Page 52 of 64 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Set up VNC server with resumable sessions

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: HOWTO: Set up VNC server with resumable sessions

Everytime I try to connection, I get an error connection reset by peer.

Any help please?

Beans

hey,

I have a Xvnc running on Ubuntu server with GNOME as for GUI.

my Xvnc file started with xinetd:

service vnc2
    {
    type = UNLISTED
    disable = no
    socket_type = stream
    protocol = tcp
    wait = yes
    user = root
    server = /usr/bin/Xvnc
    server_args = -inetd :1 -query localhost -geometry 1024x768 -depth 16 -once -fp /usr/share/fonts/X11/misc -DisconnectClients=0 -NeverShared passwordFile=/root/.vncpasswd -extension XFIXES
    port = 5903
    }
    service vnc1
    {
    type = UNLISTED
    disable = no
    socket_type = stream
    protocol = tcp
    wait = yes
    user = root
    server = /usr/bin/Xvnc
    server_args = -inetd :2 -query localhost -geometry 1280x1024 -depth 16 -once -fp /usr/share/fonts/X11/misc -DisconnectClients=0 -NeverShared passwordFile=/root/.vncpasswd -extension XFIXES
    port = 5902
    }
    service vnc3
    {
    type = UNLISTED
    disable = no
    socket_type = stream
    protocol = tcp
    wait = yes
    user = root
    server = /usr/bin/Xvnc
    server_args = -inetd :3 -query localhost -geometry 1280x1024 -depth 16 -once -fp /usr/share/fonts/X11/misc -DisconnectClients=0 -NeverShared passwordFile=/root/.vncpasswd -extension XFIXES
    port = 5904
    }

I have also added the following lines to /etc/services

vnc1 5902/tcp
    vnc2 5903/tcp
    vnc3 5904/tcp

The deal is that I can make two connections to the server but not three at the same time. For example, if vnc1 and vnc2 are on then vnc3 cannot be made with the given error:

read: Connection reset by peer (10054)

Any help will be appreciated.

kamkos

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by popie View Post
    Here are the instructions I use, and they work in v8.04.

VNC Server w/Resumable Sessions on Ubuntu
    Works in Ubuntu 7.04, 7.10, 8.04, and Mint 4 (Daryna)
    Hello.

I am trying to remote control an Ubuntu Desktop 8.04LTS installation.
    The "standard" remote desktop that you can configure into gnome did work fine, but everytime you reboot you have to login manually, and even if you setup automatic login the X server on :0 won't start with no monitors turned on and connected into the VGA port. Basically X server won't start on an headless computer.

So I have followed this guide to run resumable sessions over :1

But I have some problems, basically the "desktop theme" (i don't know how else call the style of the windows, scroll bars, etc, hope you understood, English is not my first language) keeps changing every seconds o_O' ... and I am getting a bunch of error.

It seems like some widgets (network one?) are not authorized to run on :1 or something like that. I don't even know how to remove it from the bar now that I haven't got the monitor plugged in.

This is a sample of errors I get in .xsession-errors
    ** (nm-applet:5447): WARNING **: <WARN> nma_dbus_init(): could not acquire its service. dbus_bus_acquire_service() says: 'Connection ":1.24" is not allowed to own the service "org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerInfo" due to security policies in the configuration file'

** (gnome-session:5322): WARNING **: Failed to authenticate with GDM
    Avviso del window manager: CurrentTime used to choose focus window; focus window may not be correct.
    Avviso del window manager: Got a request to focus the no_focus_window with a timestamp of 0. This shouldn't happen!
    seahorse nautilus module shutdown
    The program 'gnome-settings-daemon' received an X Window System error.
    This probably reflects a bug in the program.
    The error was 'BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)'.
    (Details: serial 3152 error_code 3 request_code 20 minor_code 0)
    (Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously;
    that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it.
    To debug your program, run it with the --sync command line
    option to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful
    backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error() function.)
    ** Message: Got disconnected from the session message bus; retrying to reconnect every 10 seconds
    DBus connection has been lost, trackerd will now shutdown
    I am very frustrated. There has to be a simple way to control an Ubuntu 8.04 LTS desktop headless installation without having to keep the VGA port connected to a monitor, or having themes changing every seconds with gnome slowing down and so on the :1 display ...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by ziogionni View Post
    ... There has to be a simple way to control an Ubuntu 8.04 LTS desktop headless installation without having to keep the VGA port connected to a monitor, or having themes changing every seconds with gnome slowing down and so on the :1 display ...
    I have sam problem - that is settings changes. Seems to be triggered when I launch a program after logon, and continues til at get a settings-server error. Tried cure mentioned in post below - but with no result. http://ubuntu-virginia.ubuntuforums....&postcount=510

ALSO: I can't do certain changes using Xvnc - like adding new user. There is not prompt for SUDOer password... Why is that ??
    Last edited by FJA; August 26th, 2008 at 09:44 PM.

Beans

VNC on hardy has been a real pain in the neck for me.

my laptop (hardy) can perfectly do vnc to any realvnc winxp machine,
    also tsclient to xppro works, but can't get vnc (also not vinagre) to work to another Ubuntu hardy machine.

I get either connection closed or with vnc Connection reset by peer (104)

Note ssh works perfect.

grrrrr at the end of my knowledge here.
    Any help appreciated
    Greetings,
    Media Junkie

Beans

Hi Guys

Finally got vnc working nicely in hardy.

I also had the theme change errors.

When i looked in ~/.xsession-errors i see....

** (nm-applet:15671): WARNING **: <WARN> nma_dbus_init(): could not acquire its service. dbus_bus_acquire_service() says: 'Connection ":1.314" is not allowed to own the service "org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerInfo" due to security policies in the configuration file'

Now I'm not sure if I'm talking rubbish here but authorizations [system->administration->auhorizations] generally isn't set up to allow certain stuff to happen when you are not logged in on a local terminal....which you don't have when you are logged in via Xvnc....its remote...so..

anyway to cut a long story short I messed around in the authorizations tab [system->administration->auhorizations] (you are going to need to do this for stuff like HAL too otherwise you won't be able to mount usb drives in gnome over vnc) and also under the gnome tab in there..you should change the settings to change system settings to allow anyone with admin authentication if you want the policykit unlock boxes not to be grayed out over vnc

and then i also installed the .debs for vnc4server from this url as mentioned on the previous page..

http://www.francescosantini.com/inde...=linux&lang=en

and that was it..everything worked from there....so for me changing authorization policies and installing those debs sorted out performance and also that theme and usb mount problems...

Notes: My /etc/xinetd.d/Xvnc file has the following lines to it:

service Xvnc
    {
    type = UNLISTED
    disable = no
    socket_type = stream
    protocol = tcp
    wait = yes
    user = root
    server = /usr/bin/Xvnc
    server_args = -inetd :1 -query localhost -geometry 1024x768 -depth 16 -once -fp /usr/share/fonts/X11/misc -DisconnectClients=0 -NeverShared passwordFile=/root/.vncpasswd -extension XFIXES
    port = 5901
    }

@mediajunkie I know this is a really n00b silly question but on hardy you are allowing the port your vnc service is to run on through your firewall?

oh lastly if you don't feel like plugging the monitor back in and logging in on the local console again, and want to change a bunch of stuff under authorizations that you are not authorized to change under your account on a non local terminal (even if you are an admin) then very briefly enable the root account log in as root over vnc change what you have to and disable the account again.
    Last edited by jon.breakdesign; August 28th, 2008 at 12:57 AM.

Beans

Yep, even turned off firewall. // it does work from laptop to xp machines, running realvnc.
    Greetings,
    Media Junkie

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

[QUOTE=Jose Catre-Vandis;5577387]Thanks, this works fine on Hardy 8.04.01 after a fresh install

I'm wondering is there a way that I can resume my current "at home" session when I connect remotely? i.e, when I VNC to home from work, can I see the session I have open at home?

I find it annoying to have to login via the main ubuntu login screen and then I have a blank desktop - while at home my screen shows the apps I have running.

does it have anything to do with the "-NeverShared" part in "service Xvnc"??
    if so, what is the option to allow me to resume my current "home" session?

Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!

[QUOTE=jocko_johnson;5692329]
    Quote Originally Posted by Jose Catre-Vandis View Post
    Thanks, this works fine on Hardy 8.04.01 after a fresh install

I'm wondering is there a way that I can resume my current "at home" session when I connect remotely? i.e, when I VNC to home from work, can I see the session I have open at home?

I find it annoying to have to login via the main ubuntu login screen and then I have a blank desktop - while at home my screen shows the apps I have running.

does it have anything to do with the "-NeverShared" part in "service Xvnc"??
    if so, what is the option to allow me to resume my current "home" session?

Thanks
    My experience is that you should be able to do this. If I leave my session logged in at home and then access via vnc at work I get the same session either via vnc (Linux) or putty (Windows). I can also login at work and then vnc from home to the same desktop.
    No longer participating......

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

[QUOTE=Jose Catre-Vandis;5696095]
    Quote Originally Posted by jocko_johnson View Post

My experience is that you should be able to do this. If I leave my session logged in at home and then access via vnc at work I get the same session either via vnc (Linux) or putty (Windows). I can also login at work and then vnc from home to the same desktop.
    any idea how I alter my settings to allow this?
    every time I "PuTTY" from my work windows machine, or my wifes laptop I get a ubuntu signin screen and then a totally new session which I dont want.

when I login using Vino server I resume the session, but I prefer xvnc server because of the existence of more options ( better password options - vino is 8 char max, I can tell xvnc to only allow connections from my user, etc... )

unless Vino offers these options too? the GUI for vino offers very little in terms of options.

anyway, for Jose Catre-Vandis, your post detailing the instructions to get xvnc server running were great. thank you for that very much.

Page 52 of 64 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast