Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Gens/GS r7_pre2 - Preview Release

Beans

Re: Gens/GS r7_pre2 - Preview Release

Quote Originally Posted by superG View Post
    left, right, up, down works in Gens, but diagonal not

When I pressing up+left in jstest, it shows in 6 and 7 axis -32767 simultaneous.
    Unfortunately, I'm not able to reproduce this. Using the Genesis I/O Sample Program ("Multitap - IO Sample Program (U) (Nov 28 1992).gen" in GoodGen), I see both U and L activated when holding Up+Left on my gamepads. Same for all four diagonal directions. (I'm using a Wii Classic Controller and a GameCube controller with an adapter.)

What game(s) are you playing that exhibit the no-diagonals problem when using a gamepad?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by GerbilSoft View Post
    What game(s) are you playing that exhibit the no-diagonals problem when using a gamepad?
    Mortal Kombat 3 Ultimate, Snakes Rattle & Roll.

Just tried PS3 SIXAXIS, while giving perfect output on both jstest and on SDLJoytest, it's rather unusable on Gens, D-Pad controls are swapped, and you should press very hard, to see any input, the same thing with buttons (I think that's because sixaxis has analog buttons, and it reports different values based on how hard it's pressed).

I run I/O Sample Program on my Chillstream, and there is problems:
    [in register dump table (2,1) position when counting from zero] D-Pad is lowest 4 bits, up is bit0, left is bit2, when I pressing them simultaneous, I am not getting 5 there; also when pressing any button of D-Pad, (3,1) byte is flickering.
    SACBMXYZ works correctly.

I have analyzed input_sdl.c, and I think, problem can be here:

My D-Pad detected as POVHAT.

BOOL input_sdl_check_key_pressed(uint16_t key)

case INPUT_JOYSTICK_TYPE_POVHAT:
    {
    // Joystick POV hat.
    static const uint8_t povKeyToBit[4] = {SDL_HAT_UP, SDL_HAT_RIGHT, SDL_HAT_DOWN, SDL_HAT_LEFT};
    uint8_t povBit = povKeyToBit[INPUT_JOYSTICK_GET_POVHAT_DIRECTION(key)];

if (INPUT_SDL_JOYSTICK_CHECK_POVHAT_DIRECTION(input_s dl_joy_state, joyNum, key, povBit))
    return TRUE;
    break;
    }
    I want to fix that thing, but unfortunately I spend hour compiling Gens/GS on my Ubuntu64 in 32-bit mode, and with no success. Quick & dirty I have edited configure.in, and tried adding -m32 switch to cflags_debug and CFLAGS, then autoreconf -fvi - no luck.

Maybe you know more clean ways, how to compile that on x86_64 Ubuntu, but in 32-bit mode?
    Last edited by superG; August 15th, 2009 at 08:14 AM. Reason: Another Update

Beans

My D-Pad detected as POVHAT.
    Interesting, since the Linux joystick system doesn't actually support POV hats. It only supports axes. I wonder why SDL is mapping it to a POV hat in this case.

In any case, I don't think that function is why diagonals aren't working. Can you get me the exact name of what Gens/GS detects the axes as? (i.e. in Controller Configuration, it should say things like "Joy 0, Axis Y-" and "Joy 0, Axis Y+".)

EDIT:

Just tried PS3 SIXAXIS, while giving perfect output on both jstest and on SDLJoytest, it's rather unusable on Gens, D-Pad controls are swapped, and you should press very hard, to see any input, the same thing with buttons (I think that's because sixaxis has analog buttons, and it reports different values based on how hard it's pressed).
    I reworked the function for SDL key configuration so it will hopefully improve configuration on controllers that have non-joystick axes, such as the SixAxis analog buttons. Specifically, the function takes the current state of the buttons, and only returns a value if the state changes to 0 and then to a non-zero value.
    Last edited by GerbilSoft; August 16th, 2009 at 02:33 AM. Reason: SDL key configuration rework.

Beans

In any case, I don't think that function is why diagonals aren't working. Can you get me the exact name of what Gens/GS detects the axes as? (i.e. in Controller Configuration, it should say things like "Joy 0, Axis Y-" and "Joy 0, Axis Y+".)
    Up: Joy 0, POV 0 Up
    Down: Joy 0, POV 0 Down
    Left: Joy 0, POV 0 Left
    Right: Joy 0, POV 0 Right

BTW, I have tried Chillstream on Windows r7_pre3 version, D-Pad is fully working there, all diagonals, but anyway, there's used DInput backend, not SDL one.

Beans

Up: Joy 0, POV 0 Up
    Down: Joy 0, POV 0 Down
    Left: Joy 0, POV 0 Left
    Right: Joy 0, POV 0 Right

BTW, I have tried Chillstream on Windows r7_pre3 version, D-Pad is fully working there, all diagonals, but anyway, there's used DInput backend, not SDL one.
    I'm not exactly sure why it's recognizing the controller input as POV hats, since Linux's joystick interface doesn't support it. (Or did you post the controller configuration information from the Windows version?)

In any case, all of my gamepads report standard axes for all controls on Linux, and diagonals work, so unfortunately I'm stuck here.
    Last edited by GerbilSoft; August 16th, 2009 at 07:56 AM.

Beans

(Or did you post the controller configuration information from the Windows version?)
    No, it's from Ubuntu.

Beans

No, it's from Ubuntu.
    Can you post your system information? i.e. Ubuntu version, architecture, USB devices, etc. I'm stuck here, and need to figure out what's going on before I can attempt to fix it. Also, library versions would be useful, i.e. what version of SDL and GTK+ you have installed.
    Last edited by GerbilSoft; August 16th, 2009 at 10:12 AM.

Beans

Can you post your system information? i.e. Ubuntu version, architecture, USB devices, etc. I'm stuck here, and need to figure out what's going on before I can attempt to fix it. Also, library versions would be useful, i.e. what version of SDL and GTK+ you have installed.
    Ubuntu 9.04, x86_64
    A lot of usb dev's, scanner, printer, bluetooth dongle, mouse, keyboard, but only one joystick at a time, 4Gb RAM, Athlon64 4200+, GeForce.
    gtk-2.16.1
    SDL-1.2.13

Architecture isn't a problem, I just tried joystick and Gens on 32-bit architecture PC with Ubuntu 9.04, and same problem there.

Beans

Ubuntu 9.04, x86_64
    A lot of usb dev's, scanner, printer, bluetooth dongle, mouse, keyboard, but only one joystick at a time, 4Gb RAM, Athlon64 4200+, GeForce.
    gtk-2.16.1
    SDL-1.2.13

Architecture isn't a problem, I just tried joystick and Gens on 32-bit architecture PC with Ubuntu 9.04, and same problem there.
    I'm using Ubuntu 8.04 as my test system. I'll install 9.04 in a VM tomorrow and see if it changes anything.

Beans

I'm using Ubuntu 8.04 as my test system. I'll install 9.04 in a VM tomorrow and see if it changes anything.
    No need, I have fixed this at last.

Error was in code chunk, I was reffering to earlier, macro INPUT_SDL_JOYSTICK_CHECK_POVHAT_DIRECTION, see patch for further info.

Though, can't say anything POVHAT, SDL seems to support it on Linux.
    Now everything is working correctly.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast