Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Asus 1005HA wireless trouble...need explanation in simple terms...

Beans

Angry Asus 1005HA wireless trouble...need explanation in simple terms...

Alright so I'm completely lost as to what I can do here. I know there are other threads that address this, but I've found most of them to be either (a) above my head or (b) outdated. I'm very new to Linux, and I need someone to help me out with this in very simple terms. Any help would be much appreciated.

(I do have limited experience in using the terminal, though)

I recently bought an Asus Eee 1005HA netbook, and it came with Windows XP. I decided that I wanted the computer to run Linux, so I downloaded and installed Ubuntu Netbook Remix. I found I didn't like that interface all, and then changed it to the desktop version of Ubuntu. I like this very much, and this is where I am now.

However, I can't seem to get internet on it. I click on the whole "Edit Connections" thing and nothing comes up under wireless (even though I know the network is working fine). The internet worked fine when I had XP on it.

I've tried the solution suggested in this thread, but my Synaptic can't seem to find ndisgtk.

I've tried a couple of other things too, but, like the above solution, I always get stuck at some step where I find that my computer is missing something.

Could someone help me out? I've been messing around with it for a day now and I have no idea what to do. And I'd preferably like not to have to use an external wifi adapter.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Re: Asus 1005HA wireless trouble...need explanation in simple terms...

Hi EmrysPen and welcome to this forum.

Hoping that this is not a program/driver problem you can do 3 basic tests.

1. check if wireless is enabled from BIOS

2. looking up right on your desktop panel there is an icon showing 'signal bars'. This is the Network Manager Applet which when 'left click it' shows the WiFi networks received and 'right clicking' there are 2 Enable selections (networking and wireless). Check that they are enabled.

3. Open a terminal window (Applications > Accessories > Terminal) and try the command:
    Code:
    sudo lshw -c network
    this will list all hardware information regarding the 'class' network. Copy and Post here the terminal respond. You can get more info about a terminal command by adding --help after the command or man before the command: lshw --help or man lshw To exit from 'man pages' press : Q

Regards,
    George
    Last edited by GeorgeVita; August 2nd, 2009 at 05:59 AM. Reason: 3rd test added

Beans

Thanks so much for your reply.

1. I checked, and my BIOS says "Onboard WLAN [Enabled]." Does that sound right? Everything under "Onboard Device Configuration" is [Enabled], in fact.

2. Hmm. This might be a problem. When I left-click, it says "No network devices available." When I right-click, there's no "Enable Wireless" option.

3. This is the output I got:
    *-network UNCLAIMED
    description: Network controller
    product: AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express)
    vendor: Atheros Communications Inc.
    physical id: 0
    bus info: pci@0000:02:00.0
    version: 01
    width: 64 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list
    configuration: latency=0
    *-network UNCLAIMED
    description: Ethernet controller
    product: Attansic Technology Corp.
    vendor: Attansic Technology Corp.
    physical id: 0
    bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
    version: c0
    width: 64 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: pm msi pciexpress vpd bus_master cap_list
    configuration: latency=0
    *-network DISABLED
    description: Ethernet interface
    physical id: 1
    logical name: pan0
    serial: c6:45:1c:7e:8d:02
    capabilities: ethernet physical
    configuration: broadcast=yes driver=bridge driverversion=2.3 firmware=N/A link=yes multicast=yes

Does that look right?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I had an identical problem. I was able to find a USB WiFi adapter that was recognized by the Eee1000HAB. Once I was able to establish a network connection, I typed this command in a terminal:

sudo apt-get install linux-backports-modules-jaunty

This command will download a driver for the installed Atheros WiFi. The wired ethernet is more involved. I did download a nightly build of 9.10 netbook remix. 9.10 will have much better netbook support once it's released.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Hi EmrysPen, I think the problem is on "UNCLAIMED", so this is a 'search string' together with '1005HA' and 'AR9285' which is the RF chip used for the WiFi.

EDIT: as we post almost the same time with walt.smith1960, his idea is simpler using the external h/w to get the driver!

Searching ubuntuforums I found: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ight=unclaimed

I think you must get wireless first from post#17 (updates kernel for Ubuntu Netbook Remix):
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...8&postcount=17

and then use wireless to update and 'look forward'! Think about posting there new questions as they all have the same hardware as you have.

Just for reference in my 1000H the sudo lshw -c network shows:
    RT2860 (RaLink) for wireless and L1e Gigabit Ethernet Adapter (Attansic Technology Corp.) for ethernet.

Regards,
    George
    Last edited by GeorgeVita; August 3rd, 2009 at 03:58 AM. Reason: 'edit' added

Beans

RE: walt.smith1960
    Thanks! Unfortunately, when I type that into the terminal, it gives me the following output:
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    E: Couldn't find package linux-backports-modules-jaunty

I'm assuming that isn't right, correct?

RE: GeorgeVita
    What does "UNCLAIMED" imply?
    Also, what does that second part of what you said mean?
    Thanks again!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Hi again, as I understand your WiFi chipset is not supported with the standard Ubuntu 9.04 distribution (kernel+drivers) and you must add/change some files as described in my link, or will be downloaded if you try the idea of walt.smith1960. He suggests to use an external USB WiFi interface that will work with the EeePC (I do not know which model) and as you have the internet connection you can update/upgrade to take the drivers from the 'backports'. You must have internet working in this case.

The idea from the link (in my previous post) is that you can copy a kernel image that supports this WiFi chipset (I have not tested) and then use the new kernel to 'make it work'.

I am sure that next version of Ubuntu (9.10) will have this WiFi chipset supported by default. So the 3rd idea is to try Ubuntu Karmic Koala (which is under development).

Regards,
    George

Beans

Ah okay, thanks.

If I change those files, do you think I will have to change them back once the new version comes out?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Hi EmrysPen,
    there is always a possibility to 'loose' some 'trims' after an upgrade, so you have to 'keep track' on what you will do till the successful connection. As other users comment, newer kernel supports your WiFi card and also a driver exists.

Regards,
    George

Beans

Talking Re: Asus 1005HA wireless trouble...need explanation in simple terms...

It worked (the second link up that you posted)!!!!

Thank you so much! You've saved me from what could have turned into hours of frustration...I can't thank you enough!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast