Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Missing Rhythmbox ID3 tag demuxer plugin

Beans

Missing Rhythmbox ID3 tag demuxer plugin

Apparently this problem came up with previous versions of Rhythmbox, and a fix was supposedly found and applied, but I have Ubuntu 9.04 and the latest Rhythmbox release, and I still get the problem. What it is is that on every startup of Rhythmbox it asks to search for a missing ID3 tag demuxer plugin and then fails to find one. Previous discussions have stated that there is one inside one of the "good", "bad" or "ugly" gstreamer plugins accessible via Synaptic, and I have installed pretty well all of them (obtained using the keyword "gstreamer" in the Synaptic search box), and still the problem recurs.

The previous discussion to which I refer is here:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ox/+bug/343707
    and there is some mention of "good", "bad" and "ugly" plugins here:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-333690.html
    but it is two years old and rather inconclusive.
    Last edited by Rowan Berkeley; July 19th, 2009 at 09:43 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Arrow Re: Missing Rhythmbox ID3 tag demuxer plugin

Try banshee instead of Rhythmbox.....

Code:
    sudo apt-get install banshee
    --- I am what I am because of what we all are ----

Beans

Re: Missing Rhythmbox ID3 tag demuxer plugin

I have tried Banshee (which incidentally is markedly inferior to Rhythmbox in its ability to read tags), but Rhythmbox is the default music player for all versions of Ubuntu, and this is a long-running bug. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a fix for it.
    Last edited by Rowan Berkeley; July 19th, 2009 at 11:18 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Thread moved to Multimedia & Video.

It should be noted that Rhythmbox development is in the process of shutting down (if it hasn't fully died already); the core developer cited the inflexible backend as the main reason to stop. So due to lack of upstream development there's a major likelihood that the bugs you experience now will continue to be experienced for years to come. Future Ubuntu versions will no doubt have a different default music player.

However, the beauty of the GPL license allows you or the community at large to do whatever you like with the Rhythmbox codebase, so if you feel like coding up a solution to that bug, you're welcome to it.... ...just be aware that the previous developers of that codebase got sick of dealing with the headaches inherent in it.
    What makes a great open source contributor is not primarily the brilliance of their ideas or importance of their bug, but rather their willingness to see it through to success.

Beans

I shall not regard that as a thread-closing comment. Rhythmbox is still being used on new distributions of Ubuntu -- I bought my current computer brand new, two weeks ago, with Jaunty ready installed, and this is what I got. I expect a constructive reply.

Beans

If Rhythmbox is shutting down, what is taking its place?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Can't believe there isn't an answer to this problem. My solution was to delete the offending file. I felt really bad.

Beans

I may have stumbled onto the fix. Posted it here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1142209&page=2). If that doesn't fix it I'd like to know what situation(s) it doesn't resolve because it seemed to do the trick on two unrelated issues I was having and I'd love to keep Rhythmbox useful.
    With all the unchecked confusion in the world, I simply refuse to be the first to explain myself.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Ever since Amarok 2 replaced Amarok 1, I haven't been able to find a stable music player in Ubuntu.

Banshee crashes and moves slowly.

Songbird is ghastly in Linux.

Amarok 2 can't recognize my media collection on a fat32 partition.

Rythymbox runs great. But now it's not being developed?

When will we solve this problem?

Limbo periods for music players are not ok.

PS The linked solution above doesn't work for me. I already have those packages installed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Arrow Re: Missing Rhythmbox ID3 tag demuxer plugin

try Exaile or listen...................
    --- I am what I am because of what we all are ----

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast