Page 11 of 64 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Set up VNC server with resumable sessions

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Smile Re: HOWTO: Set up VNC server with resumable sessions

Quote Originally Posted by Indiana Red
    I am a brand new user and this sounds exactly like what I get. I followed the several step procedure spelled out at the beginning of this thread and my VNC client can connect from my XP box in the other room (on the same subnet) and prompts for the pwd and then I get the full grey screen with the "x" as the mouse pointer.
    No firewalls are between the ubuntu box and this XP machine, just a switch and 2 WAPs.
    Hmmm what did I do wrong?
    YUP, I think I have got it down to this:
    Firewall is restricting us..
    I allow 5901 and now it lets me log in to the system... with IP:1... if I wanted more I could add them
    If you don't like firewall and are not used to them... try friestarter, thats what I did...
    sudo apt-get install firestarter
    Like my avatar? Help us make more and your own! http://launchpad.net/memaker
    Book of Mormon-MP3 or BOOK
    "Microsoft is open-source friendly in the same way that a butcher is friendly to a cow." -- This Guy

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Set up VNC server with resumable sessions

Tichondrius,

Now that vnc4server is fixed, I've had no problem installing XDMCP for both display 1 using vnc4server (original post) and for display 0 using x11vnc.
    [I'm on a Dapper amd64 kernel.]
    Thanks for that - you were way ahead of your time.

Is there a way to add more displays? If I wanted to utilize display 2, display 3, etc, what must I do to the xinetd configuration? I tried adding and duplicating things here and there, but it did not work. Sometimes i would get display 2, but lose display 1, etc.

What's the proper way to implement this?

Thanks.
    Last edited by kacheng; May 16th, 2006 at 09:47 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kacheng
    Tichondrius,

Now that vnc4server is fixed, I've had no problem installing XDMCP for both display 1 using vnc4server (original post) and for display 0 using x11vnc.
    [I'm on a Dapper amd64 kernel.]
    Thanks for that - you were way ahead of your time.

Is there a way to add more displays? If I wanted to utilize display 2, display 3, etc, what must I do to the xinetd configuration? I tried adding and duplicating things here and there, but it did not work. Sometimes i would get display 2, but lose display 1, etc.

What's the proper way to implement this?

Thanks.
    Adding additional displays should be as easy as creating a second Xvnc file (say xvnc2) and changing the port and display information for each desired display session. Cheers.

Beans

That does not quite seem to be the case.

I copied /etc/xinetd.d/Xvnc to /etc/xinetd.d/Xvnc2 and change the display to :2 and port to 5902.

This gets me closer - I now have an independent display :1 as before, but display:2 gives me the display:0 connection.

So, if I open three sessions, :0 is the physical display, :1 is an XDMCP session, and :2 is the physical display again.

Do I have a missed configuration setting somewhere? I set the XDMCP settings to allow 5 displays per host.

Beans

I am sorry to bottle you folks,but i have a problem like this, i have already followed every step pointed here, i am using ubuntu 5.10 and when i tried to test vncviewer in the same computer where i installed the vncserver package (required here) i got this error message:

jmaravi@j-maravi1:~$ vncviewer j-maravi1:0
    VNC viewer version 3.3.7 - built Sep 27 2005 11:12:00
    Copyright (C) 2002-2003 RealVNC Ltd.
    Copyright (C) 1994-2000 AT&T Laboratories Cambridge.
    See http://www.realvnc.com for information on VNC.
    vncviewer: ConnectToTcpAddr: connect: Connection timed out
    Unable to connect to VNC server

I can ping the name j-maravi1, i have set up all the configuration on the vino-preferences.....

The xinitd service is running, i don't know what else to do....

Thanks

Jorge

Beans

This is an excellent HOW-TO. Helped to relieve me of the restrictions imposed by the Gnome Remote Desktop i.e. limited screen resolution. Thanks Tichondrius.

Beans

I have followed the instructions in the tutorial without much success.

Initially, I was able to connect locally to the vnc server, but all I got was a window with the infamous grey background and "X" cursor. I then edited my gdm configuration to enable XDMCP, and also changed my router settings to forward port 5901 (which I thought would be unnecessary for local connection) and rebooted.

After that reboot. when attempting to connect on localhost using vncviewer, I am prompted for the password, and after entering it vncviewer exits with:

ReadFromRFBServer: rdr::EndOfStream

which is not very helpful. Subsequent reboots have not affected anything. I have tried changing the password with "sudo vncpasswd /root/.vncpasswd" but it has had no effect.

Has anyone experienced anything like this, or does anyone know what this message means? Please let me know if I should provide any more information, and thanks in advance.

Beans

okay i got this up and running for the most part..I can log in but the screen is all grey and wavy...i have a 21 inch widescreen lcd panel that runs at 1680x1050 would i have to edit the geometry line to something else?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by Tichondrius
    1. Enable XDMCP
    System->Administration->Login Screen Setup
    Tab Security->Enable XDMCP
    Tab XDMCP--> You can disable "Honor Indirect Requests"
    is there any way to perform this step with no gui interface? i'm trying to get this done via ssh.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Enable XDMCP
    System->Administration->Login Screen Setup
    Tab Security->Enable XDMCP
    Tab XDMCP--> You can disable "Honor Indirect Requests"
    How do you do this in dapper? I can't find these settings in dapper, my vnc worked perfectly in breezy but since i updated i get those dot screens.
    This normally is because of the XDMCP setting.

Page 11 of 64 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast