hey guess what distro im using it for...........Fedora Core 3

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: HOWTO: Multimedia Keys

Quote Originally Posted by Magneto
    great post Piedmaro

hey guess what distro im using it for...........Fedora Core 3
    for some reason the /etc/xmodmap.conf file is not being read I only needed it for one key

also xev did not have any keycode for my audio volume up down or mute keys - i did get a hex code within keyboard shortcuts so they do work but I couldn't build a 100% functional xmodmap.conf for this logitech cordless internet pro keyboard - I have one media key that I tried to set up as a XF key as your guide stated and told gdm to see the xmodmap in etc but no joy
    i had been trying to see how to modify or to verify which application was the default media player or modify entries in the gnome keyboard shortcut app as well but can't find the information
    i changed a run_command and keybinding in gconf but it still will not work and the keyboard shorcuts app still sees a hex number rather than the XF86AudioMedia button that I added.

any ideas?

Beans

Nice howto, although the volume buttons on my Dell Inspiron 8100 lapto give no reaction at all, I'm afraid they are broken, as all the other function buttons work great .

Beans

Thanks

Magneto, make sure your /etc/X11/gdm/PostLogin/Default file is executable, and you have to use /etc/rc.local in place of /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh (I'm afraid you already know that).
    Oh, I'm still on fedora too, but just because I'm waiting for hoary to move all my stuff

TjaBBe, I read some laptops use acpi to handle some buttons, sorry I know very little about it since I don't own a laptop. (unfortunately )

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I got my volume buttons to work (they were just supported by the gnome keybinding app). But, I think they are adjusting the volume for the main speaker out channel on my sound card. I want the volume to control the headphone channel volume (like I have the volume control applet on the panel set up to do). Anyone know how to do this?

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

For anyone having problems check out xbindkeys its an app that will do all that piedmaro broke down but a little simpler

I couldnt get responses from some keys that were usable using xev or dmesg so this was a welcome workaround -

xbindkeys check it out it is worth it- load it through your init script like xmodmap

thanks for putting me on the right track Piedmaro - i now use my Xf86AudioMedia key for xmms - ctl+XF86AudioMedia for gmplayer and shift+ for xine and use aumix -v for the volume

I went to back to FC3 for cert training and discovered all those bugs were gone so I ditched gentoo and ubuntu on that box for it - still gentoo on my laptop and I will use Ubuntu Enterprise after april 6 but FC definitely improved - no more Dead Rat arguments

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by audax321
    I got my volume buttons to work (they were just supported by the gnome keybinding app). But, I think they are adjusting the volume for the main speaker out channel on my sound card. I want the volume to control the headphone channel volume (like I have the volume control applet on the panel set up to do). Anyone know how to do this?

Thanks.
    I was having the same problems as you but I found a solution. Use metacity to set up the buttons and then use the following command to control your volume.

amixer set headphone "level"

Where "level" is a absolute or relative value. The value ranges from 0-31 and to use a relative value just append a plus or minus sign to the end of the number. For example the commands I use are:

amixer set PCM 2+; amixer set PCM 2-

Then just use that for your global commands. I hope that helps.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Not sure what went wrong, but I had all my keys set up and working. But after I rebooted they stopped working

I tried: xmodmap /etc/xmodmap.conf
    but it didn't do anything and all my settings seem to be the same way as before I rebooted, any ideas?

Just checked and after I login it seems like the Default script in /etc/X11/gdm/PostLogin is not being run. But, xmodmap /etc/xmodmap.conf is not working either....
    Last edited by audax321; April 1st, 2005 at 08:34 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by audax321
    ...problems...
    After you run xmodmap does xev recognize your keys?

I had problems with my postlogin default script working. I ended up putting the command in my startup programs list with an order of 10.

This might cause your customized keyboard shortcuts to not work if your using that. It seems like it's horribly broken to me anyways. I just use metacity if I want to assign a shortcut.

Beans

Hi just curious.. i may have to be able to enable the gnome shortcut keys working. However my question is :

Is there a way to get the LED indicator working?
    There is a mute button on my laptop HP Pavillion zt3215AP (zt3000 series) with an led on it. In Window$ mode if it is pressed the mute is activated so it the LED on it.

Is there a way to make it workable under Ubuntu?

Ubuntu rocks!

Regards,
    Wolfman

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast