Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If I were to buy a netbook

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

If I were to buy a netbook

I'm going to college next month and I would like to buy a netbook for school studies and work and what-not.

Out of the two I was looking at (because of price, and my need to buy school books) which would be the better buy?

Acer Aspire One?

or

MSI Wind?

(I know they both 99% of the time come with Windows which isn't nearly as good for a laptop; boot-times, smaller resource imprint, etc., as Linux is, just go along with the netbooks using Windows XP/Vista)
    The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently.
    -Friedrich Nietzsche

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: If I were to buy a netbook

I recommend the Aspire, great netbook for a great price, works excellently under 9.04 with the 'old' Intel driver.
    A proper hardware cursor for OpenGL in World of Warcraft 3.1? Check my post here!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Netbooks aren't built for word processing by the way.

Netbooks also don't come with CD/DVD-ROM Drives.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by coldReactive View Post
    Netbooks aren't built for word processing by the way.

Netbooks also don't come with CD/DVD-ROM Drives.

What do you mean about the word processing? I'm sure they could handle OpenOffice on a 1GB RAM system

And I'm aware of the lack of a optical drive
    The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently.
    -Friedrich Nietzsche

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Netbooks with a 95%-sized keyboard are fine for word processing. I have an HP Mini 1120nr, and it's great for typing.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I have an Aspire One running Linpus Light. It is fast, stable, and does everything it is supposed to. The screen on that sucker is very bright and it has no hardware issues what so ever if you leave it with Linpus.

There are only 2 downsides to it.

1st. Linpus Light is based on Fedora 8 and the packages are a bit out of date.

2nd. The battery life is not very good, so if you do decide to go with that look into getting a better battery.

Other than that its great and it already comes with Firefox and Open Office.
    True freedom requires sacrifice and pain. Most human beings only think they want freedom. In truth they yearn for the bondage of social order, rigid laws, materialism, the only freedom man really wants, is the freedom to become comfortable.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by coldReactive View Post
    Netbooks aren't built for word processing by the way
    doesnt seem like there would be a problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

My Aspire One is great, I love it, and even tough typing isn't the best you get used to it.

Blog | I'm available for programming contributions. C & Python.
    Intel Core i7 920 | EVGA x58 SLI | NVidia GeForce 8600 GT | WD 500GB HDD | Corsair XMS3 3GB | Ubuntu 9.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I was leaning towards the Aspire One because I was at Walmart today and I was looking at them for like 15 minutes and they keyboard on the one I liked (10.1") seemed better then my laptop's.
    -Friedrich Nietzsche

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 13.10 Saucy Salamander

I'm in collage your going to want a real laptop

Laptops can do a lot more then next books because there so much more prower full. Comparing a intel Centrino 2 CPU to a Intel Atom is like comparing a harley motorcycles to a Kids bicycle

also the most important difference is that a full size keyboard on a laptop is going to allow you to type fast which you can't do with a tiny Netbook keyboard

bigger screen the bigger your screen the more productive your going to be (don't get me wrong I'm not saying you should get a laptop with a monitor thats 17 inches because thats not portable but a 15 inch is great

and last laptops have bigger hard drives that way you will be able to get a hard drive thats big enough to dual boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu because theres a good chance you will take a class that your going to need to use software thats only going to work on Windows (Sad but true)

just something you should think about before buy a netbook
    Dan

PS there are more reasons but I think those are enough

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast