Thread: Installation on old computer

Beans

Installation on old computer

Can Ubuntu 9.04 (from alternate CD) be installed on computer with Pentium 180 MHz and 32 Mb RAM? Or is it better to use another distribution of Linux?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Installation on old computer

You may want to install something lighter like Damn Small Linux or Puppy Linux. You could probably run Ubuntu, but you'd need to do a customized install. I'd say install from a server disk (there's no GUI to start with) and add in a lighter desktop than XFCE, Gnome, or KDE. They all require more resources than you have in their current incarnations. I've been hearing good things about LXDE, but it's still in development.
    “You tried your best and failed miserably. The lesson is: never try.” --Homer Simpson

Beans
    Hidden!

as chris said, dsl or puppy should be the best. or, you could try a debian minimal+xfce, or arch linux + xfce or some other lightweight DE.

Try DeliLinux.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by P_Aleksandrov View Post
    Pentium 180 MHz and 32 Mb RAM?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sef View Post
    +1 vote for DeliLinux. I'm using Deli on a very old Pentium 200 MMX with 32 MB (Originally 16MB) RAM.

I tried a lot of distros before finally settling on Deli for this crappy machine. See a screenshot of it running in a virtual machine with only 12 MB RAM ! (Yes, TWELVE, not ONE-TWENTY-EIGHT). (I wanted to see how low I could go, 12 is the absolute minimum for GUI, otherwise I could go lower).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by prshah; July 28th, 2009 at 04:54 PM.
    Cheers,PRShah
    Make your own: Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Mythbuntu All-in-One Live DVD
    "I never make mistakes; I thought I did, once.. but I was wrong."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

For a small distribution, I like Siltaz. It has a very easy setup and sees wireless cards and printers without a lot of work.

http://www.slitaz.org/en/get/
    Last edited by lindsay7; July 28th, 2009 at 04:47 PM.
    Six Saturdays a week for me.

Beans

I forgot to say that I don't want to install any desktop environment on it. I want to install only samba and telnet servers (to access floppy disk drive and so on).
    Last edited by P_Aleksandrov; July 28th, 2009 at 07:46 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by P_Aleksandrov View Post
    I forgot to say that I don't want to install any desktop environment on it. I want to install only samba and telnet servers (to access floppy disk drive and so on).
    Then just use the Ubuntu server installation disk. The Alt installation disk still installs a DE, it just uses a more basic* installer to get there. If you use the server disk, when the installation completes you will only have the cli unless you explicitly install a DE.

* "more basic" as in, not as graphical. It is still fully functional.
    “You tried your best and failed miserably. The lesson is: never try.” --Homer Simpson