Thread: empty desktop?

Beans

<solved> empty desktop?

As the title is saying: I cannot see the documents that i placed on the desktop. I know they are there because i can see them when i browse to Desktop in Nautilus or on the panel Places -> Desktop.

After some googling I found out that the documents become visible after i do alt-F2 and type nautilus

But they are gone after I restart again.

Also I checked gconf-editor but under apps -> nautilus -> preferences -> show desktop items is checked.

After installing ubuntu netbook remix i switched to the classic view with the desktop switcher. Everything else is running really well.

Does somebody know how to fix this, because it is slightly annoying.
    Last edited by joris1977; August 7th, 2009 at 11:22 PM. Reason: solved

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: empty desktop?

You could try adding Nautilus to the list of startup applications.

Press Alt+F2 and enter "gnome-session-properties". When the Startup Applications Preferences window pops up, click Add and enter the following:

Name: Nautilus
    Command: nautilus

Beans

Thanks for the suggestion giant speck. It is a work around, but I rather have a solution. With a netbook I like to keep start-up time, as short as possible. Maybe I will do a reinstall and see if it happens again, if so than I might make a bug report. I am just thinking there is something wrong in my settings that can easily be fixed, I just can't figure out how and why this happens...

Beans

Ok fixed it!

If you have the same problem. Here's how i did it
    Press alt-f2
    type gconf-editor
    Go to Desktop -> gnome -> session

make sure that the required_components_list has the value filemanager if not, as was in my case and probably is a bug in the netbook-remix. than click on it and add the value filemanager.

so it will look like this

[windowmanager,panel,filemanager]