Thread: Sun Java 6

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Question Sun Java 6

My system is Hardy Heron and I am very happy with it on the whole. However, the last couple of weeks I have found that it is not up to some webinars I attend, in particular those which use a lot of small java applets opening up moveable child windows all over the place.

I recently attempted to use Oanda currency trading platform, www.fxtrade.com. Running from the web did not work at all. I was assured by their help person that downloading the desktop should work on Ubuntu, despite the fact that they only give instructions for windows and mac. However, I got a message that the desktop could not download because something was missing. Their tech people have subsequently e-mailed me to say that it looked to them like the java was not set up properly.

I have looked on Synaptic Manager and I have installed:
    sun-java-6-bin
    sun-java6-jrc

I have available but not installed the plugin and the fonts.

I am presuming that the plugin & perhaps fonts are what could be missing as, since I don't develop, the source code and development tools are unlikely to be needed.

What I want to know is; should their java based desktop work on Ubuntu, or is it dangerous to download?

Secondly, I have had bad experiences in the past with getting java in a knot. What is the correct way to download the missing files? Can I just download them from Synaptic Manager in the usual way, or do I need to completely remove the current java environment and reload everything together??

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Sun Java 6

Yes, try installing the Sun Java plugin from Synaptic.

Then you'll need to open a terminal and give the following command
    Code:
    sudo update-java-alternatives -s java-6-sun
    to set the Sun Java as the default JVM in your system. This will also make Firefox to use the Sun Java plugin and not the OpenJDK one.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Thank you very much, Kostkon. I did as you said and everything works perfectly.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Wow. Ubuntu forum support sometime really rocks!

Thx Kostkon