Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: HOWTO: Multimedia Keys

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: HOWTO: Multimedia Keys

here's my stupid newbie question of the day. He gives an example of his own xmacro script but what I dont understand is where to create the script and how to use xmacro the documentation avaliable has been absolutely no help because it pretty much presuposes that you know things that I do not...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wondering_jew
    here's my stupid newbie question of the day. He gives an example of his own xmacro script but what I dont understand is where to create the script and how to use xmacro the documentation avaliable has been absolutely no help because it pretty much presuposes that you know things that I do not...
    This isn't a question

xmacro reads from standard input, so a common syntax could be:

echo "<xmacro commands>" | xmacroplay :0

:0 is your $DISPLAY, because xmacro can be used to control remote hosts (screens) if you use <ip address>:0

Beans

I tried this howto and it works perfect! awsome! Now i can use every singe multimedia-key on my keyboard ... i love it!

-----------

But .. i forgot to map those two windows-keys next to my space-key ... and i can't find a way to "rechange" the configuration i made ...

This is what i did till now: i changed to xmodmap.conf again, and added the symbols for the two windowskeys. Afterward i copied the xmodmap to /etc and rebooted... but it doenst seem to work .. i still use the keymap without those windows-keys (but with all other multimediakeys)... so i tried to give the file a new name, and changed the postLogin/Default-File too .. but i still didn't work.

If i enter "xmodmap /etc/xmodmap.conf" manually it works like a charm and i get symbols for the two windowskeys ...

Any suggestions?

Ninnghizidha.

Beans

Some gentle guy on the wiki pointed out that gnome may overwrite xmodmap at startup (it uses xkb), son try to move your xmodmap.conf file to ~/.xmodmap and see if it works.

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Lightbulb Re: HOWTO: Multimedia Keys

In the current release of Ubuntu (Hoary), the multimedia keys seem to work provided you have selected your specific keyboard model in System->Preferences->Keyboard->Layouts.

You might also need to ensure that:
    • you are using the X11R7 kbd driver in xorg.conf
    • you do not have any custom Xkb settings in xorg.conf
    • you do not have any custom setkeycodes settings in your startup scripts

There is a similar problem with atkbd.c messages in the system kernel logs (dmesg) regarding scancodes e059 and e001. These scancodes seem to occur because of ACPI power savings messages that newer wireless keyboards send to the system. They do not correspond to any key.

I made these errors go away by adding
    Code:
    setkeycodes e059 120
    setkeycodes e001 121
    to my system startup scripts in a way similar to the way suggested elsewhere in this thread. I called the script /etc/init.d/powerkeys and made a symlink in /etc/rcS.d/S06powerkeys.

There is also a bug to fix this properly for the next release of Ubuntu (Breezy) at http://bugzilla.ubuntu.com/show_bug.cgi?id=8739.

Beans

Hi,

i have a question regarding the use of multimedia keys of external keyboards plugged into a notebookdockingstation. i have got a HP NC6000 Notebook with ubuntu breezy badger 2.6.8-10 .
    i would like to control the volume coming out from the jack of the dockingstation. This is the "pcm-channel" which should be controlled with the multimedia keys of my logitech keyboard. Now the keys work fine with the master-channel which controls the volume of headphone-jack on the notebook itself.

i looked at XKeysymDB but i didnt find any pcm-volume-up/down. Neither do i know how to tell the gnome-mixer-applet how to switch headphonejack and dockingstationjack for master-channel control. Has anyone an idea ?
    Thank you a lot.

Arvid
    Greetings from snowy L&#252;beck, Germany.
    Last edited by Apunkt; January 20th, 2006 at 11:51 PM.

Beans

Found a solution:
    http://www.ubuntuforums.org/archive/...p/t-79717.html

Thanks to the Ubuntu-Forum...
    Great.

Beans

Thank you very much for this tutorial.

The only thing missing, which I still need help with is the scroll wheel on my Microsoft Office Keyboard. Although Ubuntu thinks it is compatible with this keyboard, it isn't and I needed to program it manually.

However no one has been able to advise me about the scroll wheel. Can you help?

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Hey,

dmesg doesnt return anything when i hit my multimedia keys. I would use omke but i have no idea how to install it. (Damn newbies!) I have Acer Aspire 3694WMLi.

Thanks.

Beans

Hi people.

First of all, I'm an absolute newbie to linux. So please be gentle..

I've just recently installed Gutsy Gibbon and couldn't get my multimedia keyboard to work. It's a Samsung SEM-M2A, which looks exactly like SDM4500P. I've tried changing my keyboard model under Keyboard Preferences to SDM4500P, but the multimedia keys doesn't seem to work. When I use the Keyboard Shortcuts to assign shortcuts using my multimedia keys, pressing any of the multimedia keys will give me a SuperL. I've used keytouch and lineak, also doesn't seem to work.

When I use XEV to check the keycodes, it seems my multimedia keys are already somehow mapped. For example, when I press my "screen saver" key on my keyboard, it's actually sending the Ctrl+b command. Other multimedia buttons seems to be sending Ctrl-[whatever]. When I enter real console (ctrl+alt+F1), pressing my multimedia keys results in system beeps.

Any idea on how to get my multimedia keys working? Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by chapapa; October 21st, 2007 at 08:30 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123