Thread: Cluster

Beans

Cluster

I want to make ubuntu cluster.
    didn't find on google nor on forum any tutorials.

at least point me at some directions or where sould I start from

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Cluster

what do you want to clustered?
    An application?
    Your file system?
    Or do you mean that you would like to implement a OS based fail over solution?

You obviously should be more precise!

Search better: http://www.cuil.com/search?q=debian+cluster

HTH

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by H4F View Post
    I want to make ubuntu cluster.
    didn't find on google nor on forum any tutorials.

at least point me at some directions or where sould I start from
    When you say you "want to make [an] ubuntu cluster", I assume you mean you want to use a number of computers running ubuntu to make a cluster super-computer. This is a pretty specialized kind of job, and from your rather naive post (asking for tutorials?!!) I assume you are a bit of a newbie to linux. This isn't really a newbie kind of operation. But if that's what you want to do, I will endeavour to help you do it. Never let it be said that the ubuntu forums community isn't helpful!

A good place to start might be the Yahoo Answers page on this very question. Well, maybe not the exact same question. But similar.

Then you might want to look at www.clustermonkey.net, a link which was suggested in that Yahoo Answers question.

I really don't think you're going to find a tutorial on how to make a ubuntu cluster. However, this document outlines how to set-up a cluster using linux - the distro used is Red Hat, but I imagine the concepts will be the same for Debian-based distros (like ubuntu). And there are lots of other useful-looking links in these google search results. (Honestly, google is your friend, even when it can't answer your exact first question. So don't spurn it so readily!)

In brief: you are not going to find a step-by-step "Noob's Guide to Making an Ubuntu Cluster Super Computer". What you will find is plenty of stuff on what clusters are and how to design/build them. A lot of this will be on how to go about it using linux. What you need to do is read as much as possible on and around this subject. Then you must examine how to put what you've learned into practice. This isn't the kind of stuff you can expect to be spoon-fed. Nor will you master it in a day. But I'm sure it'll be dead interesting! Good luck!!
    Last edited by t0p; July 27th, 2009 at 02:27 PM.
    "All people are scum. No matter what they look like." ~ Spider Jerusalem, Transmetropolitan #4

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by t0p View Post
    When you say you "want to make [an] ubuntu cluster", I assume you mean you want to use a number of computers running ubuntu to make a cluster super-computer. This is a pretty specialized kind of job, and from your rather naive post (asking for tutorials?!!) I assume you are a bit of a newbie to linux. This isn't really a newbie kind of operation. But if that's what you want to do, I will endeavour to help you do it. Never let it be said that the ubuntu forums community isn't helpful!

A good place to start might be the Yahoo Answers page on this very question. Well, maybe not the exact same question. But similar.

Then you might want to look at www.clustermonkey.net, a link which was suggested in that Yahoo Answers question.

I really don't think you're going to find a tutorial on how to make a ubuntu cluster. However, this document outlines how to set-up a cluster using linux - the distro used is Red Hat, but I imagine the concepts will be the same for Debian-based distros (like ubuntu). And there are lots of other useful-looking links in these google search results. (Honestly, google is your friend, even when it can't answer your exact first question. So don't spurn it so readily!)

In brief: you are not going to find a step-by-step "Noob's Guide to Making an Ubuntu Cluster Super Computer". What you will find is plenty of stuff on what clusters are and how to design/build them. A lot of this will be on how to go about it using linux. What you need to do is read as much as possible on and around this subject. Then you must examine how to put what you've learned into practice. This isn't the kind of stuff you can expect to be spoon-fed. Nor will you master it in a day. But I'm sure it'll be dead interesting! Good luck!!
    Yeap thats exactly what my question was. Thanks. I will try http://www.mcsr.olemiss.edu/bookshel...a_cluster.html