Thread: Solution to running ms paint (paintnt.exe) on Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron (32bit)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Post Solution to running ms paint (paintnt.exe) on Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron (32bit)

This solution may already be posted somewhere, but I couldn't find it. I pieced together my solution from others, did a complete reinstall of mspaint, and was very detailed in my explanations.

Solution to running ms paint (paintnt.exe) on Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron (32bit).

Get wine, first open a terminal and type

sudo apt-get install wine

Reboot computer

Download mspaint here <---click this
    After downloaded move the paintnt.exe file from it's current location
    to the desktop, this is only for convenience and is not required.

Now download the necessary .dll here <---click this
    The .dll necessary is currently in the mfc42u.zip you just downloaded
    so you need to right-click mfc42u.zip and select "Extract Here". Then move the extracted folder, mfc42u, to the desktop.

Now click Applications on your panel and mouse-over Wine and then click
    "Browse C:\ Drive". A file browser window will open. Two folders should
    be present, "Program Files" and "windows". Doulbe-click "windows" and this
    is where you need to put your newly downloaded files.

First drop and drag the paintnt.exe file from your desktop to this folder. Now go back to your desktop and open the mfc42u folder to find, "mfc42u.dll" and "readme.txt" just ignore the readme file. Now drop and drag the mfc42u.dll file to the same place as the paintnt.exe .

Open a terminal and type

sudo sysctl -w vm.mmap_min_addr=0

sudo wine paintnt.exe

sudo wine MSPAINT.EXE

NOTE: MSPAINT.EXE is intentionally in capitals.

mspaint is now working on your computer.

Addendum: To make a shortcut right-click on your top panel then click "Add to Panel..." Now double-click "Custom Application launcher". Name it what you want, then in the command line type

sudo wine MSPAINT.EXE

Finally click on the icon that looks like a spring under a board. Choose an icon. Click okay, then okay again. And voila! You have just installed mspaint on your computer and created a shortcut.
    Last edited by jmwilli25; July 31st, 2009 at 08:26 AM. Reason: Corrected link
    I die a little inside every time I need to boot into Vista.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Solution to running ms paint (paintnt.exe) on Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron (32bit)

Wow...goooood.....But who want the craps like mspaint ?
    --- I am what I am because of what we all are ----

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Solution to running ms paint (paintnt.exe) on Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron (32bit)

Seriously, you want to use mspaint?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Lightbulb Re: Solution to running ms paint (paintnt.exe) on Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron (32bit)

Quote Originally Posted by Grenage View Post
    Seriously, you want to use mspaint?
    There are some of us out there that are familiar with the program and enjoy it's simplicity. Like I have read many places, there are plenty of other open source solutions to needing mspaint, but that is no reason not to post a guide to obtain mspaint. I would much rather have someone attempt the installation and tell me if there were any problems rather than question it's validity. Thanks for the constructive input though...
    I die a little inside every time I need to boot into Vista.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

lol mspaint??
    I suppose its a personal choice but gimp is so much better and far more advanced than mspaint in my opinion.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Gimp is indeed advanced but if you do things like design games or so, ms paint is convenient for designing sprites and small scale graphics. Advanced is good, but so is simple.

This is only my opinion.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I remember that app since Windows 1.0 - I still wake up some nights screaming no no no

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Neon Lemmy Koopa View Post
    Gimp is indeed advanced but if you do things like design games or so, ms paint is convenient for designing sprites and small scale graphics. Advanced is good, but so is simple.

This is only my opinion.
    I can definatley agree with that. I have seen some people make some rather neat sprites using mspaint.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux.