Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: beginner with hacked openssh box, please help!

Beans

Re: beginner with hacked openssh box, please help!

old Unix hackers tend to use this method to restrict access to SSH server
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAC_address

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by Sepanderi View Post
    This is true, hence moving your SSH server to some other port decreases the number of login attempts massively. I also used to get hundreds or thousands of login attempts a day (most of them from China), so I started using sshblack, but really the fastest and easiest cure is to use a non-standard port.
    Meh they are just bots using dictionary attacks. If someone was actually trying to get in they would just port scan you. All moving the port does is clean up your logs.

I mean seriously I saw one bot was going through the alphabet trying users (A B C etc..). I'll bet the passwords it was trying were the same as the user names it was trying.
    "You can't expect to hold supreme executive power just because some watery tart lobbed a sword at you"

"Don't let your mind wander -- it's too little to be let out alone."

Beans

1. What Every Web Programmer Needs To Know About Security - Google ...

Skip to page content Skip to main navigation. Google Code ... the book "Foundations of Security: What Every Programmer Needs To Know" for use by instructors ...
      code.google.com/edu/submissions/daswani/index.html - Cached - Similar
    2. Web Security - Google Code University - Google Code

Skip to page content Skip to main navigation. Google Code ... of the chapters in the book "Foundations of Security: What Every Programmer Needs To Know" for ...
      code.google.com/edu/security/index.html - Cached - Similar
    3. APRESS.COM : Foundations of Security: What Every Programmer Needs ...

Click the Google Preview image to preview this book! If you wish to preview other books, check this listing. Book Details. Foundations of Security: What ...
      www.apress.com/book/view/9781590597842 - Cached - Similar

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by jerome1232 View Post
    Meh they are just bots using dictionary attacks. If someone was actually trying to get in they would just port scan you. All moving the port does is clean up your logs.

I mean seriously I saw one bot was going through the alphabet trying users (A B C etc..). I'll bet the passwords it was trying were the same as the user names it was trying.
    I agree but changing the default port gets rid of 90 % + of the script kiddies as they are called and performing a port scan is taking the game to another level, and port scanning can get very sophisticated.

A well configured set of iptables will help a ton with port scans.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Thanks again to all for the further ideas. I'm getting a whole toolchest for future reference. First (and easiest) I'll definitely be using a nonstandard ssh port. A good idea, even if it's not perfect. After all, in this game it's not so much a matter of being invulnerable as of being less vulnerable than the next guy.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by quixote View Post
    Thanks again to all for the further ideas. I'm getting a whole toolchest for future reference. First (and easiest) I'll definitely be using a nonstandard ssh port. A good idea, even if it's not perfect. After all, in this game it's not so much a matter of being invulnerable as of being less vulnerable than the next guy.
    Security is like an onion - It has layers and they stink
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Why does security stink? Couldn't it be related to petals on a rose instead?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

if it stinks, you're doing it wrong ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123