Thread: Kid/Teen-Friendly LUGs?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Kid/Teen-Friendly LUGs?

I went with a friend to a Linux Users Group meeting. It wasn't kid-friendly (nor girl-friendly) at all! Everyone was much older and there was drinking and cussing and um, "adult conversation." One obnoxious old guy kept offering to buy drinks for me and Robin even after we told him we're just kids. There was very little conversation about Linux.

Is there such a thing as a LUG where kids/teens are taken at least a little seriously? And I don't mean, "Here's an Edubuntu disk, kid. Now run along and play," or "come sit here in my lap, little girl, and tell me all about it."

We'll end up starting a Linux club at school I guess, but it would be alot easier if there was some national "umbrella" organization we could affiliate our club with... maybe to share resources, a safe web site (I did find one at teensonlinux.org), that kinda thing.

Do you ladies know of any such thing? Have you tried a Linux club at school?

Oh, and if you go to a LUG, um... don't wear your hair in pigtails. Just say'n.

Amy
    Last edited by Little Bit; July 23rd, 2009 at 12:03 PM. Reason: punctuation
    Dance Class: No Place for Wimps!
    Non-Geeky Girls Love Linux Too!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Kid/Teen-Friendly LUGs?

Hey, Amy, in the spirit of Ubuntu and open-source, why don't you go ahead and do it! That sounds like a great idea - try starting that group at school and spreading the word, set up a network for teens and see how far you get.

Go girl!

(ps: That experience doesn't sound like something I would particularly get into either, even though I am male and not in my teens!)

Re: Kid/Teen-Friendly LUGs?

Locked. Duplicate thread in the Community Cafe.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine