View Poll Results: Who thinks we should start pushing Ubuntu to kids and schools?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

16 84.21%
  • No

1 5.26%
  • Maybe

1 5.26%
  • Requires Discussion

1 5.26%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ubuntu Push to Youth

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Ubuntu Push to Youth

Maybe I should. But I just left school

I have heard of schools in germany and the netherlands adopting linux a lot more openly. Edubuntu's already making a fair bit of headway so thats pretty good though I think there's a difference between pushing ubuntu to schools and to youths. I've noticed quite a few kids at the school I went to have sort of heard of ubuntu but they all seem to think that it's some magical piece of software and don't actually know what it really is.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by durand View Post
    Maybe I should. But I just left school

I have heard of schools in germany and the netherlands adopting linux a lot more openly. Edubuntu's already making a fair bit of headway so thats pretty good though I think there's a difference between pushing ubuntu to schools and to youths. I've noticed quite a few kids at the school I went to have sort of heard of ubuntu but they all seem to think that it's some magical piece of software and don't actually know what it really is.
    Lol. That's how Linux was for me before I got to college. I had heard of it and just figured it was some super complicated thing that was above my level of computing. That's exactly the stigma I'd like to cure. Nobody should think that anything is above their level of intelligence.

"If it can be done by man, you can do it"
    -My Dad

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Whether we get help from a nearby LUG or not, I think having a Linux club at my school would be awesome, especially because you need a teacher to be a sponsor/facilitator... that teacher might learn how much money the school could save by switching and pass it along.

I think we'll have more trouble getting past the "geek mystique" of Linux among the kids and administration than we will in finding a sponsor or even getting the school to take a serious look at FOSS.

Amy
    Dance Class: No Place for Wimps!
    Non-Geeky Girls Love Linux Too!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12