Page 10 of 64 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Set up VNC server with resumable sessions

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Set up VNC server with resumable sessions

Update: I got it to work nicely after some xorg.conf editing. Disabling the loading of 'dcc' and making a modeline for my screen did the trick.
    How u have edited xorg.conf ???
    >>Disabling the loading of 'dcc'<< where is ???

>>and making a modeline for my screen did the trick<< please explain me !!!

tks a lot

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Zaraf, if you got it Xinet.d config working, can you give us an update.

You're post just got it working on my machine as well.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Quote Originally Posted by iMick
    I am having an intermittant problem VNC'ing to my ubuntu box. Sometimes I cannot connect, my VNC viewers just don't show anything without errors.

I run top on the box locally, the xvnc process is running at 100% CPU which seems to be blocking the connections.

Is there anyway to prevent this from happening?
    I think I might be having the same problem as you, and I am clueless as to why it is happening. I have gone through the how-to several times, and posted the same problem in the other thread about using Hamachi together with resumable VNC sessions for remote controlling PC's.

Intermittently, I will simply be unable to connect with VNC to the PC that has been setup with it. There are no errors being displayed in VNC, and this happens either by running vncviewer locally on the box, or remotely from another PC. I can't seem to find any errors elsewhere that would give some clue as to what is going on. I have tried reconfiguring Xvnc to listen on another port, and to use display :2 instead :1, all to no avail.

Notably, this problem seems to happen on both of my Ubuntu boxes.

Does anyone have any clue as to what might be happening in these situations, or what I can look for? The problem is completely intermittent, one day I can start up the PC and it would be fine, the next day I fire up the PC and it doesn't work. Furthermore, I can even login one day to the PC, use the PC for a while, log out, and when attempting to login again, VNC will fail with no errors.

Help! ] (*,)

Beans

I've been trying this on a dodgy old server, and I don't want to install GDM (or the rest of gnome). Instead, I'm trying to use xdm, so far with little success. the vnc session starts fine, but leaves me with a window with an empty X session (grey background, X mouse pointer). I've tried a few things to make sure xdm is allowing xdmcp connections, but nothing so far. Any ideas?

Beans

So I've bit the bullet and installed gdm, and it worked. Once. I logged out, and now I get the same problem as before - a blank X session. Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by vik4
    So I've bit the bullet and installed gdm, and it worked. Once. I logged out, and now I get the same problem as before - a blank X session. Any ideas?
    Have you checked your firewall? I had that grey screen and when I shutdown my firwall it all worked again.
    Like my avatar? Help us make more and your own! http://launchpad.net/memaker
    Book of Mormon-MP3 or BOOK
    "Microsoft is open-source friendly in the same way that a butcher is friendly to a cow." -- This Guy

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by vik4

I am a brand new user and this sounds exactly like what I get. I followed the several step procedure spelled out at the beginning of this thread and my VNC client can connect from my XP box in the other room (on the same subnet) and prompts for the pwd and then I get the full grey screen with the "x" as the mouse pointer.
    No firewalls are between the ubuntu box and this XP machine, just a switch and 2 WAPs.
    Hmmm what did I do wrong?

Beans

hmm... i seem to have a different issue... i can't lock the screen. if i lock the screen on display 1, i don't see the lock dialog box asking for password. i can use mouse to interact but i no longer sees drop down menu. keyboard events are not registering. if i ssh in and kill gnome-screensaver then i am back in business. on display 0, i can lock the screen and all.

also sometimes when logging out, the Xvnc process is not terminated. so next time, the vnc won't connect until i restart the xinetd and kill the Xvnc.

otherwise, it's working...

thanks

sg

Beans
    Hidden!

I am a brand new user and this sounds exactly like what I get. I followed the several step procedure spelled out at the beginning of this thread and my VNC client can connect from my XP box in the other room (on the same subnet) and prompts for the pwd and then I get the full grey screen with the "x" as the mouse pointer.
    No firewalls are between the ubuntu box and this XP machine, just a switch and 2 WAPs.
    Hmmm what did I do wrong?
    I have just got to the bottom of this one myself.

gdm needs to be running, and xdmcp also needs to be enabled.

To start gdm use the following command on the machine you are trying to remote to ( this assumes you can either physically access it, or you have already "ssh"ed in Terminal)

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start (you might then need to wait a minute, depending on the speed on your machine)

Next ensure that XDMCP is enabled

sudo gedit /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf
    or
    sudo nano /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf (if doing this through Terminal)

and find the [xdmcp] section at the end of the file
    change

Enabled=False

to

Enabled=True

Then save and then best to reboot. of course if gdm is not loaded on boot, you will have to start it again
    Last edited by Jose Catre-Vandis; May 13th, 2006 at 01:26 AM.

Beans

I have a little problem with this

I have set up the Ubuntu box as posted here and try to log in using TightVNC from a Windows XP box.

If I try to connect immediately after starting the Ubunto box it all works fine - I can connect through TightVNC and all is well.

However if I start the Ubuntu box and do not log in immediately but wait 10-15 minutes before trying to connect from the Windows box, I get nothing - the TightVNC viewer just does not "find" anything and hangs around in the task manager without doing anything (not even an error, that it can't find a the server...)

I can log in through SSH to restart gdm, but this does not change anything - I stil can't get TightVNC to connect. Do any of you have any suggestions as to what might cause this and how to solve this problem?

Page 10 of 64 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast