Thread: Madwifi make error.

Beans

Madwifi make error.

So, I've been trying to get my wireless card working for a bit now. I'm not able to hard connect, so it's a bit more complicated. I'm running a Thinkpad X200 Tablet, and I finally ran across a thread where several people claimed madwifi was the ticket. (ndisgtk had some issues.) I installed build essential from the cd, and when I went to make madwifi I got this:

make -C /lib/modules/2.6.28-11-generic/build SUBDIRS=/home/ezra/Desktop/madwifi-0.9.4 modules
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.28-11-generic'
    CC [M] /home/ezra/Desktop/madwifi-0.9.4/net80211/ieee80211_power.o
    /home/ezra/Desktop/madwifi-0.9.4/net80211/ieee80211_power.c: In function 'ieee80211_pwrsave':
    /home/ezra/Desktop/madwifi-0.9.4/net80211/ieee80211_power.c:240: error: implicit declaration of function '__skb_append'
    make[3]: *** [/home/ezra/Desktop/madwifi-0.9.4/net80211/ieee80211_power.o] Error 1
    make[2]: *** [/home/ezra/Desktop/madwifi-0.9.4/net80211] Error 2
    make[1]: *** [_module_/home/ezra/Desktop/madwifi-0.9.4] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.28-11-generic'
    make: *** [modules] Error 2

I'm not exactly sure why, but I've never really been able to use the make command with any consistency in Ubuntu. I have with other distros, but I think Ubuntu dislikes me. Any ideas on how I clear this up?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Madwifi make error.

A little Googling shows multiple tickets about this in Madwifi's bug tracker. It's been fixed in the later versions though, so just grabbing an up to date build from here should solve the issue.

Personally I used the hal-10.5.6-current build on Ibex, but since ath5k works just fine with Jaunty on my card, haven't built Madwifi drivers since the upgrade. Anyhow, with the merge of the free & trunk branches, I guess the trunk one is recommended now, as it doesn't depend on the binary-only Hardware Abstraction Layer.