Page 268 of 543 FirstFirst ... 168218258266267268269270278318368 ... LastLast
Results 2,671 to 2,680 of 5425

Thread: Guide to Get the Best Performace from the GMA 500

Beans

Re: Guide to Get the Best Performace from the GMA 500

Tista

Have you tried/seen also this Ubuntu iso for the O2 Joggler?
    http://joggler.exotica.org.uk/ubuntu/

"Backlight working (control available from gnome-power-manager / brightness applet or through sysfs)."

Haven't found info about libva solution.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Thanks luca !

Looking at their libva source package:
    +libva (1.0.1-3ppa1) lucid; urgency=low
    +
    + * Non-maintainer upload.
    + * For Lucid, to be used with the Intel EMGD drivers.
    package by our JBernardo !
    Oh really ? their repos also have libva-x11. maybe it had been packed by JBernardo, too...

If I well remember this is SDS version .. we could try also stock natty libva.
    I hope to have the time to check it here.
    thanks !!

Tista

Have you tried/seen also this Ubuntu iso for the O2 Joggler?
    http://joggler.exotica.org.uk/ubuntu/

"Backlight working (control available from gnome-power-manager / brightness applet or through sysfs)."

Haven't found info about libva solution.
    No, I haven't yet... but I should see it.
    Today emgd would have lack of brightness hotkeys feature on various PCs. under udev, although ACPI had been associated to emgd successfully, but in fact, it doesn't work...
    In case of "VAIO" PCs, there would been a bit tricky compared with the others, I think. Because Sony had hidden many useful settings from BIOS's surface to "in depth". So we couldn't change state of ACPI... ugly mad.

I hope Intel could treat these features in emgd if possible:
    # to enable possibility running under udev, KMS and drm.
    # to enable Open-Sourced 3D for compatibility with Wayland's EGL.
    # to enable capabilities on 2D/UXA rendering performance.
    # to enable fully VA-API support.

Cheers !
    Last edited by tista; January 3rd, 2011 at 03:02 PM.

Beans

Hi there, as I watched this forum for quite some time and got some good tips from it I thought I should finally contribute something.
    I have the Nokia Booklet 3G which unfortunately has the infamous GMA500.
    I managed to compile the EMGD 1.5 driver with the 2.6.36 kernel and Xorg 1.8 and so far everything works. Xv, compiz and vaapi with mplayer-vaapi (even in compiz).

Concerning the backlight:
    Quote Originally Posted by tista View Post
    No, I haven't yet... but I should see it.
    Today emgd would have lack of brightness hotkeys feature on various PCs. under udev, although ACPI had been associated to emgd successfully, but in fact, it doesn't work...
    In case of "VAIO" PCs, there would been a bit tricky compared with the others, I think. Because Sony had hidden many useful settings from BIOS's surface to "in depth". So we couldn't change state of ACPI... ugly mad.
    Recently I took the old psb driver and cut out the backlight-control code and it works together with EMGD.
    It's very ugly and hackish and you have to load the module after X started but it works...

The only remaining problems are the well known "HWRecoveryResetSGX: SGX Hardware Recovery triggered"-bug wich freezes X sometimes under heavy load and occasional hangs during suspend/resume.
    I hope Intel will improve something with an updated EMGD driver that should hopefully be released soon...

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by nachtfalter View Post
    Hi there, as I watched this forum for quite some time and got some good tips from it I thought I should finally contribute something.
    I have the Nokia Booklet 3G which unfortunately has the infamous GMA500.
    I managed to compile the EMGD 1.5 driver with the 2.6.36 kernel and Xorg 1.8 and so far everything works. Xv, compiz and vaapi with mplayer-vaapi (even in compiz).

Concerning the backlight:

Recently I took the old psb driver and cut out the backlight-control code and it works together with EMGD.
    It's very ugly and hackish and you have to load the module after X started but it works...

The only remaining problems are the well known "HWRecoveryResetSGX: SGX Hardware Recovery triggered"-bug wich freezes X sometimes under heavy load and occasional hangs during suspend/resume.
    I hope Intel will improve something with an updated EMGD driver that should hopefully be released soon...
    Hi, nachtfalter.

Really !? maybe you're the first one who could play with VA-API on Ubuntu as I know !!

Please let us know how you have done it, would you ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Exclamation Re: Guide to Get the Best Performace from the GMA 500

Hi guys!
    just installed 10.10 netbook on my AAO 751h with the gma 500. and applied the above changes. the graphics look great, but I'm left with a few issues:

• video playback doesn't work at all (audio plays fine-with a blank screen)
    • microphone doesn't work at all either

(both of the above worked fine before the changes)
    • brightness keys work (although flipped) but brightness applet ignores my clicking.(slider collapses back to menu when i click it)
    • battery indicator merely shows charged all the time.

any ideas?

Otherwise, things are great, and actually seem better than the system was back on jolicloud, although I'm going to dual-boot them for a while to keep safe.

Jherskow.

(edit)h, yeah- unity won't work, in case that wasn't clear
    Last edited by jherskow; January 4th, 2011 at 05:11 PM. Reason: added last bit

Beans
    Distro

Hi, all.

Have you already read about http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/vaapi ?

This could be very important thing that "How could we treat VA-API under udev/KMS ?".

The point is "DRM". today, after Lucid, our Ubuntu had employed udev except for HAL in hardware-detection/control layer. so emgd-dkms had some lack of links emgd kernel-module to DRM like this in Xorg.0.log:
    Code:
    (II) [drm] DRM interface version 1.0
    (EE) [drm] Could not set DRM device bus ID.
    This result would cause "A Missing Link" the way from DRI in Xorg to DRM in kernel layer. especially KMS (Kernel Mode Settings), that's critical. yes well known, "Wayland" also strongly needs KMS capable driver.

Back to talking about VA-API, also would use Hardware-Accelerations via libva drivers had built for famous Intel-chips or a "dummy driver". showed in above URL, the attachment from libva drivers to DRM seems "Direct" without DRI's pipeline. so it means we have to strongly recommend native KMS driver for emgd. that's not only reason for Wayland but also VA-API with Xorg.

Finally by all means, Intel MUST solve this problems till Q1 2011 new release !! I think DRM problems should be solved as soon as possible.
    Last edited by tista; January 5th, 2011 at 06:35 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jherskow View Post
    Hi guys!
    just installed 10.10 netbook on my AAO 751h with the gma 500. and applied the above changes. the graphics look great, but I'm left with a few issues:

• video playback doesn't work at all (audio plays fine-with a blank screen)
    • microphone doesn't work at all either

(both of the above worked fine before the changes)
    • brightness keys work (although flipped) but brightness applet ignores my clicking.(slider collapses back to menu when i click it)
    • battery indicator merely shows charged all the time.

any ideas?

Otherwise, things are great, and actually seem better than the system was back on jolicloud, although I'm going to dual-boot them for a while to keep safe.

Jherskow.

(edit)h, yeah- unity won't work, in case that wasn't clear
    Hi, jherskow.

Have you already updated to "newest" Maverick ?
    I remember the default installed ACPI had some bugs. so you have to update all packages via update-manager. newest packages may solve your issues, but I don't know, maybe or not...

Cheers !

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Exclamation Re: Guide to Get the Best Performace from the GMA 500

Quote Originally Posted by tista View Post
    Hi, jherskow.

Have you already updated to "newest" Maverick ?
    I remember the default installed ACPI had some bugs. so you have to update all packages via update-manager. newest packages may solve your issues, but I don't know, maybe or not...

Cheers !
    just did:

• all videos still play aduio only wiht black screen
    • brightness aplet still buggy
    • battery indicator fixed
    • microphone works -but only in sound recorder, not in skype
    • webcam can capture pics and record videos (which i cant play back)- but no live preview, which means no video chatting

I'd be very gratefull for any help at all with these issues.

jherskow.

Beans

hey folks, just dipping in again...lucazade / jbernardo, i see you guys seem to be all playing with EMGD now, what's the benefit over psb? I haven't really looked at the EMGD driver yet for Fedora, no time...thanks!
    Adam Williamson | http://www.happyassassin.net
    Fedora QA Community Monkey

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jherskow View Post
    just did:

• all videos still play aduio only wiht black screen
    • brightness aplet still buggy
    • battery indicator fixed
    • microphone works -but only in sound recorder, not in skype
    • webcam can capture pics and record videos (which i cant play back)- but no live preview, which means no video chatting

I'd be very gratefull for any help at all with these issues.

jherskow.

Hi,jherskow.

It seems most of your issues would have already seen in past. So you'd better to watching previous posts about 751h !

Hints:
    • video playback via vaapi needs mplayer-vaapi and liibva.
    • if using psb, brightness control depends on psb-kernel-source and/or ACPI.
    • psb driver has lack of playback via xv. so skype with webcam would have broken in visual. or use emgd driver.

Cheers.

Page 268 of 543 FirstFirst ... 168218258266267268269270278318368 ... LastLast