Thread: Installing from source

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Installing from source

Hey guys,
    I have a few questions about ubuntu(and other *buntus too i guess) which came up while installing 64 bit firefox 3.5 from source. (the 64 bit version launches way faster. its great.)

Where is the default ubuntu dir for programs? I'd like to keep my system tidy and move all the new firefox files to the "right" place.

Once I compile a program (make, make package) how do i tell ubuntu that the new it is installed so that ubuntu puts icons for it in menus, has it as an option on "open with..." GUI menus, and has a command i can use to launch it from the cli? (i guess i can manually put entries in menus and make aliases in the command line but is there an easy way to do this all at once?) Should i not be asking for an easy way because im not using a package manager?
    Thanks in advance

Beans

Re: Installing from source

I would suggest using the guide here: http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/firefox

it tells you how to set the firefox from Mozilla as your preferred browser

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Installing from source

I was wanting to use a 64bit version and mozzilla doesn't release 64bit builds at the moment. i also couldn't find a 64bit linux build of 3.5 anywhere to use with that method.