Thread: Guide to Get the Best Performace from the GMA 500

Beans

Re: Guide to Get the Best Performace from the GMA 500

Quote Originally Posted by Udibuntu View Post
    Guys,
    Just tried the gma500 driver at
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupp...c%20%289.10%29
    and broke native resolution.
    tried to revert to psb driver, didnt work.
    Is there a way to use this method on Karmic AND have native resolution?
    OR - can I restore psb?
    You get native resolution only when psb driver is installed, not in vesa mode..

I've posted here how to get it working on Karmic and Lucid.. use the script for karmic

Code:
    sudo wget http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1338581/Gma500/scripts/poulsbo.sh && bash ./poulsbo.sh
    And remember that it is better to install these drivers on a new Ubuntu installation.
    The ubuntu wiki page need to be updated with this script instead of the PPA

Beans

I found a bug in Xorg 1.7.6 EXA code that prevents our driver to work. After this little fix I have opengl working on Lucid without ShadowFB. Now we need to get this into Lucid or maybe we post our own packages for poulsbo for the time being ?

Yves De Muyter

Beans

Smile Re: Guide to Get the Best Performace from the GMA 500

Quote Originally Posted by yvesdm3000 View Post
    I found a bug in Xorg 1.7.6 EXA code that prevents our driver to work. After this little fix I have opengl working on Lucid without ShadowFB. Now we need to get this into Lucid or maybe we post our own packages for poulsbo for the time being ?
    I think that would the best thing to do. Since most people are craving for a better poulsbo driver that can be used as for now.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lucazade View Post
    You get native resolution only when psb driver is installed, not in vesa mode..

I've posted here how to get it working on Karmic and Lucid.. use the script for karmic

Code:
    sudo wget http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1338581/Gma500/scripts/poulsbo.sh && bash ./poulsbo.sh
    And remember that it is better to install these drivers on a new Ubuntu installation.
    The ubuntu wiki page need to be updated with this script instead of the PPA
    Thanks Luca, but I get something saying psb is broken or not installed properly. How do i remove it completely (so I can reinstall)?

UPDATE: Purged and removed, then installed, works OK. Thanks!
    Last edited by Udibuntu; June 7th, 2010 at 10:14 PM. Reason: update

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by yvesdm3000 View Post

Yves De Muyter
    I'm so happy, great!
    I'm going to ask in ubuntu-x channel if the patch could be applied in a backport package.
    Otherwise we'll put a patched xorg in the gma500 ppa.

Beans

I'm so happy, great!
    I'm going to ask in ubuntu-x channel if the patch could be applied in a backport package.
    Hi guys, I am a newbie and I am lost, tried loading the updated GMA500 driver with the command listed above, looks like all loads ok, but still unable to detect video card. I am running a new fresh install of lucid and have a dell mini 12 Thanks in advance for any help!!!

PS I was going to throw this computer through a window when running XP b/c it was so slow, I LOVE ubuntu but would sure love to fix the graphics problem

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Udibuntu View Post
    Thanks Luca, but I get something saying psb is broken or not installed properly. How do i remove it completely (so I can reinstall)?

UPDATE: Purged and removed, then installed, works OK. Thanks!
    I had the same "psb is broken" or something close, as I said I am a newbie, how would I purge and remove? and I assume just do a clean install using "sudo wget http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1338581/Gma5...pts/poulsbo.sh && bash ./poulsbo.sh" ???

Thanks again for the help!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by planeoldjim View Post
    I had the same "psb is broken" or something close, as I said I am a newbie, how would I purge and remove? and I assume just do a clean install using "sudo wget http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1338581/Gma5...pts/poulsbo.sh && bash ./poulsbo.sh" ???

Thanks again for the help!
    Use the following command:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get purge psb-kernel-source

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I'm so happy, great!
    GREAT!
    I'l start building a xorg package with the patch in the meantime, so we'll be ready to add it to svn and bzr asap.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Built and running well. I have already updated bzr, will update svn asap. And update the binaries dir in svn in case anyone is in a rush to try 3D. Just don't forget to edit xorg.conf and comment the ShadowFB line.

Thanks Yves! I think you just won the beer/pizza/whatever everybody was offering for a working version of the drivers!

Page 103 of 543 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105113153203 ... LastLast