Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: AT&T Bans 4chan

Beans

Re: AT&T Bans 4chan

4chan is so full of annoying memes like advice dogs and locats and Candlejack that I can barely manag
    Q)Why did the multithreaded chicken cross the road?
    A)to To other side. get the
    Q)Why did the multithreaded chicken cross the road?
    A)other to side. To the get

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Trail View Post
    4chan is so full of annoying memes like advice dogs and locats and Candlejack that I can barely manag

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Trail View Post

Beans

statement from 4chan's admin:

http://status.4chan.org/

Monday, July 27, 2009

Here's what happened:

For the past three weeks, 4chan has been under a constant DDoS attack. We were able to filter this specific type of attack in a fashion that was more or less transparent to the end user.

Unfortunately, as an unintended consequence of the method used, some Internet users received errant traffic from one of our network switches. A handful happened to be AT&T customers.

In response, AT&T filtered all traffic to and from our img.4chan.org IPs (which serve /b/ & /r9k/) for their entire network, instead of only the affected customers. AT&T did not contact us prior to implementing the block. Here is their statement regarding the matter.

In the end, this wasn't a sinister act of censorship, but rather a bit of a mistake and a poorly executed, disproportionate response on AT&T's part. Whoever pulled the trigger on blackholing the site probably didn't anticipate [nor intend] the consequences of doing so.

We're glad to see this short-lived debacle has prompted renewed interest and debate over net neutrality and internet censorship—two very important issues that don't get nearly enough attention—so perhaps this was all just a blessing in disguise.

Aside from that, I'll also add that there is some big news due later this week. Keep an eye on the News page, Twitter, and global message for updates.

As always, I can be reached at moot@4chan.org.

---

PS: If any companies would like to hook us up with some better hardware, feel free! The architecture we've got powering this large and influential beast is really quite embarrassing. ( ._.)

by moot @ 12:44 PM
    Semper Fi

My Non-Ubuntu Blog.
    All posts by me are Public Domain.

Beans

China 2.0...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Yownanymous View Post
    China 2.0...
    so you think someone from AT&T or the Government forced moot to make the statement i quoted above?
    Semper Fi

My Non-Ubuntu Blog.

Beans
    Hidden!

@earthpigg - Thank you for that post. I'm very glad to see it wasn't an act of censorship from AT&T.

Anyways, I'm going back to browsing /g/.
    arch 2008.06
    Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6850 | Asus Maximus II Formula | EVGA 8800GT Superclocked | 4GB G.Skill DDR2-1000 | Zalman ZM600-HP

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by .Maleficus. View Post
    see you there.

(for the uninitiated, /g/ is for /g/eeks. two prevalent memes/jokes are 1- rms does not approve and 2- installing gentoo linux is the solution to whatever computer problem anyone is having.)
    Semper Fi

My Non-Ubuntu Blog.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by earthpigg View Post
    see you there.

(for the uninitiated, /g/ is for /g/eeks. two prevalent memes/jokes are 1- rms does not approve and 2- installing gentoo linux is the solution to whatever computer problem anyone is having.)

I'd like to add "dasturp trad" to the list of /g/ memes.

(Even though it's not really a meme, it's just what people say.)
    arch 2008.06
    Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6850 | Asus Maximus II Formula | EVGA 8800GT Superclocked | 4GB G.Skill DDR2-1000 | Zalman ZM600-HP

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by .Maleficus. View Post
    @earthpigg - Thank you for that post. I'm very glad to see it wasn't an act of censorship from AT&T.

That's the only board I browse. And I love to browse it to find people that are computer impaired.
    .i coi rodo

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567