Thread: ..pdf markup similar to PDF XChange Viewer?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

..pdf markup similar to PDF XChange Viewer?

Q: Can anyone suggest a good solution for marking up .pdf's in Linux?

Possible solutions:

1) PDF XChange Viewer via WINE -- appears from <http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=9138&iTesting Id=15527> that' it's mostly working. Is anyone having any issues with this?
    2) native Linux .pdf markup tool -- anyone know which of these <http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/PDF> is closest to PDF XChange viewer in terms of markup capabilities via GUI?

I've been running Ubuntu on a Windows Vista 32 via Sun's VirtualBox for a while now. I'm considering making a complete migration over to Linux. But there a few sticking points. This is one of them. I'm a PhD student reading LOTS of .pdf journal articles and REALLY need a good solution for marking them up. PDF XChange Viewer really is great software for my purposes...but it doesn't look like there's anything close to it in Linux Am I wrong here?

Beans
    Distro

Re: ..pdf markup similar to PDF XChange Viewer?

hmm, maybe someone can at least comment on whether my question above was poorly stated or better asked in a different forum?

Beans

I am also searching a good pdf reader with annotating feature. I found pdf xchange viewer via wine a week ago. It does good job in highlighting, adding comment.... But the bookmark feature doesn't come with the free version. I want the bookmark feature. Let me know if someone know a pdf editor which can do markup plus bookmarking. How is Xjournal?

Pdf xchange is about the same as FoxitReader.

-Telescopic

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by telescopic View Post
    I am also searching a good pdf reader with annotating feature. I found pdf xchange viewer via wine a week ago. It does good job in highlighting, adding comment.... But the bookmark feature doesn't come with the free version. I want the bookmark feature. Let me know if someone know a pdf editor which can do markup plus bookmarking. How is Xjournal?

Pdf xchange is about the same as FoxitReader.

-Telescopic
    i used the free version for a while. then i shelled out the $45 to get PDF Tools bundled with PDF XChange Viewer pro. (Tools lets you manipulate pdfs really easily). i have to say it was totally worth the price. PDF XChange viewer is such a slick product.

so, it came up as a comment somewhere else, but I bet you'll find good, free .ps markup programs for free. so if you don't mind converting .pdf -> .ps that's an option.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

If highlighting/annotating is what you want, you might want to look into pdfedit and flpsed. The both are in the repos and can be installed with this command:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install pdfedit flpsed
    -o)
    /\\
    _\_V
    Message void if penguin is violated...Don't mess with the penguin.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have tried PDF xchange viewer on wine and its working !
    I am quite happy with it, No issues found yet.

Beans

I know this thread is dead, but for anyone else looking for a decent pdf markup tool, try xournal, it's listed as a note taker, and is great on tablets, but one of it's less known features is the ability to mark up PDF's.

It is simple to use, and has a very nice interface.

Code:
    sudo aptitude install xournal
    HTH someone.
    Last edited by mp035; July 8th, 2010 at 03:51 AM. Reason: added code

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

+1 for "xournal" , excellent program ...