Thread: Live USB Files Not on Flash Drive

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Live USB Files Not on Flash Drive

I wanted to make a live usb drive. Got UNetBootin from Applications > Add/Remove and downloaded the iso. Ran the GUI -- most definitely selected the correct USB drive -- and thought it was successful. I tried to boot from the flash drive and got an error saying that the kernel wasn't there... Rebooted back into Ubuntu, checked it out and sure enough no files on the flash drive.

Then I notice, that UNetbootin somehow created a new usb directory in my media directory (media/USB\040DISK) and all the files are there, instead... This new USB directory is locked, permission for root only...

Is it safe to log in as the root user and just delete this file? (And what is the best/safest way to go about doing this?)

Any ideas for why it failed to end up on my flash drive?

And suggestions for how to avoid this issue in the future -- and get the files actually onto the flash drive?

Thank you for any advice!

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Live USB Files Not on Flash Drive

I am guessing that mountpoint is where your USB drive mounts to. Was it mounted when you tried to create the Live USB stick?

You can safely remove the files, no problem. One idea might be to simple move them onto your USB drive though, since it sounds like it created a viable Live Stick, just not on an actual USB drive.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Try using the Ubuntu USB Startup disk creator.
    Dell Latitude E6400 | Intel Core 2 Duo T9400 @ 2.53 GHz | 4GB DDR2 SDRAM @ 800 MHz | 250GB HDD 7200 RPM | NVIDIA Quadro NVS 160M 512 MB
    Use a Dell E-Latitude? | I lost The Game

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jeppewinther View Post
    I am guessing that mountpoint is where your USB drive mounts to. Was it mounted when you tried to create the Live USB stick?

You can safely remove the files, no problem. One idea might be to simple move them onto your USB drive though, since it sounds like it created a viable Live Stick, just not on an actual USB drive.
    Yes, it probably was mounted... Should I have unmounted the volume before starting the program?

Thanks for mentioning that I can safely remove or move the files...
    What is the best way for me to do that? Terminal gksudo nautilus?

Thank you for your help!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by pizza-is-good View Post
    Try using the Ubuntu USB Startup disk creator.
    I went with uNetBootin as I've used it (successfully!) before... Definitely going to go with Ubuntu USB Startup Disk Creator in the future.

Thank you for the suggestion!