Thread: Ubuntu 9.04 freezes at 63% on install

Beans

Red face Ubuntu 9.04 freezes at 63% on install

I was installing Ubuntu from cd.Everything was going great until I hit 63% and it just stayed at 63% for 20 minutes so I did a manual shutdown and came to ask on here anybody have any ideas. I checked for defects and it said I had 1 error maybe I should delete the os off the disk and burn it again.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Ubuntu 9.04 freezes at 63% on install

Quote Originally Posted by sebas215 View Post
    I was installing Ubuntu from cd.Everything was going great until I hit 63% and it just stayed at 63% for 20 minutes so I did a manual shutdown and came to ask on here anybody have any ideas. I checked for defects and it said I had 1 error maybe I should delete the os off the disk and burn it again.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
    Have you tried reburning the CD at a lower speed? If you have already, perhaps your CD drive's optical sensor is dirty, or your hard drive is failing.

These suggestions are assuming that it froze during the copying files phase, by the way.

Andrew
    A proper hardware cursor for OpenGL in World of Warcraft 3.1? Check my post here!

Beans

I am going to try reburning at a lower speed since i believe I left it at the highest speed you can burn at =) I dont think the sensor is dirty maybe dusty because I don't use it to often.

Isn't there ubuntu partially on my computer already since i canceled more than half way through installation can i delete it?
    Last edited by sebas215; August 1st, 2009 at 06:04 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Quote Originally Posted by sebas215 View Post
    I am going to try reburning at a lower speed since i believe I left it at the highest speed you can burn at =) I dont think the sensor is dirty maybe dusty because I don't use it to often.

Isn't there ubuntu partially on my computer already since i canceled more than half way through installation can i delete it?
    yes part of Ubuntu should be installed but your going to need to write over it now

also make sure to check the disc for defects when you boot the live CD it should be an option right after you pick your language

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

If you are burning the CD from Windows, you may want to try Infra Recorder:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto
    Burn at the slowest possible speed, as has already been suggested. Then boot up the CD and choose the option "Check disc for defects". If it passes the test, then proceed with the installation.
    Registered Linux User #422464 http://linuxcounter.net/
    Use the search engine that respects your privacy rights: https://startpage.com/

Beans

thank you for the help