Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526

Thread: Setup Guide:- Toshiba Dynabook UX/ NB200 / NB205

Beans

Thumbs up Re: Setup Guide:- Toshiba Dynabook UX/ NB200 / NB205

Quote Originally Posted by tsixlas View Post
    muffinman, your guide rocks.... but you didn't mention anything about the HUGE stuck problem that every Toshiba NB200 owner has. I gave a try to your solution but no luck for me. Sound not working and whenever you leave the mouse alone, even the system time stack...
    Cheers, muffinman, your guide cleared all issues in one go!

Just for completeness, regarding the issue tsixlas mentioned (geia sou tsikh...), a quote from: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupp...s/ToshibaNB205

1. You must still do this:

Kernel Boot Fix

As of kernel 2.6.31-18, there have been problems relating to speed and the system intermittently freezing. By default, the NB 205 (and other related models such as the NB 200) sometimes freeze and suffer from low performance due to a power-saving feature of the Linux kernel. Dramatic speed increases have been noted with this feature disabled (boot speeds increased by 20 seconds). If you wish, this feature can be disabled.

To disable the kernel feature (if using the GRUB2 bootloader), use a text editor as root to open the file: /etc/grub.d/10_linux

Find the section near the top that looks as follows:

save_default_entry | sed -e "s/^/\t/"
    prepare_grub_to_access_device ${GRUB_DEVICE_BOOT} | sed -e "s/^/\t/"
    cat << EOF
    linux ${rel_dirname}/${basename} root=${linux_root_device_thisversion} ro $2

Add the following to the end of that last line:

nohz=off

...so the full line reads:

linux ${rel_dirname}/${basename} root=${linux_root_device_thisversion} ro $2 nohz=off

Then run the following from the Terminal to complete the fix:

sudo update-grub

A reboot will be required to apply the change.

Beans

Re: Setup Guide:- Toshiba Dynabook UX/ NB200 / NB205

Quote Originally Posted by pdallas View Post
    Cheers, muffinman, your guide cleared all issues in one go!

Just for completeness, regarding the issue tsixlas mentioned (geia sou tsikh...), a quote from: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupp...s/ToshibaNB205

1. You must still do this:

Kernel Boot Fix

As of kernel 2.6.31-18, there have been problems relating to speed and the system intermittently freezing. By default, the NB 205 (and other related models such as the NB 200) sometimes freeze and suffer from low performance due to a power-saving feature of the Linux kernel. Dramatic speed increases have been noted with this feature disabled (boot speeds increased by 20 seconds). If you wish, this feature can be disabled.

To disable the kernel feature (if using the GRUB2 bootloader), use a text editor as root to open the file: /etc/grub.d/10_linux

Find the section near the top that looks as follows:

save_default_entry | sed -e "s/^/\t/"
    prepare_grub_to_access_device ${GRUB_DEVICE_BOOT} | sed -e "s/^/\t/"
    cat << EOF
    linux ${rel_dirname}/${basename} root=${linux_root_device_thisversion} ro $2

Add the following to the end of that last line:

nohz=off

...so the full line reads:

linux ${rel_dirname}/${basename} root=${linux_root_device_thisversion} ro $2 nohz=off

Then run the following from the Terminal to complete the fix:

sudo update-grub

A reboot will be required to apply the change.
    My gosh! What a nightmare!

Beans

All,

I have a Toshiba netbook NB305. During the install of 10.10 Netbook Edition and even after that, the computer would completely freeze (even the clock stopped ticking) after only 5 seconds or so until I moved the mouse or hit a key - then it would chug again... until of course it would freeze again. Ridiculous! I had to kit a key or keep moving the mouse to keep the install going and just operate in the OS once installed...

Anyway, as some have suggested it's a kernel / ACPI / Atom processor issue. I thought I had to do some crazy stuff like kernel boot parameters that would jack my ACPI (kinda like to have that with a unit running on battery)... however, I dist-upgraded to the latest kernel (2.35.), and the problem appears to be corrected.... until... it froze again. This time, no amount of mouse movement or keyboard activity will bring it back to life. So, one problem fixed and another introduced... still trying to find a solution here unless someone has already figured this out.

Thanks,

ponga

Beans

Hello, is anyone able to suggest a solution for the following-

I'm running Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook Remix on a Toshiba NB200-10Z (Omnibook and various other tweaks described on previous pages have been isntalled for ages)

I just upgraded the memory from 1GB to 2GB. Now, I'm not sure if this is related, but I just tried to open System Monitor and Hardware test and neither open.

I did a apt-get update, which has showed various Python dependency errors for the following- python-semanagem , python-selinux, python-sepolgen
    policycoreutils, selinux, python-gmenu, selinux-policy-default, python-audit, python-rpm, setroubleshoot, setroubleshoot-plugins, python-wxversion, python-wxgtk2.8

I don't know if this problem is memory upgrade related, or some kind of error from another software. Does anyone have any suggestions as to the best way to diagnose and fix this problem? Or are they a series of inter-related problems. (Pretty much everything else, software, Virtualbox etc still works fine)

Thanks.

Beans

Question Re: Setup Guide:- Toshiba Dynabook UX/ NB200 / NB205

Hi folks, had a good read through the thread and tried the instructions outlined in post #118. It didn't work for me, however I don't think the problem is with the drivers now. After running lsusb, I can see the adapter in question is recognised at boot.

On a side note, the bluetooth icon loads up at log on, however it indicates that bluetooth is on. When scanning from an external device, the netbook is undiscovered.

I'm running Natty on an NB200 and everything works except the bluetooth.

lsusb output:
    Code:
    Bus 005 Device 002: ID 0930:0508 Toshiba Corp. Integrated Bluetooth HCI
    Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 04f2:b128 Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd 
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Any help with this would be much appreciated.

Beans

That's completely bizarre to me, ever since lucid (I think) we've had full bluetooth support. Have you attempted to turn visibility on?

I know that may sound obvious, but just checking, since we have the same laptop and I know bluetooth works fine for me here. I need to rule out the simple first

Beans

Visibility is always on by default on the drop down menu at launcher icon however, when you click the bluetooth icon and load up the next window, it says it is off. So I try turning it off and on again a few times, nothing happens.

I'm confident with nix, been using for a good few years now, although i'm fairly new to Ubuntu.

My main nix server at home is running Natty, serving DHCP, DNS (bind9), NTP, TFTP (PXE), NFS, Samba, LDAP, MySQL, Apache...

I also run another Natty server now for Fuppes, Transmission, OpenTTD, Teamspeak, DNS Rep, plus a few AIR apps that I connect and disconnect to and from the various machines on my network. Got into playing around with this when I bought my iMac and realised X11 was all built in!

So far most things have gone smooth and Ubuntu is great. I'm really enjoying the community and I hope I can bring knowledge and support to others in the future.

Beans

I think you surpass myself in computer knowledge then!

If I recall correctly, Natty had my bluetooth working out of the box. Currently I'm running Crunchbang though, so maybe I need to double check? I'll check what I can observe. In the meantime, you might try switching around some kernels, but you may have already done that. Tell us anything you have tried.

Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526