Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: *.docx blues

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

*.docx blues

RANT ON

My law school careers service distributed what promised to be an illuminating document in *.docx format--that's MSFT's new format for Word 2007 and later.

Of course, I can't view this, and so I e-mailed, saying: "It would be nice if the document were distributed in *.doc, too."

Their response:

"That's the system/program the university provided for us -- it was our upgrade – as most student’s systems can handle. If you need it as a .doc -- just ask, or come into the office to obtain a paper version."

Uh, no. If anything *.docx breaks the de facto standard that MSFT's *.doc had become--and for no real benefit. Hell, I'm not even asking them to distribute in a free format.

I don't even know why this dismays me. The IT infrastructure at school isn't terribly "with it." I've known this for years. But it's stupid stuff like this that gets me down.

RANT OFF

Beans

Re: *.docx blues

Open office 3.0 supports .docx files.
    For high-res minimalist and abstract wallpapers check out my Deviantart profile - http://hyperdude111.deviantart.com/

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by hyperdude111 View Post
    Open office 3.0 supports .docx files.
    Not very well though.
    Code:
    while true; do echo -n "RiceMonster "; done
    Best thread ever

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Did you "rant" back to the school with something similar to what you posted here? Especially the "Uh, no. If anything *.docx breaks the de facto standard that MSFT's *.doc had become--and for no real benefit. Hell, I'm not even asking them to distribute in a free format." point you make?
    This is a signature. It is original.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

You could also look around and see where it says on their IT sites that students are required to have support for Office 2007 and later data files.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Ask them if they are incapable of opening it at their end, and choosing save as -> Office 97-2003 so that everyone can read it.

Office 07 is perfectly capable of saving in .doc format, docx is just a deliberate breaking of backwards compatibility to force people to upgrade to 0ffice 07, complete with its horrible new interface.
    im dyslexic, please don't comment on my spelling
    blender 3d artist, visit my portfolio
    Quad-Ren, Open source, resolution independent 2D graphics engine
    Screen space is a precious resource, don't waste it

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Beans

Based on the response you got, I'd say you aren't dealing with someone who is particularly computer-savvy, and probably doesn't realize how simple it would be to save as .doc (much less realize the importance of using formats *all* students can easily access rather than one that *most* students can access when it provides no tangible benefit).

I prescribe a treatment of patient, but insistent, education, while trying to avoid antagonizing the person as much as possible. You might also contact the IT department and see if they can provide this person with training necessary to provide accessible documents to students.

Be diplomatic, but don't be apologetic for using something other than Microsoft's products.

Beans

Also Google Docs supports docx AFAIK...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast