Thread: howto update linux kernel-packages with terminal without gui Update Manager?

Beans
    Hidden!

howto update linux kernel-packages with terminal without gui Update Manager?

If sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade command is run, all packages should be updated.

But when gui Update Manager is launched, System > Administration > Update Manager,
    it shows that there is more packages to be updated, Linux-headers, Linux-images-*, etc.

Those packages dont update just running sudo apt-get upgrade.

Howto update also those kernel packages using command line? I don't want to use gui to update my system.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: howto update linux kernel-packages with terminal without gui Update Manager?

Open terminal and type the following commands:
    $ sudo apt-get update

Now search kernel version:
    $ apt-cache search kernel-image

Now install kernel by explicitly specifying version number:
    $ sudo apt-get install linux-image-2.6.xx-yy-generic

Replace xx.yy with kernel version number. Reboot the system.

Thats how I did it. Hope it helps.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: howto update linux kernel-packages with terminal without gui Update Manager?

First of all, why use apt-get?
    My kernels always update automatically but I am using aptitude instead.

Code:
    sudo aptitude update
    sudo aptitude safe-upgrade
    sudo aptitude full-upgrade
    Should do the trick usually..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by user34532 View Post
    If sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade command is run, all packages should be updated.
    No, all packages that can be updated without installing or removing other packages will be updated. The rest will be held back. To install those, you can use aptitude as another poster suggested, or run sudo apt-get dist-upgrade instead of sudo apt-get upgrade.
    This is the first age that's paid much attention to the future, which is a little ironic since we may not have one.
    -- Arthur C. Clarke

Beans

I just installed ubuntu server, how can I install the latest version of the linux kernel? I dont have a GUI, how can I even download it if i dont have browser, my pc is full connected to the internet, I just have the x windows to use commands. please help. I want the the version 3.8.7
    thanks everyone for your help.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Necromancing - Thread closed
    Please do not post in threads more than one year old as many things change between Ubuntu releases and the solutions provided in the thread may not be pertinent to your installation.

Thanks!
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.