Page 272 of 543 FirstFirst ... 172222262270271272273274282322372 ... LastLast
Results 2,711 to 2,720 of 5425

Thread: Guide to Get the Best Performace from the GMA 500

Beans

Re: Guide to Get the Best Performace from the GMA 500

Quote Originally Posted by chone View Post
    Some more questions. Will having VAAPI improve anything besides playback in mplayer? Will streaming flash videos improve in quality? If not, is there a way to make them?
    There's a gstreamer-vaapi you can get - I have it packaged for Fedora, don't know if it's packaged for Ubuntu - which should make all gstreamer-using apps use VA-API. Upstream is http://www.splitted-desktop.com/~gbe...treamer-vaapi/ . Note that I've never been able to get it to actually work yet, it just tends to cause black screens for me, but you can try.

vlc can build with vaapi support if you have libva-dev installed, I believe.

Flash video, practically speaking, is a no-go. Adobe's Linux Flash doesn't have VA-API support yet (there's rumblings that it may in future). Gwenole did a patch for Gnash which adds VA-API support, which I believe is now upstream, so if you build a recent Gnash against libva you should get VA-API support...but practically speaking, most Flash sites are broken in some way or another with Gnash, I find it unusable for real practical use.
    Adam Williamson | http://www.happyassassin.net
    Fedora QA Community Monkey

Beans

Thanks for the feedback on EMGD, everyone. Looks like it'd be pretty useless for Fedora as F14 is X.org 1.9 I find the performance of psb okay, especially using Compiz instead of metacity, and I just use mplayer-vaapi for video playback so that's no problem.

The other driver that someone could take a look at if they felt like it is the Meego one:

http://repo.meego.com/MeeGo/builds/t.../repos/source/

psb-video and pvr-bin, in that folder. It looks like another pile of proprietary crap. I've no idea what X and kernel it requires. The headers claim this one is basically given to Intel by PowerVR.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by AdamWill View Post
    Thanks for the feedback on EMGD, everyone. Looks like it'd be pretty useless for Fedora as F14 is X.org 1.9 I find the performance of psb okay, especially using Compiz instead of metacity, and I just use mplayer-vaapi for video playback so that's no problem.

The other driver that someone could take a look at if they felt like it is the Meego one:

http://repo.meego.com/MeeGo/builds/t.../repos/source/

psb-video and pvr-bin, in that folder. It looks like another pile of proprietary crap. I've no idea what X and kernel it requires. The headers claim this one is basically given to Intel by PowerVR.
    interesting!

it looks like pvr drivers works with xorg 1.9, kernel 2.6.35 and are targeted for Meego 1.1 (Wayland?)
    pvr-bin.i586 5.3.0.0016-2.1
    xorg-x11-server.i586 1.9.0-1.32
    mesa-libGL.i586 7.8.99.1~gitb018ea19a3-2.3
    http://bugs.meego.com/show_bug.cgi?id=6477

Xorg.0.log with pvr drivers:
    http://bugs.meego.com/attachment.cgi?id=2201

any hints how to try?
    Last edited by lucazade; January 7th, 2011 at 12:54 PM.

Beans

I have no more information than you do - I just happened to find that driver there. But it looks from the spec files like there's no build, it's all pre-built binaries, and all the spec files do is unpack them to the appropriate places. So I guess the way to try it would be to grab the packages, unpack the same binaries to the same places (or the appropriate equivalents, if any are different for Ubuntu) and try to load the driver (I think the X driver name is pvr_drv).

it occurs to me that one big thing missing is the kernel module, not sure where that is. I'll see if I can find one. It may be that Meego doesn't have a kmod system and the module's just baked into the Meego kernel, in which case you'd have to wiggle it out of there.

Beans

libwsbm is listed as a dependency in the spec file, so it must be separately packaged. Have to get it out of the Meego tree (it'll be in there somewhere) and build it. same goes for anything else listed as a Requires:, I'd guess.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by chone View Post
    Well, I installed here:

/lib/modules/2.6.35-24-generic/kernel/drivers/misc

(other option was /lib/modules/2.6.35-22-generic/kernel/drivers/misc, i'm not sure the difference and not sure why they're both even there...)

I ran the commands you suggested and did get something in that backlight folder. Looking through the stuff it put in the backlight folder, it seemed like there was some weird linking going on but I couldn't really tell what was up.

And when I ran the modprobe command, the screen brightness increased, but the keys still don't work (nor does the brightness panel applet). Any idea what the issue is?

Thanks for the help though! I have a few more questions:

For the VAAPI stuff, will this version of libva work with the EMGD drivers, or do I need to go through the tedious process to extract all those .exes? I don't have a PC so I'd have to use my brother's laptop and I'm totally lazy. This is linked from Intel's site, but I doubt it's the right version.

http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/vaapi

Now, I'm no pro at any of this so I have some clarifying questions for installing the VAAPI stuff too.

So, I currently don't have a va/ folder within my lib folder. Do I have to create it myself, as well as the link? Second, how do I tell what files correspond to "other libva instances?" Are they just any files with the name libva*?

Finally, you say I can use it with -vo vaapirender -va vaapi. Can you clarify? That smiley is throwing me off. Also, can I set mplayer to run with some command that will set those flags for me?

Thanks a ton.

edit:
    I have no idea why this is, but I installed Maverick and "About Ubuntu" claims I'm running Natty. Weird.

edit again:
    Some more questions. Will having VAAPI improve anything besides playback in mplayer? Will streaming flash videos improve in quality? If not, is there a way to make them?
    If echo 50 > /sys/class/backlight/psblvds/brightness gets your backlight down, the it worked. Maybe you have to update gnome-power-manager to get the brightness hotkeys working properly.

For mplayer-vaapi you'll need
    Code:
    mplayer -vo vaapi:xrender -va vaapi
    in order to get vaapi playback. The xrender part is optional, without it, it will not work together with compiz or other compositing wms. Sorry at the first post i didn't know that the smiley corrupted my message...
    You could paste vo=vaapi and va=vaapi in your ~/.mplayer/config file, then mplayer will default to that.

For the libva: the other instances will be in /usr/lib/libva*
    I think you have to create /usr/lib/va/drivers then in order to link /usr/lib/va/drivers/emgd_drv_video.so -> /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/emgd_drv_video.so
    I have attached the libva libs that intel included in the binary...

And finally: As long as adobe won't support vaapi, you have no chance to get accelerated flash playback. (On windows they do, I think. Also they recently supported nvidias acceleration on linux, but no vaapi until now)
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

@Luca

Hi.
    I've checked these Intel's binaries for MeeGo on Natty.
    • emgd_dri.so
    • emgd_drv_video.so
    • libva.so.1.0.1
    • libva-x11.so.1.0.1

Results ware not good... I've already known about it.
    Reasons:
    • Both MPlayer and libva1 we used to employed ware compatible to 0.31.1.1-SDS version. but libva binaries above, it might be suitable for ONLY emgd except for psb (older than 0.31.0 ?). also these binaries would have given us errors on mplayer.
    • as if using Intel's libva emgd-driver (emgd_drv_video.so), it doesn't make any possibilities. I don't know how environments these had been built, maybe by old libraries we couldn't accept for.
    • as if using MPlayer in splitted-desktop's latest, exactly same results (lack of compatibility to 0.31.1.1).

Basically I don't know current Fedora, Gentoo, Ark and some other distributions are using udev/KMS system and they need or don't need downgrade for EMGD. One thing I've got on Natty is still ugly situation on Ubuntu...

Cheers.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by AdamWill View Post
    I have no more information than you do - I just happened to find that driver there. But it looks from the spec files like there's no build, it's all pre-built binaries, and all the spec files do is unpack them to the appropriate places. So I guess the way to try it would be to grab the packages, unpack the same binaries to the same places (or the appropriate equivalents, if any are different for Ubuntu) and try to load the driver (I think the X driver name is pvr_drv).

it occurs to me that one big thing missing is the kernel module, not sure where that is. I'll see if I can find one. It may be that Meego doesn't have a kmod system and the module's just baked into the Meego kernel, in which case you'd have to wiggle it out of there.
    I just installed the pvr driver and was able to compile the missing pvrsrvkm kernel module from the meego-patches. the kernel module loads, however Im not sure if its the right one.
    Unfortunately Xorg still gives me "(EE) Couldn't get PVR Services status
    [ 512.705] (EE) No devices detected."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Hi, all.

I've got a reply from Kristian Høgsberg in Wayland development-team.
    thread's http://lists.freedesktop.org/archive...ry/000402.html
    The conclusion of him had been exactly same what we alerady had...
    If we could drive EMGD with OpenGL ES v1.1 as backend of EGL, Wayland couldn't touch emgd/DRM through udev/KMS kernel layer.and for making the pipeline EGL to Wayland core, they would strongly need driver's sources about various 3D renderings.

I hope Intel had already known this situation... or soemone might ask it to Intel !

Regards.

Beans

@tista and nachtfalter

mmm... What a pity!

We are trying to pin the tail on the donkey.. Intel please give us at least some explanation,
    I'm not asking for working drivers

Page 272 of 543 FirstFirst ... 172222262270271272273274282322372 ... LastLast