Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Setup Guide:- Toshiba Dynabook UX/ NB200 / NB205

Beans

Re: Setup Guide:- Toshiba Dynabook UX/ NB200 / NB205

Quote Originally Posted by jeroenimo View Post
    Karmic koala runs fine so far, still no sound on the speaker, but there is a fix due, jaunty seems to be fixed in proposed.

I have Bluetooth running now and omnibook compiles fine now after some editing

here's how you do it:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install module-assistant build-essential
    Code:
    wget http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/362618/omnibook-source_2.20070211%2Bsvn20071217-1_all.deb
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -i omnibook-source_2.20070211+svn20071217-1_all.deb
    Code:
    sudo cd /usr/src/
    Code:
    sudo tar xjf omnibook.tar.bz2
    Code:
    sudo cd modules/omnibook/
    Code:
    sudo nano init.c
    hit ctrl-w and type "proc_entry->owner = THIS_MODULE;"
    when you get to that line add two // in front of it and make sure it look like this"

// proc_entry->owner = THIS_MODULE;

ctrl-o ctrl-x to save the file

now we compile omnibook

Code:
    sudo m-a build omnibook-source -O
    Code:
    sudo m-a install omnibook-source
    now we test

Code:
    sudo modprobe omnibook ectype=14
    The bluetooth should appear in you menubar

Now we make things persistent:

Code:
    sudo nano /etc/modules
    add the line "omnibook" (without "")

save the file

Code:
    sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/omnibook.conf
    add this line without "" "options omnibook ectype=14 userset=0 lcd=0 display=0 blank=0 battery=0 ac=0 bluetooth=1"

save the file and voila you are ready

reboot and Bluetooth should be fine, after sleep or hibernate it could be it malfunctions, but for that you can create a file that restarts bluetooth

like this:

Code:
    nano /etc/pm/power.d/89bluetooth
    and put this in:

"#!/bin/bash
    rmmod -f omnibook
    modprobe omnibook ectype=14" (without "")

Code:
    chmod +x /etc/pm/power.d/89bluetooth
    and after sleep hibernate bluetooth should work too
    Hi I am following your thread and get stuck at sudo cd /usr/src/

response is command not found

i have a NB 205 where the bluetooth is not working and I am trying to get your instructions done. Pls check and explain if something is wrong. This is a complete noob and am cutting and pasting from your thread. Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

jay140261,

just drop the "sudo" in the command line for cd command and it will work.

Correct command: cd /usr/src/

The same is true for the command two positions further down:

Correct command: cd modules/omnibook/

Hope that helps!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by RogerLK View Post
    jay140261,

Hope that helps!

Thanks. I had taken sudo off initiall but probably was in the changed directory. After your suggesting, opened the terminal window again and worked. Guess it can be intimidating but once you manage it, gives you that gleeful pleasure of having accomplished something.

thanks very much to you and to the initial Guru who laid out the steps. got bluetooth working!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jay140261 View Post
    Thanks. I had taken sudo off initiall but probably was in the changed directory. After your suggesting, opened the terminal window again and worked. Guess it can be intimidating but once you manage it, gives you that gleeful pleasure of having accomplished something.

thanks very much to you and to the initial Guru who laid out the steps. got bluetooth working!
    I had loaded all the bluetooth packages like kdebluetooth as well as other Bluetooth packages. Can I now uninstall them as the compiled omnibook works?

Are there any dependencies that I must take care of? thanks

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by RogerLK View Post
    jay140261,

Hope that helps!
    I had loaded all the bluetooth packages like kdebluetooth as well as other Bluetooth packages. Can I now uninstall them as the compiled omnibook works?

Beans

jay140261 is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message

Beans
    Distro

I do not believe you need to keep any of the Bluetooth packages you had installed previous to installing the omnibook package. I can not speak for any dependencies, though. But what can happen? Worst case you break your Bluetooth installation and just repeat the installation of the omnibook files. The only thing I have on my machine is the “Bluetooth Preferences” which came with the stock install of Karmic (if I remember correctly, has been a while ).

I’ve been following this thread for quiet some time and there have been many questions about what works, and what does not work. I found many great solutions in this thread – in fact, I’m at a point now where I would consider my NB205 working (almost) perfectly.

For those who are interested, this is a summary of my configuration and experience.

Specs:
    - NB205 with 2G RAM
    - Karmic with Kernel 2.6.32-02063202-generic (per post 141)
    - Omnibook modules installed for Bluetooth (per post 118)
    - Bleeding edge drivers for WLAN not installed (had them on previous Kernel and they worked great, but didn’t install properly on new Kernel and I didn’t feel like spending much time on tracking down the problem). The WiFi performance with the new Kernel does not appear to be much different from what I had before with old Kernel and bleeding edge drivers (no dropped connections so far).

SD Card drive: OK
    LAN: OK
    WiFi: OK
    Bluetooth: OK
    WiFi + BT together: OK (no interference issues, use BT mouse and headset w/ WIFI)
    External monitor: OK
    USB ports: OK
    Webcam OK

Reason for the Kernel upgrade was sound, so here are the test results:

Standard sound :

Internal microphone: OK
    External microphone: OK
    Internal Speaker : OK
    Headphones : OK
    Internal speaker off when headphones plugged in : OK
    Internal microphone off when microphone plugged in: OK

Sound via Bluetooth (on Motorola H375; after connecting, change input and output accordingly in sound preferences):

Headphone: OK
    Microphone: OK
    Automatic reconnection to standard sound when Bluetooth device switched off: OK

Hot Keys:

FN-ESC (mute/unmute): OK
    FN-F1 (lock screen): OK (after editing keyboard shortcuts)
    FN-F3 (suspend): OK
    FN-F6 (brightness down): OK
    FN-F7 (brightness up): OK
    FN-F10 (cursor overlay): OK
    FN-F11 (num pad overlay): OK
    FN-3 (volume down): OK
    FN-4 (volume up): OK

Not working (don’t get scan codes and don’t feel like messing with it; none of these functions are particularly important for me to have on a hot key):

FN-F2 (power options)
    FN-F4 (hibernate)
    FN-F5 (display select)
    FN-F8 (wireless options)
    FN-F9 (touchpad on/off)
    FN-F12 (scroll lock)
    FN-1 (zoom out)
    FN-2 (zoom in)

Kernel stability seems good, no problems so far except for hibernate not working (which is really the least of my worries, I’m not in the habit of using hibernate at all after several fatal crashes with data loss when trying to hibernate the “other” operating system).

Beans
    Distro

Oops, go caught by a smiley...

In my previous post, the reference to the omnibook modules is post 118.

Beans

Thanks Roger, I have had quite a good experience loading Ubuntu NBR 9.10. Except Bluetooth everything worked and when I did try to take the other programs like libgnome-bluetooth7 and libgnome-bluetooth-dev, it also took the network-manager-gnome out. Due to this I lost the network icon on the menu bar but the network still worked.

I also had loaded Linum Mint, which was also good but it does partitioning which was irritating as I use Acronis to back up. I had a backup of my dual boot and loaded that back after using fdisk to delete and recover the partition space back for Acronis Recovery Zone.

I am quite happy and if I could manage to get a Lotus Organiser 6 work around, i would probably leave Windows for good. I travel a lot and need to keep track of the number of days I am out of India to ensure that I am a non resident Indian for the purpose of tax.

Like yourself I do not bother about hibernation so I am not really trying hard. I of course do not have the sound working on the laptops speakers so will try that and see if I can manage to kickstart the same.

thanks and appreciate your listing as it confirms what works on my NB205.

Beans
    Distro

Has anyone had issues with using the auto changing wallpaper not being displayed / working on 9.10 & 10.04 alpha 2 UNR [B]ONLY [B]for Toshiba NB 200???? Desktop versions work fine.
    Other wallpapers fine but would be nice to have this working as well
    muffinman,

I assume you are trying "Drapes" to change the wallpaper automatically (if not, you can install it from the Ubuntu Software Center). The problem with drapes is that it will not start properly if put into "startup applications". Other apps seem to interfere with the loading process of Drapes. It will work fine, if you manually start the application. This is a bit annoying, but there is a work-around (this assumes that Drapes has been installed already).

Open a terminal and then type:

Code:
    cd /usr/bin
    sudo gedit drapestart
    This opens a new file with the name "drapestart" in Gedit.

Now (in Gedit) type:

Code:
    sh -c "sleep 20 && drapes &"
    Save the file and exit Gedit.

Now you need to make the file "drapestart" executable.

The easiest way (that's my opinion, command line purists will disagree) is this. In the terminal, type:

Code:
    gksudo nautilus
    Now you can navigate to /usr/bin and change the properties of "drapestart" to executable (check box). Close Nautilus. Close the terminal.

Start Drapes if it is not running already. Right-click on the icon in the panel and select "preferences". Click on the "general" tab and make sure the box "start desktop drapes on start" is unchecked.

Close the preferences window. Go to "system -> preferences" and open "startup applications". Add the "drapestart" file and close.

Next time you boot your computer, all apps in "startup applications" will load, but Drapes will only load after a 20 second delay. That takes care of the interference and the Drapes icon will show up in the panel.

Have fun!

Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast