Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Boot LiveCD iso from grub2

Beans

Re: Boot LiveCD iso from grub2

I have Ubuntu 8.10 booting now by iso. I could not get it to work until I put the iso inside a folder titled iso. Here is my working menuentry

menuentry "ubuntu8.10amd64 (ISO = /dev/sda8)" {
    insmod ext2
    setroot=(hd0,8)
    loopback loop (hd0,8)/iso/ubuntu8.10amd64.iso
    linux (loop)/casper/vmlinuz boot=casper iso-scan/filename=/iso/ubuntu8.10amd64.iso noeject noprompt
    initrd (loop)/casper/initrd.gz
    }

I'm trying to understand the linux booting process a little more. Its pretty simple to get the first part of it to load and then either a no file system error or you need to load the kernel first error will kill the process. I was getting a kernel panick message in Ubuntu before putting it in a folder named iso on its own partition.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Gemu View Post
    I'm trying to understand the linux booting process a little more. Its pretty simple to get the first part of it to load and then either a no file system error or you need to load the kernel first error will kill the process. I was getting a kernel panick message in Ubuntu before putting it in a folder named iso on its own partition.
    The system will boot to a certain point before it has to find the files designated by the root command. If the address is wrong, it will come to a halt - it can lead to hopes of success as it initially boots, but will ultimately fail.

The "iso" folder isn't required, you just have to make sure the path is correct for whatever folder contains the ISO. In my experimenting, I've found it's best for me to create whatever the file structure the guide uses as an example until I get it working and know everything is correct. Then I start moving things - and learn from my mistakes.
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by drs305 View Post
    The system will boot to a certain point before it has to find the files designated by the root command. If the address is wrong, it will come to a halt - it can lead to hopes of success as it initially boots, but will ultimately fail.

The "iso" folder isn't required, you just have to make sure the path is correct for whatever folder contains the ISO. In my experimenting, I've found it's best for me to create whatever the file structure the guide uses as an example until I get it working and know everything is correct. Then I start moving things - and learn from my mistakes.

I thought the iso folder might be required because of whats in the title - IS0 = /dev/sdxx. it sure wouldn't boot without adding it.

I was trying to get knoppix 5.1 to boot by iso also. It was trying to boot, now it doesn't even try to start. Im not sure what happened.

Here is the entry maybe you can see some fault in the entry.

menuentry "KNOPPIX5.1 (ISO = /dev/sda5)" {
    insmod ext3
    setroot=(hd0,5)
    loopback loop (0,5)/iso/KNOPPIX5.1.iso
    linux (loop)/boot/isolinux/linux boot=isolinux iso-scan/filename=/KNOPPIX5.1.iso noprompt noeject
    initrd (loop)/boot/isolinux/minirt.gz
    }

It got farther by using isofrom=/dev/sd/iso/KNOPPIX5.1.iso as opposed to iso-scan.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

What I see, but it may not be everything:

insmod ext3
    setroot=(hd0,5)
    loopback loop (hd0,5)/iso/KNOPPIX5.1.iso
    linux (loop)/boot/isolinux/linux boot=isolinux iso-scan/filename=/iso/KNOPPIX5.1.iso noprompt noeject
    }

This was my entry for Maverick in sdc5 (but I boot sdc so it is hd0) and may files are in /boot/ISO in sdc5.

menuentry "Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick 64bit" {
    set isofile="/boot/ISO/maverick-desktop-amd64.iso"

loopback loop (hd0,5)$isofile
    linux (loop)/casper/vmlinuz boot=casper iso-scan/filename=$isofile nomodeset
    initrd (loop)/casper/initrd.lz
    }
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Gemu View Post
    I thought the iso folder might be required because of whats in the title - IS0 = /dev/sdxx. it sure wouldn't boot without adding it.
    If you mean what's inside the quotes on the "menuentry" line: You can have anything you want inside the quotes of a custom entry. I usually put the device (sda10, etc) just so I can keep track of where it is. But you could have "My ice cream" as the title and if the rest was correct it would still boot.
    Last edited by drs305; September 16th, 2010 at 01:57 AM.
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Please follow my old reply in this thread!
    Nokia Booklet 3G with dual boot Ubuntu 12.04 and windows7

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    What I see, but it may not be everything:

insmod ext3
    setroot=(hd0,5)
    loopback loop (hd0,5)/iso/KNOPPIX5.1.iso
    linux (loop)/boot/isolinux/linux boot=isolinux iso-scan/filename=/iso/KNOPPIX5.1.iso noprompt noeject
    }

This was my entry for Maverick in sdc5 (but I boot sdc so it is hd0) and may files are in /boot/ISO in sdc5.

menuentry "Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick 64bit" {
    set isofile="/boot/ISO/maverick-desktop-amd64.iso"

loopback loop (hd0,5)$isofile
    linux (loop)/casper/vmlinuz boot=casper iso-scan/filename=$isofile nomodeset
    }
    When Knoppis 5.1 is booted by cd it mounts its hard drives as /dev/hda and I tryed every variation of all that you can iamgine and still nothing.

The error's I get now for this entry are - file doesn't exist, no file system found and you need to load the kernel first.

I understand the boot= command points to the folder where the kernel resides. In Knoppix 5.1, minirt.gz is inside /boot/isolinux. Im not sure where vmlinuz is. It may be deep inside the /boot/isolinux/linux compressed image.

Beans

Still no change for the Ubuntu 11.04 Server;
    'Incorrect CD-ROM detected'
    Would be great if there wasn't mucking around to get it to work.
    Desktop works fine.

Code:
    menuentry "ubuntu maverick (11.04) 64-bit install" {
    	#set root=(hd0,1)
    	#set gfxpayload=keep
    	set isofile="/boot/ubuntu-11.04-desktop-amd64.iso"
    	loopback loop $isofile
    	linux (loop)/casper/vmlinuz file=$isofile/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper iso-scan/filename=$isofile noprompt only-ubiquity --
    }

menuentry "ubuntu server (11.04) 64-bit" {
    #	set gfxpayload=keep
    	set isofile="/boot/ubuntu-11.04-server-amd64.iso"
    	loopback loop $isofile
    	linux (loop)/install/vmlinuz file=$isofile/preseed/ubuntu-server.seed vga=788 iso-scan/filename=$isofile noprompt --
    	initrd (loop)/install/initrd.gz
    }

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567