Thread: Dell Inspiron 8000 install with 1gig usb stick

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Dell Inspiron 8000 install with 1gig usb stick

Hello everyone is there a way to install Ubuntu with a 1 gig USB stick without having internet access. I can't install the wireless card till I get an OS on the laptop

Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Dell Inspiron 8000 install with 1gig usb stick

Quote Originally Posted by abansb View Post
    Hello everyone is there a way to install Ubuntu with a 1 gig USB stick without having internet access. I can't install the wireless card till I get an OS on the laptop

Thanks
    There are many ways to install Ubuntu. But, you've got to go to the internet to get the iso file to download and burn. That, or request canonical for a cd/dvd copy.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation
    "The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it" .... A. Glasow

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I already have the ISO image on my desktop I don't have internet on my laptop and installed on the usb stick but when I try to install from the usb stick it tries to connect to the internet

My CD/DVD is not working at the moment sometimes it reads sometimes it don't

Beans
    Hidden!

I already have the ISO image on my desktop I don't have internet on my laptop and installed on the usb stick but when I try to install from the usb stick it tries to connect to the internet

My CD/DVD is not working at the moment sometimes it reads sometimes it don't
    Just to make sure I remember the install process, I just installed (about 3 minutes old) ubuntu 8.04 desktop on a laptop from a flash drive. During the installation process, I was never asked an internet connection. The only time I was required a internet connection was for the first updates after reboot.

What version do you have downloaded and for what kind (server, desktop, etc)?

What happens if you decide to ignore the internet option during the install process?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

sorry I know I said I need to get an OS on the laptop first I have windows on the laptop I am trying to use the wubi install is asking for a connection

Beans
    Hidden!

sorry I know I said I need to get an OS on the laptop first I have windows on the laptop I am trying to use the wubi install is asking for a connection
    Wubi guide. Hope it helps.

Make sure you have both WUBI installer and the Ubuntu iso file. If all you have is the wubi installer ... it will ask for an internet connection to download the iso (ubuntu) file and install.
    "The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it" .... A. Glasow

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I did not know wubi was on the copied CD

Thanks