Thread: Drop-kick Picasa client ...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Drop-kick Picasa client ...

I've been running Picasa's Linux client for a few months now, and I'm sick of it. Yes, I like not having to upload through a web interface. Yes, I like being able to organize offline and then sync when I'm online. There are problems too, though: Picasa keeps losing track of my albums (there are a lot of photos that I've had to reorganize multiple times), and it doesn't sync reliably -- it sometimes fails to upload pictures I want to upload, or just uploads everything again (which is a pain, because I sync my Picasa feed with Plaxo and Facebook, so my connections get notifications that I upload the same photos over and over). And there have been situations where Picasa uploads photos I'd prefer to keep private (no nude photos, but photos of people doing things that they don't mind their friends seeing, but might not want to have published for all the world to view).

Too, I'd rather have a native Linux client if possible, rather than something that requires an installation of its very own Wine wrapper (I already have a Wine installation), which takes up a fair amount of space on my smallish hard drive.

Is there another Picasa client available for Linux? A plugin for an existing graphics program? Or another free site/client combination that is comparable? Flikr is out because of low limits on number of photos displayed.

Any input is helpful. I'm running Ubuntu 8.10 on a Dell Latitude D420 laptop with 1GB RAM and a 1.2 GHz Core Duo.

Thank you in advance.
    Current box: Sony VAIO VGN-FZ250E, Ubuntu Oneiric.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Drop-kick Picasa client ...

Have you tried F-Spot (Ubuntu's default)? It integrates with Picasa if you want.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Drop-kick Picasa client ...

Huh ... so it does! Well I'll be darned.

I'll give that a try. Thank you!
    Current box: Sony VAIO VGN-FZ250E, Ubuntu Oneiric.

Beans