So, I've followed all these directions pretty closely and they've worked for me, for the most part. The only problem is that the directions to get compiz working didn't work. I think I might possibly know what the problem is though. When I was going through the directions provided in the link for Ubuntu 9.10 I came to the part where I needed to edit the "xorg.conf" and being on a freshly installed 9.10, I didn't have one. I found the command to create it, but it wouldn't let me run the command because xorg was in use and I couldn't figure out how run the command with out having the xorg server running, so I just created my own file and used the contents that I was given in the walkthrough.

Doing this I was able to fix my resolution so that it runs at the native 1366x768 (I'm on an Acer AO751h) and glxgears now gives a decent 1300 frames in 5 sec. as opposed to about 100+ before. But I can't enable the visual effects and I can't use Blender, even when I run it using "LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=1 blender"

So how do I get xorg to generate its own xorg.conf file?

I'm still pretty beginner in the technical aspects of Ubuntu. I've been using it for over 2 years, but its always worked pretty well for me out of the box, until I bought this new netbook.

Thanks for all the help.

russki_drewski