Thread: Left Click Problem

Beans

Left Click Problem

Ok. I am posting here because I can't find any information on the internet that seems even remotely useful, hopefully someone out here can help! My problem is this:

As I was browsing in firefox this morning my left click key and touch pad clicking stopped working. I restarted with no improvement. Rebooted in windows and found something funky going on. Still no left click either by key or via touchpad but it acted as if I were holding down either the left click or control key* (you know you get that neat little blue square you can make bigger or smaller by moving the mouse). Another reboot in ubuntu with a slight improvement now I can left click freely using either the keypad or an external mouse.

I am still holding out hope that this isn't a hardware issue (as I no longer have insurance, boo!)

Somethings that may be helpful: Right click works just fine. I am pretty much new to ubuntu so i tend not to change settings around (assume everything is set to default) & running jaunty with no other problems.
    *in the past I have had random problems where for a few minutes it will act as if crtl is being held down when it's not

Ideas? Tips? Anything? Thank you in advance for you help!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Left Click Problem

Well, the fact that it happens on two independent OSs does suggest a hardware related problem. Does it only happen in Firefox?

Beans

No, it happens everywhere. I just can't left click at all

If it is the hardware would it be wise to try and remove the offending key myself and clean it or something along those lines?

Beans

I am a genius!! I don't need a left mouse key at all. All I really need is a button that will perform that function! Does anyone know of a way to bind a key to act as a left click?

Beans

Swap the left and right keys (ie. make it a left handed setup), its in the mouse setup.

Personally I would just clean the key.

Beans

This is very interesting, I have a had a similar problem with my left mouse button not working, also in windows and ubuntu but it only seems to start playing up after I've used firefox. It also happens when I use a different mouse.

Any ideas?

I've found it's possible to get around this by right clicking on the top bar first but it's obviously a nuisance.

Beans

Just disable touchpad or unplug mouse and the problem is fixed