Thread: evdev better than kbd?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

evdev better than kbd?

I've been having some keyboard problems ever since I started using Ubuntu 9.04. Basically the modifiers aren't working properly, they're temperamental. For example if I hold alt to move the window without the title bar, sometimes it doesn't 'recognize' that I'm pressing alt and just selects an element in the window. But then, if I hold alt for a bit longer say, it starts working again.

Well, needless to say I looked through my /etc/X11/xorg.conf, and there it was: in the keyboard section the driver was kbd, I'm pretty sure I was using the evdev driver before 9.04, and lo and behold, when I changed to the evdev driver (just thought what the hell and replaced 'kbd' with 'evdev'), it started working a bit better again. Still not as good as it was in 8.10, but I think that's more due to my degrading wireless keyboard (too much call of duty I expect xD).

Does anyone know what the reason for this change is, and why kbd was giving me bad performance/bugs? I have a PS/2 wireless keyboard (labtec).

Thanks

EDIT: Nope, turns out the keyboard/mouse combo is just as buggy with evdev. I wonder what the matter could be...
    Last edited by fela; August 1st, 2009 at 02:11 PM.
    Server: 2.2GHz Athlon 64; 4GB; 2TB; Debian 5 x64
    LividEmperor: 3.3GHz i5 2500K; 8GB; 660GB; Ubuntu 10.10 x64 + Windows 7 x64
    Netbook1: 1.6GHz Atom; 2GB; 160GB; Ubuntu 10.10 x86
    Dogeatdog: 3GHz Phenom II; 3GB; 1TB; Windows 7 x64