    * doesn't work with natty stock kernel 2.6.38 (because of ioctl new function)
    * doesn't work with natty stock drm (because today update modified multiarch paths)

    these issues could be solved by installing kernel 2.6.35 from maverick and an old drm of natty:

    Code:
    mkdir psb110
    cd psb110
    wget http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1338581/psb110/libdrm2_2.4.23-1ubuntu3_i386.deb
    wget http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1338581/psb110/libdrm-intel1_2.4.23-1ubuntu3_i386.deb
    wget http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1338581/psb110/libdrm-nouveau1a_2.4.23-1ubuntu3_i386.deb
    wget http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1338581/psb110/libdrm-radeon1_2.4.23-1ubuntu3_i386.deb
    wget http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1338581/psb110/linux-headers-2.6.35-28_2.6.35-28.49_all.deb
    wget http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1338581/psb110/linux-headers-2.6.35-28-generic_2.6.35-28.49_i386.deb
    wget http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1338581/psb110/linux-image-2.6.35-28-generic_2.6.35-28.49_i386.deb
    sudo dpkg -i *.deb
    and pin these packages manually in synaptic.

    Besides these issues drivers works like in maverick (2d, 3d, xv, libva, mplayer-vaapi)
    I hope nothing else will change for natty release
    Nice Luca !!

    Thanks for your workarounds for psb.
    Now I'm starting to backport some codes from gfx into psb.
    I really wanna let psb work on .38 kernel ! Because .38 has a lot of pretty features, good performances, and also stabilities. I hope they could keep goin' on such improvements towards .39.

    But don't forget an important thing that we should fix 3D on psb... If we could solve this dkms issues on .38 (and/or .39), still would have some lack in 3D routines with latest Compiz. I don't have any ideas how long in futures Intel would continue to develop emgd... In fact, today emgd had succeeded to run latest Compiz, however nobody knows what happens in the future... If we could get fully sources of emgd, I think we could keep it alive by ourselves. and hopefully both 2D/3D performances might be increased dramatically... we already got drm/fb codes of emgd, so we could set our point of view into performance tuning in emgd, I hope.

    Cheers.

  4. #3504
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Rome, Italy
    Beans
    2,184

    Re: Guide to Get the Best Performace from the GMA 500

    Quote Originally Posted by tista View Post
    Nice Luca !!

    Thanks for your workarounds for psb.
    Now I'm starting to backport some codes from gfx into psb.
    I really wanna let psb work on .38 kernel ! Because .38 has a lot of pretty features, good performances, and also stabilities. I hope they could keep goin' on such improvements towards .39.

    But don't forget an important thing that we should fix 3D on psb... If we could solve this dkms issues on .38 (and/or .39), still would have some lack in 3D routines with latest Compiz. I don't have any ideas how long in futures Intel would continue to develop emgd... In fact, today emgd had succeeded to run latest Compiz, however nobody knows what happens in the future... If we could get fully sources of emgd, I think we could keep it alive by ourselves. and hopefully both 2D/3D performances might be increased dramatically... we already got drm/fb codes of emgd, so we could set our point of view into performance tuning in emgd, I hope.

    Cheers.
    Hope you get success to mix drivers.. .38 would be nice to have, maybe more important this time than in previous kernel releases.
    About 3D you are right, xpsb_glx is old and closed and doesn't work with compiz++.. anyone said reverse engineering! (which iirc it is not allowed by xpsb's license).
    We will get emgd sources when duke nukem forever will come out!
    ps. never!

  5. #3505
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Boston, MA, USA
    Beans
    925
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Guide to Get the Best Performace from the GMA 500

    Quote Originally Posted by lucazade View Post
    Hi all

    I've finalized PSB drivers support for Natty (xorg 1.10)
    PPA unfortunately is separate from main gma500 because of two major issues:
    * doesn't work with natty stock kernel 2.6.38 (because of ioctl new function)
    * doesn't work with natty stock drm (because today update modified multiarch paths)

    these issues could be solved by installing kernel 2.6.35 from maverick and an old drm of natty:
    I am getting quite discouraged, it seems that we are losing not winning the battle to get gma500 running. I may roll back to lucid and not change anything with my gma500 setup

  6. #3506
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Beans
    120
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

    Re: Guide to Get the Best Performace from the GMA 500

    Quote Originally Posted by jbernardo View Post
    My apologies to all, it seems that after kwin detects a broken driver it just won't ever test again the driver capabilities. I had to edit kwinrc to get it to test again, and it works now both with or without EXANoComposite. Now I can even enable openGL rendering (instead of XRender), but it is too slow, even if it enables a lot of the effects that don't work using XRender. It also slows down everything openGl a lot (in particular glblur goes down to 6-7 fps instead of 15.5).
    Could you please explain how you re-enabled kwin compositing?
    I tried modifying

    [Compositing]
    Enabled=false
    OpenGLIsUnsafe=true


    in ~/.kde/share/config/kwinrc, but i'm not sure if that's what you meant above,
    as the result was still a kwin error at login and all controls grayed-out under Desktop Effects kcm. Thanks in advance!

  7. #3507
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Parma, Italy
    Beans
    679
    Distro
    Kubuntu

    Re: Guide to Get the Best Performace from the GMA 500

    Hi, I've been away (no ADSL at home, punishment from telecom for trying to move to another ISP), but I still read this thread from time to time.

    I don't remember exactly what I did, but you could try moving kwinrc to another location, start kde, and see if you can enable compositing. After that, check the new kwinrc, and if you need any settings from the old start incorporating them.

    Anyway, what I have now, with the PSB driver, is:
    Code:
    [Compositing]
    AnimationSpeed=0
    Backend=XRender
    DisabledChecks=True
    Enabled=True
    GLMode=Fallback
    GLTextureFilter=1
    GLVSync=True
    HiddenPreviews=5
    OpenGLIsUnsafe=False
    UnredirectFullScreen=true
    XRenderSmoothScale=false

  8. #3508
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Beans
    67

    Re: Guide to Get the Best Performace from the GMA 500

    Quote Originally Posted by tista View Post
    Yeah I could understand your issues. but I need logs. so could you post your make.log ?

    Cheers.
    Here is the make.log (renamed to make.txt).
    Attached Files Attached Files

  9. #3509
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Niigata, JAPAN
    Beans
    862
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Guide to Get the Best Performace from the GMA 500

    Quote Originally Posted by maddis View Post
    Here is the make.log (renamed to make.txt).
    Thanks for your log.

    then a patch for 2 files would be needed:
    here.

    Cheers.

  10. #3510
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Beans
    120
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

    Re: Guide to Get the Best Performace from the GMA 500

    Quote Originally Posted by jbernardo View Post
    Hi, I've been away (no ADSL at home, punishment from telecom for trying to move to another ISP), but I still read this thread from time to time.
    Thanks for the instant reply, hope you get back online soon..

    I'll try what you suggest, hope it gets resolved.
    I would stay on psb, but currently I can only play one youtube video, after which a video window appears grey and audio-only. Could it be related to the Xv fix added to the psb driver? Is anyone else experiencing this? I've tried Rekonq, FF but no luck..

Page 351 of 543 FirstFirst ... 251301341349350351352353361401451 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •