Thread: Resume from suspend restart on Latitude XT

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

[SOLVED]Resume from suspend restart on Latitude XT

Hello,
    I am runnuing Ubuntu 9.04 on a Dell Latitude XT (tablet), and almost everything is working fine, except for one thing:

sometimes, when I suspend the computer, when I open the lid for it to resume, it shuts down, at the exact moment I open the lid. But this only happens sometimes, say 3 out of 10 times I suspend

My system is slightly modified, so that the touchscreen works:

I installed the 2.6.30 kernel (from Karmic, ubuntu 9.10)
    I also pulled xserver-xorg-video-radeon and xserver-xorg-core from karmic.
    I am using the open source 'radeon' driver, since ati has decided to drop support for my card, and the fglrx dirver no longer works.

I have cheked the system logs and havent found anything useful, only the line:

syslogd 1.5.0#5ubuntu3: restart.
    in the messages log, at the exact moment it was supposed to resume from suspend.

I know this situation is pretty specific, but If someone could give me some pointers on how to further debug this issue that would be great!

here is the pertinent portion of my xorg.conf

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Configured Video Device"
    Driver "radeon"
    Option "AccelMethod" "EXA"
    EndSection
    going back to a older kernel version is really last on my list, since that would break the touchscreen (finger input, pen works just fine on older kernels)

thanks!
    Last edited by 4Play; July 18th, 2009 at 03:51 PM. Reason: problem solved

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Resume from suspend restart on Latitude XT

Well, I seem to have solved the problem by disabling resume on lid open, now I have to press the power button for it to resume. I think this approach might be even better than the resume-on-open-lid.
    If anyone else is interested, this thread has a good guide on how to disable wakeup on lid open

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Resume from suspend restart on Latitude XT

Hi 4Play,

It sounds like you've solved your problem. I don't know if it had anything to do with the 2.6.30 kernel.

But Ayuthia has made some deb.s of n-trig patches to the current Jaunty kernel that folks say work better than using 2.6.30. You also use a xorg.conf along with the patched kernel. The xorg.conf might give you some ideas even if you're not interested in the patches or deb.s. See Appendix 2 near the bottom here for the xorg.conf and link to Ayuthia's instructions and deb.s: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...92#post6274392

And a thread to skim through where a couple folks set things up: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1206355&page=2

I hope this is useful.